Hash, Inc. Forums

Wannabe Tutorials

largento

Hmm... Maybe that's a leopard only feature, because it does zoom the image, too on mine.

Using FF & winders xp pro - the zoom only goes up to 100% image size. But with my screen resolution that I have set 1152 x 864, it's not a problem.

Now if Vern could forfeit his rightly owned macho-man status, and decrease his screen resolution ...as well as put on some pants....then maybe...

but then again, pdf works for those who haven't yet come to terms with impending decrepitudinosity.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you using Firefox 3?

FF 2.0.0.16 - and cannot use ctrl+, nor ctrl- on images (only works for text)

I click on your image (in your post) and the image comes up in a separate window at something like 92% scale.

If I click on the new image window, my icon for the cursor now looks like a "magnifyer" with a plus sign, and the result of clicking scales the image to 100%. The cursor icon changes to a magnifyer with a minus sign - and if I click again, the image goes back to 92%.

I can "infinite" zoom in photoshop of course, as well as thumbs plus, and other graphic programs.

I can read your images fine. But I'm wearing pants.

I can't put my pants on right now... I'm setting up my new computer. No one should wear pants when setting up a new computer. It causes dangerous static and can snag on the furniture and cause tripping. Additionally the pants can be used as temporary padding to prevent damage and scratches during set up.

-vern

He Vern, this might help. I just learned a new Mac trick yesterday: hold down the Control key while scrolling with your scroll wheel, and THE WHOLE FREAKIN DESKTOP ZOOMS! Scroll the other way and it goes back to 100%.

And Largento, great, great tutorials, nice design and nice use of a comic book approach. I only just found this thread today.

Gerry

Yes, if it is set up that way the scroll wheel could be used to do the "zoom" trick. I have that set with the key board though. However it is software zoom, it zooms the pixels and gets "smooshy" (like increasing image size in photoshope). Works in a pinch though.

-vern

Dagnabbit!

I never thought of the darn EXTRUDE to make a square! That WILL save time. I LOVE these tutorials. There so exciting. Waiting each week... I got in line Wednesday and camped out to make sure I got the first one.

;)

-vern

Somebody said they knew all this, but...

Well, I didn't know all this. Every time you do one of these, Largento, I either learn something I didn't know or lock in something I only sorta knew. Like I said, we could use 1,000 of these.

Well, as you may have read on The Wannabe Pirates thread, my iMac's hard drive went kablooey and I've lost all of my tutorial files!

I'm in the process of getting everything back to working and will be able to get back to rebuilding the assets I need, but unfortunately, there's no way that'll happen by tomorrow.

So, no new Wananbe Tutorial this week...

Thanks!

I am happy to say that I'm mostly back up to speed. There are a couple of non-pressing things that I haven't tackled yet, but everything else seems to be working.

I must say that I'm really digging the new super-thin Apple keyboard. I wasn't expecting to, but it's really nice.

Having to start over from scratch, but the Wannabe Tutorials will return tomorrow!

I was more concerned about the crashed hard drive than the tutorials! I am so relieved you got past that hurdle. That type of thing can be emotionally devastating. I know I've had some sleepless anxious nights, sweat pouring down my brow, desperately trying to boot my hard drive (and then frantically making back ups when I discover it was just a plug pulled out by mistake.) ;)

-vern

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, Vern... definitely not a fun experience. :-) Getting the new computer was almost entirely a step towards trying to make it easier for me if this were to happen again.

Sounds like I'm not the only person who looks like he's defusing a bomb every time he has to perform some repair on his computer. :-)

I've now had two hard drives go out on me and am no longer feeling any real confidence in the things. I definitely won't be turning off my Time Machine this time around! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Can you believe I completely forgot about the tutorial last week? I was on vacation and oblivious as to what day it was. :-)

I'm back at work now, and you can bet your sweet bippy I'll know what day Friday is this week! :-)

Largento, what are you using to lay out your tutorials? I noticed that the tutorial is just a big picture. If you are using something like InDesign or Illustrator, or Open Office, you can export it as a PDF file which will preserve your text instead of converting it into a single picture with everything else. This has a couple of benefits.

If someone is viewing the tut on a very large monitor, or one with a high resolution, the text may appear fairly small on their screen and they may want to zoom in a bit to read it. With a PDF, the text will scale and will remain crisp when someone zooms the document.

When you or someone wants to print the tut, the text will be much more sharp, which is easier to read and gives the impression of higher quality -- all for little or no extra work on your part.

If you ever compile all these tuts into a single online booklet, the text in a PDF file is searchable, so it would be easier for people to find what they are looking for. Also, it would be possible to make bookmarks for all the different chapters.

I would be happy to convert them for you if you need.

Dagnabbit! Now I have that dang song in my head...

Don't make your models from cp's

Just stitch and weave with your heart at ease

If you fail then don't be blue

'Cause breaking splines aint hard to do

Remember splines that held so tight

And you twist them all through the night

Think of all that they can do

Breaking splines aint hard to do

They say that breaking splines aint hard to do

Now I know, I know that it's true

Don't say that this is the end

Instead of breaking vectors I will be A:M splinning again

I sculpt a shape, but say goodbye

Still must give this mesh another try

Come on baby, let's start anew

-vern

Dagnabbit! Now I have that dang song in my head...

Don't make your models from cp's

Just stitch and weave with your heart at ease

If you fail then don't be blue

Remember splines that held so tight

And you twist them all through the night

Think of all that they can do

Breaking splines aint hard to do

They say that breaking splines aint hard to do

Now I know, I know that it's true

Don't say that this is the end

Instead of breaking vectors I will be A:M splinning again

I sculpt a shape, but say goodbye

Still must give this mesh another try

Come on baby, let's start anew

-vern

hee hee - FYI Neil Sedaka (writer of that song) is a cousin of mine (around 3rdish or so) - so I'll collect the royalties and pass them on to him. Also, FYI encore, so is Eydie Gorme (nee Edith Gormezano, married to Steve Lawrence). Most people here are probably too young to know about her.

Now why why why why can't I sing?

Now why why why why can't I sing?

I think that sort of talent skips over generations. I have a cousin who is an amazing bowler, but I couldn't get a strike if you paid me. I have JMS "John McCain Syndrome"... I can't lift my arms over my head. I often have panic attacks about getting maced by the police when I refuse to raise my hands over my head during a traffic stop... or a vice raid.

-----

Since I used the lyrics from the Carpenter's web site, I don't think Neil qualifies for ALL of the royalties. Actually, unless I sing this song somewhere I don't think anyone gets royalties... unless they pay me to stop immediately which is more than likely. ;) This is a result of my wasted youth and reading Mad Magazine song parodies. Try singing the "... AM Splinning Again..." line to the music... it's a tongue twister. So glad I don't have a web cam. The video of me singing this song as I wrote it would be quite... humiliating.

-vern

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
The next Wannabe Tutorial will have to wait until tomorrow. I ended up with only a few hours of sleep last night and had to work late tonight, so I'm bushed...

Get your rest. We'll still be here looking forward to your next tutorial. :)

Perhaps you can enlist of few of us to help pinch hit or assist from time to time.

It can't be easy to produce high quality tuts on a weekly schedule.

• 4 months later...

I really covered just about everything I wanted to cover with these tutorials. (I was really just wanting to pass on the few things about modeling in A:M that were gate-openers when I first started learning.)

However, I thought for my own purposes, it might be neat to deconstruct the Animated Christmas Greeting I did a few months ago and discuss what I learned and how I solved some of the problems and what I thought succeeded and what didn't.

Would anybody (besides me) find that helpful or useful?