Hash, Inc. Forums

Trying a walk cycle

• Admin

My first thought was that there wasn't enough sway back and forth but the more I watch it the more I convince myself that the angle of view (side view) isn't telling the whole tale.

In other words, I like it.

It could be that the chimp doesn't appear to be stooped over enough... in the reference video the chimp seems to exert considerable effort to remain standing tall.

Perhaps that is just my imagination playing tricks on me as well.

In the video reference the chimp almost always has a prop of some sort that effects his stance.

That may also be confusing my eye a little.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you've got a really nice walk cycle going for him. That's a keeper.

As for suggestions: I'd like to see another one with exaggerated swaying back and forth that hint at him struggling to intentionally maintain his balance.

This might take on the idea of him favoring one leg over another or something along that line.

Perhaps that is it then... great for an initial generic walk cycle but a bit too symmetrical for any performance bit.

But... you know this already I think.

Great character!

More please! :)

Looks great now how did you render that

It's three lights in a light list that only illuminate the character with "translate to" constraints so that they follow the character...the character is on a cyclorama. I'll attach some screen grabs to this post.

My first thought was that there wasn't enough sway back and forth but the more I watch it the more I convince myself that the angle of view (side view) isn't telling the whole tale.

In other words, I like it.

It could be that the chimp doesn't appear to be stooped over enough... in the reference video the chimp seems to exert considerable effort to remain standing tall.

Perhaps that is just my imagination playing tricks on me as well.

In the video reference the chimp almost always has a prop of some sort that effects his stance.

That may also be confusing my eye a little.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you've got a really nice walk cycle going for him. That's a keeper.

As for suggestions: I'd like to see another one with exaggerated swaying back and forth that hint at him struggling to intentionally maintain his balance.

This might take on the idea of him favoring one leg over another or something along that line.

Perhaps that is it then... great for an initial generic walk cycle but a bit too symmetrical for any performance bit.

But... you know this already I think.

Great character!

More please! :)

I'll add some renders from the Action window of just the cycle to the first post and I'll try to implement the suggestions in the next iteration. Thanks!

Ham_walk_lights_top_05_21_2017.png

Ham_walk_lights_bird_05_21_2017.png

• Hash Fellow

That's a good looking chimp, David!

And it's great to see some animation around here.

Here's a more clinical reference vid of the chimp walk that also compares it to human walk: https://youtu.be/S-0kiU25baM

After I look at that I see that even though the chimp walk posture is not nearly as upright as a human, many of the animation walk "rules" that I'm noting here still apply...

(I've only looked at the side view so far)

- Typically in walks, the cycle of the arms is slightly behind the legs. Here they seem to be synched and that gives a mechanical look.

- the angle of the foot to the calf around frame 20 is just about impossible. (Doubly so with a space suit on :) )

- the foot will rotate to much closer to vertical as the toe pushes off the ground and in the passing pose. (Avoids previous problem) In general, feet have a lot more rotation to them than we typically imagine.

- in real walks (chimp even more than human) the back foot remains in contact with the ground for a time after the front heel has contacted the ground. It stays there to push the body forward.

Even though the back heel has begun to peel off before the front heel makes contact, the front of the foot remains in place to push with for quite a bit after that and the toe doesn't leave the ground until the front foot has completely flattened out.

The chimp vid surprised me on that since the don't seem to be able to swing their thigh bone back very much, but somehow with their crouched posture they compensate and are able to keep the rear leg on the ground to push. Your chimp is bringing the rear foot forward at the instant of front heel contact. Too soon.

(One of the Animation Mentors once noted that whenever he needs to make a walk look weightier, his first gambit is to increase the time that both feet are on the ground)

-somewhat related.. watch the smooth arc the ankle of both the human and Chimp make as it is lifted and pulled forward. Yours has a 90° corner in its path as it transitions from up to forward.

- Straight front leg at heel contact is a major walk rule. Compare the human and chimp. Notice how the vid chimp manages to swing the front leg to nearly straight to make the next heel contact. That surprised me also. I thought it would be more like what you have animated, but no... he's still getting the most distance out of his stride that he can, much like we do.

- I like your arc of the arms as they swing and the overlapping motion of the forearm vs the upper arm.

last minute observation... the chimp is not doing the heel contact exactly like we do. I's almost like the outer edge of the foot is the "heel" that contacts the ground and then the inside of the foot flops down after that. More study needed to digest that.

• 2 months later...