Hash, Inc. Forums

Lighting Changes

I'm working away on a project which will combine AM animation with hand drawn animation in TVpaint. I will post some interim results in the WIP space later. To make it easier at the drawing stage, I've started rendering out at UHD resolution.. Unfortunately, it is taking a long time to render each frame, between 7:30 and 10:00 hours. Thats not a big headache, although it would be better to shorten the time, as I can get on with something else while waiting. However, what is of concern is an inconsistency in the renders.

These are png conversions from TGA originals

Mix Scene One 151.png

Notice the shadows and the lighting, it is almost as if someone stepped in front of the light source?

Mix Scene One 152.png

This is the next frame in the sequence.

The only animated change in the objects, rather than the lighting or setting.

It is more marked a few frames later in the sequence

Mix Scene One 159.png

with a darker area on the back wall below the cupboard?

and the next frame

Mix Scene One 160.png

They were rendered on the same machine by the same iteration of AM. Could anyone kindly offer a possible reason and cure? Thank you.

simon

Mac Osx 10.85,

Mac Mini, 2.3ghz, 4Gb RAM,

AM V18p

Is this close to what you are wanting?

This is 4K and takes 6 minutes

attachicon.gifFlourDanceSun-NoGAMP5x4kSMap1K125.jpg

Robert

Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated.

How did you get it to 6mins.Did you used 64bit AM ?

I was thinking of getting a windows machine just to use for rendering out with AM64 and nothing else. But haven't jumped yet.

regards

Simon

Wow- TV Paint, I had forgotten about that and googled it on your mention... it is from the 'Amiga days', when I was using Deluxe Paint by Electronic Arts. Is it a good program you can recommend for 2D animation?

Mat

I too used TVpaint on the Amiga, much preferred it to Deluxe Paint as it happens.

This TVpaint is not the same unfortunately.

Its made by a French company and is a very good 2D animation program.

https://www.tvpaint.com

I bought it when doing a course, so got it at educational price. Otherwise its rather expensive. There are two flavours of it, standard and Pro. A staff member on the course advised me not to bother with the Pro version and, sadly, I took that advice. Wish I'd got the Pro version now. I've barely touched it, let alone scratched the surface.Hoping to use this project to gain experience for the next one and take it a few steps further along. It has a lot of features and its emulation of traditional media is first rate. Rather than me waffle on about it, try the Aaron Blaise tutorials on Youtube ?

This is one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_B8lB3Gf_w

I have tried it yet but, Studio Ghibli released the 2D software they use, as Freeware. Its supposed to be very good. Might be worth looking up if interested ?

regards

simon

https://lifehacker.com/opentoonz-the-2d-animation-software-used-by-studio-ghi-1767833445

• Hash Fellow

Is this close to what you are wanting?

This is 4K and takes 6 minutes

attachicon.gifFlourDanceSun-NoGAMP5x4kSMap1K125.jpg

Robert

Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated.

How did you get it to 6mins.Did you used 64bit AM ?

I was thinking of getting a windows machine just to use for rendering out with AM64 and nothing else. But haven't jumped yet.

regards

Simon

What I did is to edit the lighting to not take so much time.

IS IT THE APPEARANCE YOU WANT?

If it is I can show you how to set this up. If it isn't what you want yet, I can modify it some more.

What I did is to edit the lighting to not take so much time.

IS IT THE APPEARANCE YOU WANT?

If it is I can show you how to set this up. If it isn't what you want yet, I can modify it some more.

Robert

Thank you again.

The lighting and the shadows look fine, I will have to look more closely tomorrow when the current render finishes and the memory becomes available.

The biggest difference appears to be the lack of reflections in the mixing bowl and of the casserole pot on the glass top surface of the cooker.. The cooker is less important but the mixing bowl is quite important in the overall scheme.

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

Here is an update. This takes 10 minutes at 4K

Reflections are expensive time-wise.

I took them off the coffee mugs since they were barely detectable anyway and put on a glossy specular reflection.

The mixing bowl and stove top do have reflections. I put a gradient material on the mixing bowl that fade the reflection from 95% at the edges to 15% in the middle to more accurately mimic the appearance of glass.

FlourDanceSun-8b-125_10Mins.jpg

This version has closer shadows and takes 11:15...

FlourDanceSun-8c-125_1115 Mins.jpg

Here is an update. This takes 10 minutes at 4K

Reflections are expensive time-wise.

I took them off the coffee mugs since they were barely detectable anyway and put on a glossy specular reflection.

The mixing bowl and stove top do have reflections. I put a gradient material on the mixing bowl that fade the reflection from 95% at the edges to 15% in the middle to more accurately mimic the appearance of glass.

attachicon.gifFlourDanceSun-8b-125_10Mins.jpg

Robert

Thank you very much indeed for your help, much appreciated.

Could you please send me the details of the changes and how to apply them and I'll try them out?

On a related theme.

I was checking them last night and found another 'mis -render'. Stopped it on render pass 2, of 3, and redid it. No error second time around. Its a bit frustrating.

More positively, started rendering on two's as thats how they will be used in the drawings ( should have done that earlier ).

regards

simon