Hash, Inc. Forums

Scene for my animation

• Admin

I like!

One question: Shouldn't the telephone poles all pretty much point up in 'the same' direction?

Unless of course you the hill we are seeing is really a sphere and you are rotating the hill around to fool the camera into seeing the telephone poles upright. In which case... nevermind.

Rodney

thanks for the replies everybody. I'm in a hurry right now, but I'll answer all your questions soon.

One quick answer though...

Bakerrod: It is a sphere that the poles are on. The animation is going to take place on basically a really really small planet that the robot drives around and around. He annoys all the residents because he keeps driving past their houses...

Here's a very basic picture of how it's going to end up. (Please note, this was just a quick photoshop job, the final will be much better quality)

world.jpg

• Admin

AhOh. Almost sorry to let the secret out of the bag. :unsure:

Excellent! An old trick expertly implemented (if I may say so) by you.

Wish I would have thought of that myself!

Keep on posting! This (and your project) is gettin' good.

Rodney

Okay, now that I have a little more time I can answer some of your questions.

First of all I'd like to say thank you to everybody who replied...I love getting feedback on my work

Nixie - Yes, I will change the sky image. Right now it's just a simple material. I'll probably end up making a nice texture in photoshop sometime.

mrsl13 - I believe this took about 8 min. to render.

jfirestine - My lighting right now is 5 kleigs with soft shadows. I have 4 pointing from the sides and one from straigh above. These combine to create (IMO) nice soft outdoor lighting.

Dalemation - I've done some animation tests, but I haven't started on the final animation yet.

I'll hopefully have some new pics up soon, thanks for looking at this thread.

I think you should see the problems with the contrast here as an opportunity... lol

Seriously- I think you should texture the hovercraft with a more thoughtful and artistic approach than simply solving a problem. What's the little robot done with his hovercraft in the past? Any travel stickers? Hovercraft derby meet stickers? How did he acquire it? Was it bought as a piece? Assembled piecemeal? Does the robot love his little hovercraft? So he's painted it? Maybe not so well??? Maybe he's left various handmarks on it- you know like aussie aboriginals on rocks? There's a LOT you could do here that would lend well to the overall narrative of your story by adding to the *character* of the robot.

Personalize the craft as you already have by your interesting design of it (the batteries).

Maybe battery acid leaked on the back end?

Don't overdo the details, but have some cohesive appraoch to what you're doing and why.

Sorry, long lecture, but I wouldn't waste my typing on someone who's project hadn't shown the promise yours does. I want to see this animation come together!

• Admin

Yeah... what Dearmad said then! :)

The black is too stark. While it does help to bring focus to the robo it is at the expense of seeing the vehicle.

I wouldn't go back to the chrome though. Perhaps a dull gray.

Or once you've decided the back story on how the robo acquired the car you can search the internet for car ads and borrow from their look.

His inclination toward speed might be served by a glossy red too.

I like the dirt you had on it before... that seems to be an indication that the robo doesn't take the time to clean the car... indicating (perhaps) he's got better things to do than clean his car. Like drive... vrroooooooom!

If you go for the ultra clean look maybe he spends a lot of his time driving... cleaning... driving... cleaning... (I don't know just going with the flow here)

The direction you've been heading seems to indicate he doesn't like to stop too much though. So the "lived in" dented and used look seems best to me.

That would also leave room for the sequel when he eyes "the new car"... ;)

best,

Rodney

• Admin

And...

Don't forget to put a junk yard filled with old batteries somewhere on your world.

Either that or a recycling factory to cover what he does after driving all over the place, running out of battery power.

This will build nicely into the robos excitment when he opens his shiny new ultrapower "rechargable" hydrocel batteries during the Christmas TV Special! :D

Rodney

• Admin
This is what I had before: (See car picture)

Try dropping the refection on this and the robo should stick out appropriately.

If you have time maybe you could experiment with subtle shades of color... I'm thinking red.

Rodney

• Admin

If your gonna add the shark teeth I suggest taking it all the way around the front.

Having it stop on the side abrubtly like that is... a little awkward.

You might add just a tad of transparency to the decal as well to help blend it in.

(I like the decaled flames!)

Hi Mark,This looks pretty cool. Love the flames :D .

Funny how the grass is greener, I think your robots great and have been following this thread with interest. Whereas my stuff is just...well..stuff :D

I hate to sound like I'm promoting but have you tried using a Skycast light or Skydome? considering the setting and the nooks and crannies in your model,I think either woudl work a treat.

thanks for all the replies...please keep them coming, they're my main motivation for doing work on this

two new pictures. First, the almost final hovercraft. Unless someone has a problem with a part of it, I'm happy enough with it.

robocar14.jpg

Next, two of the costumes that the robo will be seen in. I'll eventually make a big wrench for the mechanic to use.

poses.jpg