Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Exercise 14 - Playing Marble

Good job John. The only thing to watch for would be the kid would have take a more distributed stance in order to handle the weight of the bottle that he is picking up. Maybe have one leg back and arch his back to show him really feeling the weight of the bottle.

Just my .02 though

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exercise 14: Playing With Marble

John Bailey

August 25, 2006

[attachmentid=19998]

http://media.putfile.com/Party-Time-88

Comments: Thom's leg bones don't show up in the model outside of the modelling window. Though obviously they're in there. How come? :unsure:

JohnnyB

Silly question, but are they marked as hidden in the model? Seems like if they were marked as hidden, they would be hidden in the modellign window as well. :(

Exercise 14: Playing With Marble

John Bailey

August 25, 2006

[attachmentid=19998]

http://media.putfile.com/Party-Time-88

Comments: Thom's leg bones don't show up in the model outside of the modelling window. Though obviously they're in there. How come? :unsure:

JohnnyB

Silly question, but are they marked as hidden in the model? Seems like if they were marked as hidden, they would be hidden in the modellign window as well. :(

Thank you for responding.

No, the leg bones[attachmentid=20020] not hidden in the modelling window. The eyes are all open (un-marked with the red X) and you can see them in the modelling window. In the Choreography and Action windows, however, they're all listed in the Project Workspace window as well as in the properties window. Yet there's no leg bones in the model.

I can select them in the Project Workspace but can't manipulate the bones. It's pretty wierd! :blink:

Legless_Thom.jpg

Okay...lemme grab out my thom model.....ill see what i come up with

BTW, can you show me a snap shot of ALL your bones in the choreography workspace?

Well for one....your thom is in an action window.....you need to makes sure you are in a modeling window....then unhide his bones then save it...i would at least try that for starts.

Okay...lemme grab out my thom model.....ill see what i come up with

BTW, can you show me a snap shot of ALL your bones in the choreography workspace?

Well for one....your thom is in an action window.....you need to makes sure you are in a modeling window....then unhide his bones then save it...i would at least try that for starts.

I tried that. The only bone I could find that was hidden was the root.

Here he is in the Choreography window and in the modelling window.

[attachmentid=20022][attachmentid=20023]

Choreography_Window.jpg

Modelling_Window.jpg

so.....the bones show up in the model window but not in any other?

That is strange

Hmm...okay....is it possible that...there are "2" different thom models.....and the one you edit in the model window is a dirrerent one?

Did you save the thom model (the one with the bones showing) as a different model....

cause that could cause a problem....all you would have to do is import the model with the bones showing.....

so.....the bones show up in the model window but not in any other?

That is strange

Hmm...okay....is it possible that...there are "2" different thom models.....and the one you edit in the model window is a dirrerent one?

Did you save the thom model (the one with the bones showing) as a different model....

cause that could cause a problem....all you would have to do is import the model with the bones showing.....

I just checked some other models, Knight, Eddie, Keekat - no leg bones in any of them! I reset the program to default values and still no leg bones. I recently upgraded from V12 to V13. Could this be a bug in 13? :huh:

JohnnyB,

Nothing knew here. Its not a bug.

You must have missed the link in the last exercise.

Some things you should know before you begin Exercise 13

Rodney-

I did that. At first I was surprised by my version of the rig, then I read through the link and had to unhide all of the bones in the rig. Now they all show up in the modelling window. Check out the pictures I posted on the previous page. The bones are missing only in the Choreography and Action windows. Today, I went back and hid the un-hid the root bone with a shift-click and now I have everything but the thigh, calf and foot bones. :blink:

OK! I loaded Knight into Choreography, shift-clicked his Root Bone and the leg bones are all back. Whew! :D

Thank you!

JohnnyB

• Admin
OK! I loaded Knight into Choreography, shift-clicked his Root Bone and the leg bones are all back. Whew!

Nothing feels quite like success. :)

Glad you rediscovered the bones.

I really really REALLY need to put this information somewhere it can be linked to and read easily don't I?

Rodney

I really really REALLY need to put this information somewhere it can be linked to and read easily don't I?

Rodney

There's a lot of valuable information that could stand a little organization. I think the location is great! Far be it from me to critique free info, which has been absoulely invaluable in helping me better understand A:M, and your efforts in putting it all down in one single spot has been great. (note to reader. If you do not have Rodney's Useful Links bookmarked, you're missing out!)

Having said that, it could use some editing (*ugh*). And since editing (*ugh*) keeps us from our favorite task, animating (*yay!*), I'd be happy to help out where possible, rather than lay the rather herculean task at someone else's feet alone.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Name: Al Dinelt

Exercise Completed: Exercise 14: Playing Marble

Date Completed: October 26, 2006

Instructor: TAoA:M

I am at home sick today and tired of laying in bed, so thought I would give exercise 14 a try. Nothing fancy, and now I am going back to bed.

[attachmentid=21721]

exercise_00.jpg

• Admin
I am at home sick today and tired of laying in bed, so thought I would give exercise 14 a try. Nothing fancy, and now I am going back to bed.

Sorry to hear you are sick Al.

Sleep well and hope you are feeling much better tomorrow. :)

(If only I could accomplish so much when I'm sick)

Sorry to hear you are sick Al.

Sleep well and hope you are feeling much better tomorrow. :)

(If only I could accomplish so much when I'm sick)

Thanks Rodney. Haven't had much luck sleeping, so I moved on to exercise 15 tonight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Name: Michael Fortunato

Exercises Completed: Fourteen - Marble

Date Completed: January 13th, 2007

Instructor: Das Book.

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: None. Very nice and easy tutorial.

Comments: Took a break from modeling to try a bit of procedural texturing. I completed it as written, however, I did a bit more experimenting. Made Thom look more like granite than marble, but I liked it so what the heck :P!

Thanks!

- Michael

post-8824-1168676742_thumb.jpg

Name: Joseph Gamblin

Exercise Completed: Exercise 14

Date Completed: January 20, 2006

Instructor: None / Manual and Online Video tutorial

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: I tweaked it a bit, but I still don't think I've got the shine of marble. Well, more fun for later.

post-7177-1169317330_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Al -

Now that's a fantastic use of the Marble tutorial. Her swimsuit looks excellent! She's quite stylin', I must say :D. I think you're the first person to texture a portion (group) of a model rather than the entire model. Nice job!

EDIT: My apologies, JohnnyB also selected a portion of a model (the Thom model) and textured it with marble (sorry, Johnny!)

- Michael

Name: Jeremiah M. Faries

Exercise Completed: #14: Playing Marble

Date Completed: Feb 11, 2007

Remarks: AniMATion ;) I'm not sure why the final render was such a large file... perhaps the brick wall? At any rate, I had to compress it to a lower quality to get the file to a reasonable size so it is a bit lossy... :( I'm a bit of a nut about lossy images which is why my files tend to be on the large side....sorry.

exercise_14_drinkme_small.mov

Jeremiah - That animation was brilliant! Very well done. It really made me laugh. Excellent use of what you have thus-far learned in TAoA:M and applying it.

Caleb - drinking on the job, eh? (strange both you and Jeremiah have slightly similar themes). The knights perfectly posed - out like a light. I guess that should teach the knight never to drink from strange marble-colored bottles!

- Michael

• Admin

Clinton,

You should have seen my expression on viewing your last.

I read "fallingbottle" and said to myself "self... this ought to be good."

Loaded your file and then watched as the marble bottle fell.

Is there more to my story than that? Um.. no.

(Somewhere in the back of my mind I imagine that bottle is still falling though) :P

or as Sigmund Freud would say, "Sometimes a falling bottle is just a falling bottle."

Rock on Mr. Rocksmith! :)

(Somewhere in the back of my mind I imagine that bottle is still falling though) :P

Yeah, it still is falling, I was trying to set up the ground as actual ground and have it bounce off it, but it didn't work. I think I'm supposed to make a square to sit on/under the ground for the bottle to bounce off. I'll learn that later no doubt.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Name: Ralf Kampp

Exercise Completed: #14 (Playing marble)

Date Completed: 19th March, 2007

Remarks: After all these hard exercises about modelling a face and animating it, this exercise was like holiday :-)

post-10659-1174259800_thumb.jpg

Name: Big E

Exercise Completed: #14 (Playing marble)

Date Completed: March 24, 2007

Remarks: After all these hard exercises about modelling a face and animating it, this exercise was like holiday :-)

LoL Here Here!! Only problem is my program never saved it the first time... I swear this program is gonna bite the bullet on project 20 i just know it...

post-10007-1174727992_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello I'm still here....LOL I've been on the road. Takeing a break.

Exercise 14 Playing Marble Done

Will have a video of it soon learned a lot about material and the differn't types of material that you can play with.

I didn't make the wine bottle in to marbel cause I got a some marbels down on the ground for the sling shot.

In the video the wine bottle proble be marbel.

Playing_Marbel.jpg

• 1 month later...

Name: Chris

Exercise: {checks thread name. "Yep"} Playing Marble

Date: 8-16-2007

Teacher: The A of AM (paperback)

Notes: I've wanted to do this scene since I saw the exercise on the forum. I hope I get a giggle out of someone. :)

The actual exercise lasted maybe 10 minutes. The other 2-3 hours were used to make a few more marble materials, model Thom-ette, and set up the scene.

post-8837-1187056511_thumb.jpg

Thom's right shoulder is the only thing that bugs me.

How's my Thom-ette, BTW? ;)

• 1 month later...

I have a question on this exercise, hope someone can explain this one to me.

I've followed the instructions for setting up the new material and it looks exactly like the example. However, when I apply it to a model the color is that of the second attribute. I suspect it is some setting I've missed, but I'm at a loss to figure out which one. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • Admin
I have no problem making a material but once I drag it onto my model it just shows up as a solid color and not as the one in the material window. Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this?

Yes. You must edit the settings of the material in some cases. I think in this case you might need to change the scale settings.

(This is entirely a guess)

Is it possible that you've created your model at a really small scale?

If you did then the material shown on it is only that part that exists at that point in 3D space.

Try scaling the model up A WHOLE LOT and see what happens.

And, as KTW found out - it can't be said often enough - you have to RENDER to see the the marble. It won't show up in shaded view. Materials are number-crunch intensive enough that there's no way do do them in real time. Maybe you did that, but a reminder is perhaps in order.

And you don't have to render the whole thing - that can take ages. Just press 'Q' and drag a small square over the area with the right mouse. That will quick render just that small area, just so you can see the material.

(I just saw Chrury's for the first time. Don't know how I missed that one. Love the Thomette!)

• Admin
(I just saw Chrury's for the first time. Don't know how I missed that one. Love the Thomette!)

I missed it too. Sorry Chrury!

The further adventures of Thom are always a source of interest to me.

Someday someone should make an entire Thom movie. :)

Glad to see you've found your problem Kevin.

Thanks for that tip on rendering too.

That one seems to come up often enough that we need to highlight it at the beginning of the lesson.