Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Exercise 6: The Door's Stuck

John,

Good start, although I think you could refine it to make it better. Overall, your animation seems rushed, it's like you were trying to put too much in too short of a period of time. Don't be afraid to stretch it out. Even though the exercise says to animated him for five seconds, I wouldn't take it as set in stone. There are some things that do jump out. First, your character is actually floating in the beginning. On his second step he begins a slide over to the door. Once he reaches the door, he seems to go crazy in a sense. There is alot of slipping and popping of joints that could be corrected by adding some hold keyframes in. Also when you keyframe your door to open, you should put a keyframe in the beginning to hold in place. The door has this jumping effect going on. I would watch out for the popping of the joints though. These are just my opinions though. I think with some revision you could have a great piece there.

Keep up the good work.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sam,

I would work on the slipping of his feet and the door opening before you want it to. Adding some hold keyframes and make sure that they have zero slopes on their curves will make sure your Shaggy's feet stay in place before you want them to move up. Same for the door.

Good job otherwise.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Great program! I've been working through the tutorials and I am just getting started with this tutorial and have already run into problems!

I am trying to make Shaggy's foot and leg move up to the door frame after he yanks back and forth on the door knob, starting at frame 00:02:00 and ending at frame 00:02:15. Instead of this happening over a span of 15 frames it starts to happen at the beggining of the animation. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Leo73,

I went back to the beginning of the animation at 00:00:00 and clicked on the feet and the pressed the force keyframe button and still had the same problem. I also tried forcing a keyframe with a foot was selected at 00:02:00, and then moved the foot at 00:02:01. Now this should make the foot move very quickly right? Unfortunately the same thing happens... the foot moves very slowly from the first frame.

Am I missing something here? I haven't seen anything in the book yet about how to use the force keyframe button. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

John, :)

Don't fret you posted in exactly the right place! Some posts don't get responses as they get buried by other posts on accident. Rodney is a busy man, and he's all over the forum. I'm sure if he accidentally missed it, then he will definitely take a look now.

I took a look at it though and I think it looks excellent. Be careful of his one foot falling through the floor there for a little tiny bit after the kick. Very nice job though and well done. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see more from you!!!

Teresa

• Admin

John,

My apologies. I thought I had responded.

I definitely remember watching Shaggy kick in the door!!!

He's getting frustrated entirely to easy these days. :P

Sometimes I do miss a post here and there but as you near completion I go back and collect imagery from each exercise to add to your certificate. If I missed it the first time I'll see it then.

I do realize feedback is important so I encourage that.

Better than feedback from me though is the feedback you'll recieve from your peers.

Everyone that is working on TAoA:M is encouraged to GET LOUD!

Let people know what you think... no one generally has to change anything... but it's so much more fun to complete these exercises together.

Again... my apologies.

You did a great job sticking those feet to the floor and hands to the door (knob).

As you know... that has got to be the most difficult thing to do in this one.

Best,

Rodney

• Admin

Nice. That's a slightly new take.

It's always fun to be surprised on this one as you would think just about every conceivable idea has been put to test here.

I'm always glad to see that isn't the case. :)

Good job tackling those contraints!

Rodney

Yes....very neat stuf, i love watching these exersise it pretty neat seeing all of the ways shaggy get through the door...=)

BTW rodney.....when will my certificate be done? =(

I finished TAoA:M in january!

Not to rush you just to remind you that im still in the list of waiting.....Or did i miss the thread with the certifacates?

Hmmm....i've always wondered why shaggy just doesent walk around the door?!?

• Admin

I can't recall who it was but someone presented that (Shaggy walking around the wall) as part of their solution. As I remember it was after failing to open the door of course.

Concerning certificates...

Your patience should pay off for you as there is something new and (I think) very cool in the works.

Hash Inc is waiting on me... so I'm the bottleneck.

I can't say exactly when but I can say, "Make sure Hash Inc has your correct address"! ;)

Rodney

Concerning certificates...

Your patience should pay off for you as there is something new and (I think) very cool in the works.

Hash Inc is waiting on me... so I'm the bottleneck.

I can't say exactly when but I can say, "Make sure Hash Inc has your correct address"! ;)

Rodney

Oh, cant Wait!

Better make sure about the adress. <_<

Man, that was quite a jump up in difficulty from the last exercise. Sorry that the clip's so small, but I just couldn't get in the limit any other way without zipping the file, and I know that scares people. I really did try compressing the heck out of the thing, but it was still 2.5 meg. Anyhoo, here's exercise 6, done July 11th, no instructor, just the book and my own mad skillz. :P Just kidding, the timing needs a little work. This is one I'm going to do again after more practice.

tinydoor.mov

Name:Jason Young

Exercise Completed:Exercise 6 The door is stuck

Date Completed:14/7/2006

Instructor:The Manual(which i didn't read thoroughly)

Remarks/Suggestions for improvement:None really,the manual has it pretty much covered(make sure you read it though!)

Oh Boy where do i start on this.If you are going to do a scene with multiple camera shots do the following:

1)Do a story board

2)Do timings for the story board

3)Make sure you can do the animation you want to create,i.e.Practise before you commit to render any of the scenes.

4)Make copy's of the project so if you make a complete dog's dinner of a Chor you wont spend hour's re-creating the set.

5)Have a sense of humor when it all goes **** up.And promise to make it again when you have gotten over the six day's spent trying to do something you are not ready to do just yet.

Here it is in all it's unfinished glory. :o

Jay

http://media.putfile.com/Exercise-6-The-door-is-stuck

I didn't know about the Sorensen codec, so here's the exercise in a bigger format. I think I may have overdone the compression a little :)

Much better.

Wow, just 105K? Next time make it bigger still. You have a whole Meg to work with :D

Name:Jason Young

Exercise Completed:Exercise 6 The door is stuck

Date Completed:14/7/2006

Instructor:The Manual(which i didn't read thoroughly)

Remarks/Suggestions for improvement:None really,the manual has it pretty much covered(make sure you read it though!)

Oh Boy where do i start on this.If you are going to do a scene with multiple camera shots do the following:

1)Do a story board

2)Do timings for the story board

3)Make sure you can do the animation you want to create,i.e.Practise before you commit to render any of the scenes.

4)Make copy's of the project so if you make a complete dog's dinner of a Chor you wont spend hour's re-creating the set.

5)Have a sense of humor when it all goes **** up.And promise to make it again when you have gotten over the six day's spent trying to do something you are not ready to do just yet.

Here it is in all it's unfinished glory. :o

Jay

Right on Jay. I like the "going the extra mile - above & beyond the call of duty" attitude. I especially like those sky-lights, I'm currently working on my house putting sky-lights in the living room :D

I love the intro and the credits, very nicely done. Can't wait to see the finished work.

Good job.

Right on Jay. I like the "going the extra mile - above & beyond the call of duty" attitude. I especially like those sky-lights, I'm currently working on my house putting sky-lights in the living room :D

I love the intro and the credits, very nicely done. Can't wait to see the finished work.

Good job.

Cheers Dhar,

One thing i am really proud of is the lighting.I spent around a day and a half experimenting to get the right look,the main lights were done with two lights at the same intensity,height & width with one being a yellow and the other being a light blue.Iused a key light in behind the door to give some light to shaggy when he is interacting with it(it was too dark without it) and a light at the back of the gallery to enhance the space again in light blue.The actual editing of the piece was done in Windows Movie Maker(and was sorely needed).The piece has approx 20 or so seconds left to run to complete the scene and do the reveal which i think will be quite good,i just need to take a break and chill out from all the mistakes i made getting this far.

Jay

:blink:

• Admin

James,

You're crackin' me up. :)

I like the ending. Makes me think Shaggy has entered a mirror world or something...

Who is that? Why is he Shaggy's nemisis? Will he EVER get through that door?

If the scene could be setup in such a way as to conceal the other Shaggy's access to the door...

Never mind... it works great as you've got it. Sorry to hear you lost the middle part. I'm sure that would fit in well.

I like Shaggy's walk through the door at the beginning even more.

Nicely animated!

Rodney

Jay said:

One thing i am really proud of is the lighting.I spent around a day and a half experimenting to get the right look,the main lights were done with two lights at the same intensity,height & width with one being a yellow and the other being a light blue.Iused a key light in behind the door to give some light to shaggy when he is interacting with it(it was too dark without it) and a light at the back of the gallery to enhance the space again in light blue.The actual editing of the piece was done in Windows Movie Maker(and was sorely needed).The piece has approx 20 or so seconds left to run to complete the scene and do the reveal which i think will be quite good,i just need to take a break and chill out from all the mistakes i made getting this far.

You should be proud too. Great work.

There's more? Great!

Looking forward to the reveal. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Thanks Glen.

You really hit all the required elements on this one.

Perhaps best of all... no sign of foot slippage.

This class (the lot of you working through TaoA:M right now) are doing exceptional work.

Keep it up!

So I thought I'd be clever, and make Shaggy walk through the doorway when it was all over.

I lay down my path, set a path contraint on Shaggy, and add the standard 'swagger' action on Shaggy. I then set the ease factors so he starts on the path and ends on the path on the right times, rather than spending the duration of the chor moving down the path.

Then I get a strange behavior. Shaggy does go down the path, but he only wiggles his toes! How weird is that? I make sure the chor range of the actions don't overlap, and I realize I don't have any transition, but I just want to see Shaggy lift his feet! (My parents were pretty rigorous about making sure I didn't shuffle my feet.)

I haven't had much luck chaining actions together, but I know it doesn't come down to luck, but the fact I'm missing something. From my reading on the forums, I *think* I've got all the essential elements, but there must be something I've missed.

Does anything stick out obviously?

name: Elizabeth

date: i am pretty sure it was august 6

who helped?: the manual

remarks: it help to read all of the instructions (at first i for got to read the front page of the chapter lol)

ok it says the file size is to big ill have to go back and make it smaller

• Admin

...or compress it with a program like Stuffit (for Mac) or Winzip (for Windows).

I think the concensus is that Sorenson 3 with the .MOV format is the best compression with highest quality straight out of A:M.

When in doubt render out to sequential Targa (.TGA) files at a high quality then using them to create lower quality versions.

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Jim Pappas

Exercise Completed: Exercise 6, The Door's Stuck

Date Completed: Aug. 28

Instructor: AM forums, tutorials

Remarks: This one is really a good test of fire! I ended up investing in Quicktime Pro so I could assemble the soundtrack in my audio software, Tracktion, then assemble everything back into a Sorenson 3 using QT Pro, a good investment for the $30.

Hey Rodney, just one more to go in the animation section! I think I'll be moving faster through the exercises now that this mid-term is behind me. :P

-Jim

final_door_is_stuck_sound.mov

• Admin

Jim!

Jim!!

JIM!!!

That was outstanding!

You had me going there... I really thought I knew what was coming next.

Boy was I wrong!

Love the lighting, environment... staging...

In short, you done good... really really good. :)

Rodney,

Thanks! My first idea was to have the door open at the end and poor Shaggy would still be holding the knob hanging there, but once the sleigh ride ended he had to be thrown forward a bit -- I couldn't see how he could still be hanging on to the knob at that point. :P

I ended up with I think 6 or 7 Choreography Actions for Shaggy, I started a new one anytime I felt he was doing something different. The problem, which I still have to solve, is how to make Shaggy's last position in a Chor action exactly match his position in the first frame of the next one, because otherwise he twitches into the new one. :blink: I might ask about this in the main forum since any advice would be great. I tried the Blend into Next Action setting but that kind of makes him float into position, like he's in a trance!

-Jim

Very nice short!. I like the staging and lighting. The animation is good too, maybe it needs a couple holds

when he is putting himself into position. You should show your clip in the Showcase forum. For the positioning, maybe you can put all your consecutive actions on one path to keep position(holding the position

with the "ease"), and use your camera changes to change paths if you have to.

Michel

Name: Al Dinelt

Exercise Completed: Exercise 6: The Door's Stuck

Date Completed: September 1, 2006

Here is my attempt at Exercise 6. I have learned that I have a whole lot of learning to do. That and Practice, Practice and more Practice!! Music came from an Acid library, sound effects from Sony and everything put together in Vegas.

A:M Exercise 6 : The Doors Stuck (.mov)

A:M Exercise 6 : The Doors Stuck (.wmv)

You know... this is a whole lot of fun!

C&C always welcome.

Thanks...

Al

• Admin

Ha ha ha ha ha ha....

That was good!

I was hooked into thinking he was going to smash the door apart from the beginning.

Glad to see you went more classical Exercise 6. It really paid off in the end.

You know... this is a whole lot of fun!

You said it! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed your sequence Al!

Exercise 6: The Stuck Door

Name: Lori Hiatt

Date of Completion: September 23

Mine is too long I know-7seconds. I had trouble with the hands slipping. I keyed everthing at increments of five and then was trying to adjust them for more length in the graph area but got undesirable effects at the beginning so I am calling it done. I liked the ending.

Lori

The_Door__s_Stuck.mov

Exercise 6: The Stuck Door

Name: Lori Hiatt

Date of Completion: September 23

Mine is too long I know-7seconds. I had trouble with the hands slipping. I keyed everthing at increments of five and then was trying to adjust them for more length in the graph area but got undesirable effects at the beginning so I am calling it done. I liked the ending.

Lori, very well done, especially for a first effort. Hash has never done a tutorial video of "The Stuck Door," but we always intended to. I'll tell you what, if you want a free "Animation:Master 2006" jacket, do a Camtasia of yourself doing "The Stuck Door" for other New Users to watch.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?act=A...st&id=20515

Mine is too long I know-7seconds.
On the contrary, I think you could have slowed it down somewhat. As the animator you know what's going on, so it seems a tad too slow; but as the viewer I need it spelling out to me, so it seems a tad too fast. But that's just me picking straws... everything else is in place - and I think Shaggy's sideways looks are a nice touch. Nice work.

I agree Roger!

I was trying to slow it down and emphasize the heavy pulling in the timeline and then pause the fists on his hips but I was getting undesirable effects at the beginning. (Model was in neutral but backwards at 0)so I said whoa and stopped. Was afraid I would loose what I had.

As I gain experience I will try to perfect this.

Sillly question. I don't know how to quote people when posting, so I just delete everything and go. Any help here?

Lori Hiatt

• 3 weeks later...

Caroline,

That was hysterical! I love how the lady-Shaggy doesn't even bother to use the doorknob and just taps the door open with her finger, which makes Shaggy look all the more pathetic. Very funny concept and a completely new take on this. :D

-Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Im having some major problems with #6 "The Door's Stuck" Not to sure where my problem lies. But i am losing my poses as i go. First it starts off hes trying to open the door, Next pose he gives it a yank. next pose he gives it another yank, but this one with all his might. next one is a yank with 1 foot on the door, next yank is with 2 feet on the door frame. So now when i run it back at 00 it start off with him on the door, an the 2 yank poses i gave it. but it wont go back to my first few frames i made.

Anyone have an idea whats goin on in the program? Is my time for each pose just to long for what the exercise is allowing. im doing 0 >5 > 10 > 15 an so on? im kinda frustrated nwo cause i put some time into the first few poses, an now its gone. :(

• Admin

Logrus,

Just a guess here but you are possibily working through the same Keyframing issue mentioned HERE.

In many cases its enough to provide keyframes on frame 0 or 1.

Investigate that link and let us know if that addresses the problem okay?

Rodney