Hash, Inc. Forums

"Rear Window" (is gestating)

robcat2075

Well Im having all sorts of troubles with the particle/sprite/hair system ..... seems a lot of it happened when I first tried baking ....so I went and set things back to where it was before and unbaked but now all things using hair system are odd ... colors off of just not working, for instance the flowers next to the buildings , use to render just fine now they wont, very frustrated ..... and running out of time ..... will be out of town next week (vacation with the wife and no puters allowed)

• Hash Fellow
Well Im having all sorts of troubles with the particle/sprite/hair system ..... seems a lot of it happened when I first tried baking ....so I went and set things back to where it was before and unbaked but now all things using hair system are odd ... colors off of just not working, for instance the flowers next to the buildings , use to render just fine now they wont, very frustrated ..... and running out of time ..... will be out of town next week (vacation with the wife and no puters allowed)

If you want to ZIP the whole thing up and I'll take a look at it.

Go back to the last unbaked version that seemed to be otherwise working right and ZIP that. The baking files could be many GB and I'd never be able to download it.

Robcat..thanks for the offer to take a look ...Ive experimented a bit more and found out that with multipass on the particle dont work as they should ..things look OK if I just set things to Final .......... will it be OK to do it with no multipass?

• Hash Fellow
Robcat..thanks for the offer to take a look ...Ive experimented a bit more and found out that with multipass on the particle dont work as they should ..things look OK if I just set things to Final .......... will it be OK to do it with no multipass?

Can you show us few sample frames with both methods?

• Hash Fellow

I'm not sure what I'm looking for in those two, are they different?

I doubt what Ive got would fit well with what others are doing ..so it won't be a great loss .......

The odd fits are the best ones.

Zip it all up and I'll take a look at it.

Oh Well, it started out fine on the 1st frame and the second frame went back to its old shenanigans ..

I doubt what Ive got would fit well with what others are doing ..so it won't be a great loss .......

The image with the flowers missing, was that rendered strait after the other one? and with the same render settings?

I fear this maybe is something peculiar to your project, I'v been using particles as well and not had any problems so far.

I'm sure if you can let Rob have a poke around in your project he will be able to help.

Thanks for the offers of help .... I kinda wanted to see if I could figure it out ....I think I have , when I shut down the particles to my C-130 aircraft(s) in the Chor. then the flowers render fine..... also think that is what is causing the long render times ..... I noticed the emitters were set WAY to high .... so I'll crank em down and see what happens ... worse come to worse ..Ill render with the sprites off on the aircraft .....

Off to bed now.....

Mike C

Well I checked again and even when I deleted the sprites sys from the C-130 model it still only renders the flowers on the very first frame ......this is so crazy I have to laugh....... unless it was a one time thing ....but Ill have to triple check .... when I turned the sprites to non active on the aircraft the flowers rendered correctly, but when I delete them its back to 1st frame OK, rest not OK.

Well I checked again and even when I deleted the sprites sys from the C-130 model it still only renders the flowers on the very first frame ......this is so crazy I have to laugh....... unless it was a one time thing ....but Ill have to triple check .... when I turned the sprites to non active on the aircraft the flowers rendered correctly, but when I delete them its back to 1st frame OK, rest not OK.

Just a thought here, and forgive me if this is obvious but I've been known to forget this step some times! But after making any changes to particle systems, like deleting the sprites from the plane, did you re-bake the project? If not then it will still use the bake information it used the last time an ignore the changes you made.

However I think you definitely have something strange going on as active particle systems shouldn't interfere with each other when rendering.

Again, if you can, let Rob take a look at it...

Thanks again for the advice.....one never knows what one my miss ...... But I am pretty sure Ive straightened it out this time ...I have 2 instances of my C 130 model in there so I made sure Both were not active at the same time , took some rearranging....(each C 130 has 4 separate emitters one for each eng.) ... and after several renders thru the night all rendered fine .... one more test before bed time and if it goes well I'll start the full render and let it go till I get back in a week from vacation......cross yer finger and toes!

Oh and I gave up on the baking....and made sure AFAIK that nothing was left behind after unbaking...

• Admin
Well back from vacation..I had my project rendering when away but power failure for 12 hrs due to storms...so Im back to rendering and Im at 35% averaging 5 to 12 min per frame .... I think I should have time to finish it up

Ouch. At least you got 35% out of the way. :)

This is the classic example of why we should always render to an image sequence like TGA first rather than MOV or AVI.

The rule: Render to image sequences first. Once satisfied with a rendering convert the image sequences to the desired format.

• 11 months later...