Hash, Inc. Forums

Ideas for the Next Community Project

robcat2075

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Another thing I notice with these Action Object Blinds is that they will be visible in director mode but if i go to skeletal mode (to see the control to raise or lower them) they are only visible in wireframe and not in shaded mode.

• Hash Fellow

This is odd. Here's a side by side with two windows looking at the same part of the building.

The one on the left is in Director mode and you can see the shade and blinds inserted in the windows.

The one on the right is in Skeletal mode and the shade and blinds are not visible from this side (looking through the glass) but are visible from the other side.

It must be something to do with that transparent glass.

dirVSskel.JPG

• Hash Fellow

I'm testing out camera angles...

the banding on smooth surfaces bothers me, I think it has something to do with "bias" on the z buffered lights but I haven't ascertained what light is doing this. I was sure it was main "sun" light but changing the bias on that had no effect. any ideas?

RearTest_050.jpg

• Hash Fellow

It seems to be related to the resolution of the z buffer map. Here's a test with a flat surface with an overhanging edge in the scene:

in the original scene the res is 4096x4086

RearTestC_050.jpg

If I reduce that to 512x512 the banding becomes more obvious...

RearTestB_050.jpg

If I go back to 4096x4096 and increase the width of the sun to 5000cm (it was zero originally) that seems to help a bit...

RearTestD_050.jpg

• Hash Fellow
I couldn't get rid of the banding. I had a reason for setting it to 0cm, I just can remember why.

If you can recall it, do let me know. So far, in my spot testing, making wider looks OK.

I am by no means experienced with video production. With that in mind ...

The video resolution for the project is currently set to 854x480 (FWVGA). Why this resolution? Is it the best one for something that will go to video eventually?

Is there any reason not to use HDTV 720p (1280x720) (or even 1080p at 1920x1080), other than perhaps longer render times and larger file sizes?

• Hash Fellow
I am by no means experienced with video production. With that in mind ...

The video resolution for the project is currently set to 854x480 (FWVGA). Why this resolution? Is it the best one for something that will go to video eventually?

Is there any reason not to use HDTV 720p (1280x720) (or even 1080p at 1920x1080), other than perhaps longer render times and larger file sizes?

My proposal is for two presets, 480p and 720p. 720p would be the encouraged one but people would have the option of 480p if they have limited computing resources. The 480p footage (if any) can be stretched in post and no one will be the wiser.

• Hash Fellow
Project is launched in new thread folks!

Put it in the main A:M forum, and put the zip directly in the post, not ftp. It's only 20MB, make it easy to find and easy to download.

And give it an obvious title like "2012 A:M Forum Collaboration Project"

Project is launched in new thread folks!

Put it in the main A:M forum, and put the zip directly in the post, not ftp. It's only 20MB, make it easy to find and easy to download.

And give it an obvious title like "2012 A:M Forum Collaboration Project"

It is here

• 4 weeks later...