Initial preparatory work has been made for a minor update to bring The Art of Animation:Master manual up to date.
A few goals:
- Newer artwork
- Update of obsolete data (references to accessing data on CD Rom etc.)
- Correction of typos (if any)
- Inclusion of links to current resources
A few exploratory ideas:
- Simplifying the collection of exercises in TaoA:M to focus more on basic introductory material. This in order to set the stage for a few other aspirations and to meet the needs of the A:M Community: i.e. Prepare the way for intermediate/expert/complex resources to be collected elsewhere (in new books, forum areas, hash ftp, etc. This might include dropping a few exercises and/or adding others but changes from current content would very likely be minor. As TaoA:M is the primary access point for new users of Animation:Master the focus of TaoA:M would narrow even more toward introducing users to the A:M experience and pointing the way toward additional resources
- Streamlining TaoA:M with the ultimate goal of producing an annual update to TaoA:M with the primary goal of spotlighting the Art of Animation:Master with the primary change in the manual being artwork. This would harken back to the days when artists and animators vied for placement on the CD Rom and A:M startup spash screen but with additional space available to showcase A:M Users creative work. The printed manual would likely not change out as quickly as the online version but would change when current stock of printed manuals was depleted. Alternatively, via print on demand the purchaser is able to choose which release of the manual they prefer and even print custom (annotated) manuals of their own.
- Continuing to provide TaoA:M in a variety of formats easily accessible by users.some which have been tested and directly encourage usage of A:M features in their implementation.
- A longer term goal (although not anticipated for 2016 release) would be to update TaoA:M with the goal that upon finishing the manual, a short film (calling card, demo reel) will have been produced. The challenge here would be to accomplish this without removing but rather enhancing the thought and theory behind the current TaoA:M.
- Providing a completely customized (local) TaoA:M (ala The Annotated Art of Animation:Master) where TaoA:M reflects the current personalized state of the art of Animation:Master for each individual user.
As all of this would be unoffiical to a great extent a two tiered approach would go into effect:
1. Creation and maintenance of an annotated/ever changing TaoA:M (unofficial but readily accessed and used)
2. Hash Inc official endorsement of a volume as the current TaoA:M. (signaled by which manual is reproduced and distributed)