Hash, Inc. Forums

Character Designs:Tar of Zandoria

zandoriastudios

http://zandoria.wordpress.com/2010/01/10/chicks/

I decided that I need to be a little more active online, so here are some sketches of some of the "chicks" in the latest incarnation of Tar of Zandoria. If you want to subscribe to the blog, I am going to be posting sketches, designs, and work-in-progress there. Feel free to comment!

chicks.jpg

chicks02.jpg

chicks03.jpg

It's hard to believe that I've been off of the grid so long! The "lost worlds" thread had some neat stuff in it--not lost, but I definately am leaning in a more cartoony direction now...

I still have more sketches to develop the look, then I will start modeling (and re-modeling...) the things that I need for the story. no need for a special forum...I am going to blog my work-in-progress.

I took some time off as well! I love your new blog, and I sign up on your twitter! I spent about 2 week re-learning how to rig, funny how much I have forgotten. Plus new plug-ins sort of revamp my process. I think Hash AM is still kicking and still going strong.

Have you been thru the face rigging and the setup the community are using? I was thinking of going to toon, but CPU these days are stronger, and I actually push for more realism, and heavier mesh.

When I have something I'll show you what I have been doing.

BTW I been out of it for so long, is showing realistic naked female animation allowed in here? or is it frown upon? Do we have an adult only forum?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Storyboards, Scene 1

http://wp.me/pjM7W-4j

If anyone wants to leave feedback on these opening scene storyboards, that would be cool and helpful (where the drawings are crude, keep in mind that it only has to serve as a visual note for me, since I am doing it all)....

• Hash Fellow

That's a great opening scene!

-Tar's shield is awfully small for such a large body. Maybe the shield could have some spring loaded extensions that pop out to make it bigger?

-I don't think the ninja leader needs to say "Kill him!", that intention will be obvious in the action. If he does need to give a command, how about doing it in some language that is not english?

Nice intro. Maybe instead of "Kill him" he could be more descriptive such as "Get me his head on a stick". A bit of a mouthful though. Or they could just do a war sound.

That sequence alone should keep you busy for another year. ;)

Yeah--the shield is really like a little buckler. And I think the language for this might just be "RAARRRRGH!!!" (kindof translates as "get him!").

The subtle thing [that I don't know if it will come across] in the boards, but maybe it will in the film: To the viewer, and the bandits, the vultures are symbols of Death (for Tar)--but when the fight is over and the vultures descend on the bandits, it is a little twist of fate: The vultures maybe just follow Tar because he is their meal ticket! ....Death follows him.

• Hash Fellow
Yeah--the shield is really like a little buckler. And I think the language for this might just be "RAARRRRGH!!!" (kindof translates as "get him!").

The subtle thing [that I don't know if it will come across] in the boards, but maybe it will in the film: To the viewer, and the bandits, the vultures are symbols of Death (for Tar)--but when the fight is over and the vultures descend on the bandits, it is a little twist of fate: The vultures maybe just follow Tar because he is their meal ticket! ....Death follows him.

I got that by the end of the sequence. I like the way that seemingly cliche detail at the beginning turns out to be something else by the end.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice model! I'll be interested to see how he moves in a fight having such stumpy legs. Could be challenging. And are his arms a little lower than his shoulders? I think you should rig him before texturing.

Nice model! I'll be interested to see how he fights....with such stumpy legs. Could be challenging. And are his arms a little lower than his shoulders? I think you should rig him before texturing.

yep, maybe a little too low...good call. Hard to get the t-pose right, since that isn't how I draw him...

Don't raise the arms up too much. Just raise them to the point where you want the shoulder to be when the arms are down at the sides. This way you won't need to adjust the shoulder as much when you are animating, only when the arms go above his head.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Gorgeous. With a big bat like that, I'm glad you didn't do a silhouetted side profile. :D

Why has he got a different "bracelet" on each wrist?

Edit: Oh and some whiskers might finish him off.