Photo

YouTube embedding? (SOLVED-ish)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23523 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows
  • Programmer:NO

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:13 AM

Is it no longer possible to make a YouTube window play within the forum?

(See third post, below, for solution)

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CST

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#2 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6684 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:32 AM

There was apparently a change in ip board software that broke the functionality but according to their site:

Yes, 4.0 addresses this completely by redesigning how this sort of thing works.

The forum isn't using IPB 4.0.  Hopefully it's a free upgrade.

The workaround appears to be to ensure the html option is selected prior to submitting your post.
Thats a real pain because that means every forum user has to be educated about the workaround.
...and... I'm not even sure the workaround works yet so I'll investigate. the workaround doesn't work around the problem anyway.

Ignore the links below as I'll be using them for a test:

https://youtu.be/TBnSpBZwmHA

My suspicion is that there is custom code on the server that parses posts to convert links and that custom code has something wrong with it.

Here's the link if Jason wants to investigate:

http://community.inv...tube-embedding/

A good idea is a seed, not a solution
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#3 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23523 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

I have discovered how to make video embedding work.

First, compose your post in the usual WYSIWYG manner, minus the video you want to include.

Second, insert an easy-to-find bit of text where you want the video to appear, like...

QQQQQQQQQ

Third, check the "Enable HTML?" box at the right of the forum window. If you are replying to an existing topic you will need to click "More reply options" to get that choice to show.

Your post will be converted into marked-up text like this...

<p>I have discovered how to make video embedding work.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>First, compose your post in the usual WYSIWYG manner, minus the video you want to include.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Second, insert an easy-to-find bit of text where you want the video to appear, like...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>QQQQQQQQQ</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Third, check the "Enable HTML?" box at the right of the forum window. If you are replying to an existing topic you will need to click "More reply options" to get that choice to show.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Your post will be converted into marked-up text like this...</p>

Fourth, locate and replace your easy-to-find bit of text with this code...

<iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xxxxxxxxxxx" width="640"></iframe>

Replace the xxxxxxxxxxx with the 11-character identifier in the URL of your YouTube video.

Fifth, the "height" and "width" parameters can be altered to fit your video.

Width 640, height 480  would fit a 4:3 video

800 and 450 would fit a 16:9 video.

If you have an HD video I recommend putting it in a smaller-than-HD box like 800 x 450 and leaving the option of full-screening it to the viewer.

Sixth, you can "preview" your post but you may need to re-check "Enable HTML" before you post it. Checking it on and off may cause you to lose bits of code and garble everything.

If all goes well, your video should appear in your post like this...

• zandoriastudios likes this

Robert Holmén
------

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#4 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6684 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:27 AM

I'm not sure I'd call that 'solved' but it's a good workaround.  :)

The forum *should* automatically take the link and display the video.

A good idea is a seed, not a solution
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#5 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23523 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

It does also work for Vimeo.

Click on the paper airplane "Share" button on a Vimeo video and copy the code that is in the "Embed" box and paste it in your A:M forum window after you have checked "Enable HTML"

CASSINI MISSION from Chris Abbas on Vimeo.

Robert Holmén
------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users