Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

The Wobbling Dead

largento

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Tony!

One of the challenges I'm facing with this production is creating a lot of real world things that I don't see as being in my wheelhouse. This is pushing me to get over that.

A big one of these is automobiles. I wasn't one of those guys who drew pictures of cars. I had some struggle with this.

It's still got a few little details left to add, but overall it's satisfying enough.

Puppet on patrol!

sqdcar0.jpg

Not gonna' lie. Doing backgrounds terrifies me. I'm just not good at even thinking in those sorts of terms. After much struggling, I've come up with most of the first set and started feeling okay about it.

I'm using very simple shapes and trying to get some value out of it, but not make it so time consuming that it will be impossible to do what I need to get done by October.

Comp_1__0.00.12.03_.jpg

The results are pretty good. Obviously I'm using the same pine tree over and over again, but the texturing gives it some character in the background.

I'm building the set with the idea that I can use it for different scenes requiring roadways.

The center is an intersection with the four roads curving away, so that you can't see very far down them and then they join up with a circular road that goes around the entire set. So, the set kind of looks like a pinwheel. My thinking is that I can use that circular road to do driving scenes of any length. I'm adding the pine trees in the cho, so that I only need to add as many as I need to fill out the frame of a shot.

I'm also playing with trying to get the desaturated look of the show. Red Giant has a nifty plugin with all sorts of different preset color grades, but it's $399 which is just too much for me to consider. There's a free option that has ten which I checked into and it's interesting, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Right now I'm just pulling down the saturation, upping the warm colors in the medium colors and upping the cool colors in the highlights. Then adding a warm photo filter and film grain. It's promising. Especially when you compare it to the original:

outdoors0.png

Thanks, Rodney. Every new project seems to involve me having to stretch more and more. At some point, I might even get good at something. :-)

Making the set multi-purpose is something I started thinking about when I was working on the sets for Stalled Trek. I was so impressed by how the sets were designed to work within the confines of the studio that they had. Obviously, they couldn't have miles of hallways, but they could construct them between sets to allow them to be redressed and stand-in for various decks. It just seemed like a really smart idea to me, so I've been trying to think that way with these new sets. The hospital set was designed to follow through all the shots I needed to to get to the gags and had very little in the way of wasteful stuff.

In this case, lack of space isn't an issue, but rendertimes are and you don't want to have to take a hit on time for elements that won't even be seen in the final picture.

It wasn't until my wife bought and watched the first 2 series (we had to buy the DVD's - thats all thats available in Oz at present) that I get this thread. Theres just so much wrong with the real 'walking dead' that you can have a field day with parody (an I now get some of the jokes in 'Big Bang') :lol:

Thanks, guys. One of the plusses of that desaturated, shallow depth of field look is that it hides a myriad of sins. :-) But it also gives it a miniature look, which works well for a puppet show.

I was guessing at the scale on the semi, Jost. The majority of these vehicles are just going to be abandoned or flipped over and have no interaction with the puppets.

It may be a crazy idea, but I think I'm going to try to make a 3D model of the old RKO/Desilu backlot (40 acres.)

My thinking is that since it was designed as a set that can be used multiple ways, I could use it multiple ways. Not only for The Wobbling Dead, but for future projects. It also would have the fun factor of being vaguely recognizable to people who are aware of it.

40 Acres goes all the way back to Gone With the Wind and was used in tons of movies and TV shows, most recognizably in The Andy Griffith Show. It was also used extensively in Star Trek and there's that fun scene where Kirk and Edith Keeler walk past Floyd the barber's shop:

floyds_barber_shop_trek.jpg

Which would mean I could parody City on the Edge of Forever in the future if I wanted to.

I found some 3D models done in Sketchup that I'm going to try to use to model new ones. I downloaded Collada versions and exported them out of Meshlab into OBJ, but even as props, they look pretty sketchy. Still, the buildings are mostly just facades, so there's not as much work in rebuilding them as you'd think.

So, first building for my Forty Acres backlot:

This was officially known as Residential House #4, but more famously, it was used as the exterior for Andy Taylor's house in The Andy Griffith Show.

house0.png

[EDIT]

Myron asked to see a wireframe on Facebook, so since I made one, I thought I'd include it here, too:

wirehouse0.png

Thanks, Rodney!

Just for fun, here's the house with some color and texture ...and made black and white, since that's the way most folks saw it.

greenhouse0.jpg

Had to help a guy move a piano today and lost most of the day, but going to see if I can knock out another building tonight.

Continuing with my virtual backlot, recreating buildings from Forty Acres.

Still some detailing to do, but here's the ol' Mayberry courthouse and market.

courthouse0.png

Love how set designers thought. The courthouse could just as easily be a bank or post office or a law office. And of course, all the storefronts in the market, can be whatever store you need.

Thanks, Robert! It's all in A:M. I found some models built in Sketchup that I've used to create the rotoscopes, but all the modeling is in A:M.

I started out really intimidated by the thought of modeling buildings, but I think I'm over that fear now.

Thanks, Nancy!

Robert, to better explain, here's the rotoscope I've set up for the next one I'm doing.

Taking screenshots of the various views, I construct a rotoscope like this (although mine is much, much larger.)

center_building.jpg

This is a really great example of what a backlot building can be. This a center building that most of the other buildings in the Midtown section sit around. You can see that it has tons of possibilities for what kind of building it could be based on where you train your camera or what sort of set decorating you use.

• 3 weeks later...

Good grief! I've finally finished this building. Don't know why, but I really struggled with this one. But it's done!

This one is really useful since it's not only a center building that the streets and other buildings go around, but it has a bunch of cool faces that could be used for any number of other buildings.

a_centerbuilding0.jpg

• Admin

Very nice Mark. The time spent on this should pay off well for you.

I'm taking notes because Lloyd is going to be needing a similar approach for 'Woke Up Dead'.

The task there is going to be made a bit more difficult because the structures will need to have more of a 'cobbled together' feel to them.

The jury is still out on what approaches will work best but modular structures such as you've got here are definitely the way to go for the 'hero' buildings.

Thanks, Rodney. These guys knew what they were doing! The buildings were designed by people who were well-versed in set design. There is much all of us could learn from them.

• Admin
These guys knew what they were doing! The buildings were designed by people who were well-versed in set design. There is much all of us could learn from them.

After reading that you were studying the 40 Acres sets I googled that and spend some time wondering around the various resources (mostly on the early 40 Acres that no longer exists). I particularly like the site I went to that had markers for where various movies were shot. There is gold in that arena.

Thanks guys!

Sadly, nothing exists of the old 40 Acres lot, Rodney. It was torn down in the mid-1970s.

Here's the next building: This one just known as the 4-Story Building.

4story_1.jpg

Thanks, Sebastian!

My thinking with doing this much work creating my own digital backlot is that it'll open up the door for other projects. After The Wobbling Dead, I'm definitely going back and doing a parody of the Star Trek episode "City on the Edge of Forever."

@Douglas—Remind me again about it next year when/if I do it and I'll see what there is.

@Rich—Thanks! Still don't feel comfortable working on them, but I'm really happy with the results. We'll see how this next one goes.

The next building is the Grand Theatre. The models I'm using to create my rotoscopes were built to show the buildings as they were dressed for The Andy Griffith Show. I want to be able to have these sets work for Stalled Trek, as well, so I'm looking at having to do some freestyle modeling here on this one.

grand_mission.jpg

In the photos:

1) The Grand Theatre as it looked on Andy Griffith (next to the 4-story building I just finished.)

2) The same building in the Trek episode "Return of the Archons" with the marquee removed and the front changed to look like a storefront.

3) The same building dressed as the 21st Street Mission in "City on the Edge of Forever."

4) As it looked in the climactic scene of CotEoF as the location where Edith Keeler dies.

You can see, too from those later views, that there is a shop front on the back side of the building (that's not part of the Mayberry models I'm using to make rotos.)

I'm just going to have to wing it and do something that approximates them.

A tutorial please...maybe a chance to finance/make money on the project?

For me, AM is so intuitive except when it comes to modeling. Box modeling or Subdivision modeling just seems quicker and easier to me.

You seem to have it down along with Agep and a few others. Just wish I had your skills. Great work.

Thanks!

I think I've already pushed my luck with asking folks for money for this project. :-)

The models themselves are really simple, just with a LOT of parts.

Here's a wire view:

4story_wires_1.jpg

There are really only two things going on here. Walls that are basically just patches with window & door holes modeled into them and boxes that are shaped into various parts like window sills and ladders.

I'm the exact opposite when it comes to modeling. The normal polygon-style modeling is like sculpture to me, which I don't get very well. Modeling in A:M seems more like drawing in 3D.

I think I would have been terrified of a model like this just a few months ago. I know now that was just me looking at it as a whole rather than just a bunch of simple parts.

All that said, I can't wait to get back to making puppets. :-)

I decided to hold off on the Grand Theatre/Mission Building. Don't think I'll need it for this movie. If I do a "City on the Edge of Forever" parody, I'll make it then. :-)

So, I moved onto this block of buildings that I can use for across the street stuff and various filler.

sidebuildings0.png

It's time to jump back into thick of it again and do the first sequence (the part before the hospital sequence.)

Looking forward to playing with all these toys I've made for myself. :-)

Rendered out the opening shot last night!

Decided to go with 2D tree photo instead of models. I think they actually start to look like the miniature trees you see on elaborate model trainsets. I also abandoned using hair for the grass. Too much render time for too little effect. I might use it in some closer shots if needed, but I'm satisfied with this.

01_opening.jpg

hmm... i liked this scene with the modeled trees better somehow to be honest.

i think it´s because those image don´t cast any significant shadows (the car doesn´t seem to be either), and they are not 100% clean cut out, maybe it helps if you could get rid of the bright edges. i also would increase the contrast on those trees to get them closer to a model train miniature look.

I went back and forth, but prefer the 2D trees.

I'm not sure what's happening with the shadows, which clearly aren't there. I checked all of the settings and am baffled about that. I've been having shadow problems ever since the default choreography was changed. The 2D trees are set to cast shadows, too, but aren't. I've tried removing all of the default lights and putting in new lights, but the render then comes out really dark (progressively darker as each pass of the multi-pass is rendered.)

I ended up having to go back to v16 to do these renders, because v17 doesn't seem to be able to handle large memory setups anymore. I can't even preview the Sea Anemone (Flemm's ship) in v17 without A:M immediately crashing.

yeah, i haven´t used v17 either because it´s really unstable... seems to be just the mac version, otherwise more people would complain about it ;) let´s hope v18 will be better optimized for mac. but i´ve also had issues of shadows not showing up lately, it was really weird... can´t remember exactly what i did to fix it... it had something to do with the combination of lights in the scene... i think i had just one sunlight and one klieg in the scene, and shadows didn´t render... then i dropped an additional sunlight into the scene, turned it off, and then it rendered correctly. something like that.

It's frustrating, because the expectation is that you can delete everything from a choreography and not have any issues.

I finally went back to an old choreography file from before the change and set it up and made it my new default. I had to set up the whole shot again, but this time I just manually placed trees rather than messing with flocking.

I get the shadows and the lights seem to work like expected.

Comp_1_1_00000.jpg

This is out of v17, too. It's strangeness.

I think the slight tinge of halo around the trees comes from the depth of field. There aren't visible white pixels around the clipped art. It doesn't bother me, though. This is all of a seven second shot and more times than not, the background isn't going to be in sharp focus.

Thanks, Sebastian!

I'm guessing there must be something new with the setting for the lights that the new choreography places, but I can't find anything in the settings that tells me what it is.

Now I get to go render the whole shot *again*. :-)

Having a little fun with post production.

Added a lense flare to draw the eye to the approaching car. Did this in Photoshop.

os_shot_001a.mov

Not going to turn into JJ and start adding them to every shot, but it not only works to draw attention to the car, but it keeps the car alive while it's behind the tree.

This shot cuts to a close-up of the side of the car making a rolling stop (revealing the "SHER'FF" gag) and serving as a cover for the character getting out of the car. A sound effect tand then pan up to him already out of the car and walking forward.

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd update a little. Have finally started to make real progress in animating this. "Real" jobs really get in the way of doing what you want to do. :-)

I've been doing a lot in the Windows version now since the Mac version seems to choke whenever hair is involved. It's working amazingly well for being virtualized. I'm using the 64 bit version and I've set it so that it can use 4 GB of RAM.

The render times are better on the Windows version, too.

There is just so much more to this in every way when compared to Stalled Trek. Stalled Trek was more confined and it was story I knew backwards and forwards and had drawn as a comic book several times. There were some bits that required new staging and there were some shots that I had to restage for lack of ability to do the hard stuff, but for the most part, I already knew exactly what it looked like.

This one has a lot more challenges which require me to figure out how to do the shots and make them so that everything works.

There's still a little guy on my shoulder yelling "What have you got yourself into?!" ...but I'm starting to figure out how to tune him out. :-)

• 4 weeks later...