Hash, Inc. Forums

Railroad Car

Same model in both left and right images but better (IMO) textures, lighting and setting; ten years between renders. I'd be willing to bet there's nothing in the 2013 versions that couldn't have been done in 2003, it just took that long to motivate myself to sweat those details.

combo_car_compare.jpg

combo_car_cu.jpg

Stian asked,

How big is your project now? Do you have a scene where you have combined everything?

The closest I have to "everything" in one shot is the attached image. When I dropped my locomotive and tender onto the track, 17e crashed near the end of the render. Resource Monitor says that project consumes about 160 Mb.

city_street_test_b.jpg

• Hash Fellow
When I dropped my locomotive and tender onto the track, 17e crashed near the end of the render. Resource Monitor says that project consumes about 160 Mb.

What windows are you on and how much RAM do you have? We ought to be able to do better than 160 MB.

What windows are you on and how much RAM do you have?

Win7-64bit, 16Gb; when the render stopped, the Memory meter read just below 4Gb.

We ought to be able to do better than 160 MB

I submitted the consolidated/embedded project to A:M Reports at the beginning of the month. Hopefully Steffen will solve it.

The single frame render chugs along through passes 1 to 4 and then somewhere in pass 5 (percent complete has been at 100% for some time) the progress icon stops walking and the screen goes translucent white. A message appears saying "program has stopped responding". I had no other programs running at the time.

When I dropped my locomotive and tender onto the track, 17e crashed near the end of the render. Resource Monitor says that project consumes about 160 Mb.

Obvious question: Have you tried 17g? (don't know if that will make a difference). Perhaps there is a memory leak?

The single frame render chugs along through passes 1 to 4 and then somewhere in pass 5 (percent complete has been at 100% for some time) the progress icon stops walking and the screen goes translucent white. A message appears saying "program has stopped responding". I had no other programs running at the time.

What are ALL your render settings? (eg using ao? what % & what quality of AO, etc etc). Can you tell where in pass 5 (or is it really start of pass 6?) the render stops? (expand the steps). Do you have soften on? Can you get a complete render image with only 4 passes?