#1 eptigo

eptigo

Journeyman

• A:M User
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Windows

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

i want to change a persons voice from a guy to a girls, using adobe audition but i have no idea as how to do this can anyone give me some pointers, or point me towards a website that can help me? ill keep searching and trying
free your mind

#2 heyvern

heyvern

Native American Mennonite

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4840 posts
  • Vernon Zehr
  • Macintosh
  • Contests Won:*

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:29 AM

Well... I looked over the features and I don't see anything specific that addresses this task. I know there are specialty tools out there that do this. I bought one a while back... but it was not up to the task. The output was awful. Most likely there would be a plugin or add on for Audition to do this. I read about a company who had programming libraries that could be lisenced for use in other applications. But that was as far as I got. I would say don't get too excited about the idea of eliminating the need for voice talent... the results of these "tricks" aren't as great as you expect. ;) -vern

#3 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23988 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows
  • Programmer:NO

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:18 PM

I used to use that app... it used to be called "Cool edit". I don't know if the menus are the same anymore, but look for something called transform>Time/pitch>Stretch. then choose "pitch shift(Preserves tempo)" For a quick and dirty sex change, try changing the "Pitch" just a littel bit up or down. it's not great but with some voices it works well.

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CDT (1700 GMT)

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#4 Stuart Rogers

Stuart Rogers

[animation hamster]

• A:M User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1041 posts
  • Stuart Rogers
  • Exeter, Devon, England
  • Macintosh
  • Contests Won:**

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

i want to change a persons voice from a guy to a girls,

can anyone give me some pointers, or point me towards a website that can help me?

Female voices are typically up to half an octave higher pitched than male voices but there's a lot more involved. So, solving your problem depends on the source of your guy's voice - if you already have the guy's voice then pitch shifting is all you can do, really, but if you haven't recorded the guy's voice yet and have some control over how things are said, then there are things you can do. For example, female voices are generally a lot softer than male voices, sometimes a lot 'breathier' (think of Marilyn Monroe). Choice of words should be considered too, as well as inflexion. Females tend not to swear as readily as males. Google for such things as "difference male female voices" for more hints.

#5 heyvern

heyvern

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • 4840 posts
  • Vernon Zehr
  • Macintosh

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:40 PM

A very funny thing happened to me recently. I recorded my sister when she visited a few weeks ago. I needed dialogue for "Ethel the Magical Fairy" for my Happy bear short. Her 5 year old son just had to be involved and was caught on the recording. Later I used Audacity to change the pitch of her voice (sounds great! Free software! Woohoo). I noticed something odd when I was experimenting... if I changed the pitch of my nephew... lowered it... he sounded like an adult!!! It was creepy! It was like I went ahead in time and heard him speak when he was... 40 or something. Yes.. the pitch change only... works well only on some voice recordings. There are dedicated programs that can do a lot more... changing subtle frequencies and tempos to really create a new voice... I haven't found one that doesn't produce horrible "artifacts" in the sound file though. I had the same dream... use software and my own voice... well... eventually you realize... it is still your voice... just pitched higher or lower. ;) -vern

#6 rusty

rusty

3D Since 1992: 92-99 tS2; 99-00 Max; 00-01 XSI; 01-present Hash

• *A:M User*
  • 1816 posts
  • Rusty Williamson
  • San Diego, CA
  • Windows

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:10 PM

This is a tough one I've come up against. Recently I purchased a $100 utility called Voice Changer from http://www.audio4fun.com/ -- Diamond Edition. It works to a point and I have gotten 4 good female voices out of it (from my own). I have gotten many more different sounding male voices out of it (from my own). This is of course an attempt to avoid hiring voice actors. You might look at this. Use to be that they offered a free try out version but this version does not offer you many options and I could not really get any usable female voices out of it.

This subject was discussed in another thread a while back and one person claimed to get wonderful female voices from another product. This product was more money then I wanted to spend and also it was not a digital solution, that is to say, you needed hardware beyond a PC. You might search for this. As I recall I provided several settings I had used in 'Voice Changer' that had worked for me (Note: for 'my' voice).

Hope this helps,
Rusty
"There's always an answer."
"Buy real estate! Then buy more and more and more!"
--------------------
Rusty Williamson
Owner

Virtualmedia Studios
An R & D effort to promote reading.
www.virtualmediastudios.com

"The SPIRAL SLAYER" A Sci-fi Epic -- Work In Progress at Virtualmedia Studios

System Info:
(Primary Development Box/Slave 1) Alienware Aurora ALX / Intel Core i7 960 (3.2GHz, 8MB Cache)
9GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3 / Single ATI Radeon HD 5970, 2GB GDDR5
1.2TB RAID 0 (2x 640GB SATA-II, 7,200 RPM, 16MB Cache HDDs)
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit / Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
(Devl Sys 2/Render Slave 2) Alienware M14xR2 / Windows 8 (64bit) SP0
Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz /6 Gb RAM /NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Hitachi HTS727550A9E364 7200 RPM 465.8 GB / Sound Blaster Recon3Di
(Render Farm Slaves 3-8 -- XP Prof SP2) (Devl Sys 1/Render Slave 1) Boxx 3200, Athlon 64X2 4800+, 3GB DDR400, Win7 64bit;
Dell/Dim8200/P4 2.53GHz/1Gb; 2xDell/Dim2350/Celeron
2GHz/1Gb; Dell/Oplex/2xP3 866MHz/1Gb; HP P3 800MHz/512Mb; eMachine P3 800MHz/512Mb

#7 heyvern

heyvern

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • 4840 posts
  • Vernon Zehr
  • Macintosh

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

I beleive one of the game consoles had a voice changer "built in" for online gaming and chatting. This was a while ago, but I did check into this since it apparently was very good. The core code used was licensed from another company. At the time there were no standalone applications that incorporated that specific code or whatevery they are, into it. It used a revolutionary new concept for changing the voice. It was very high quality and could really do a good job... so they said... there was no way to demo it since there were no "applications" at the time. I since lost interest in this idea. There are "hardware" devices that can change your voice... I suppose those would be used as the recording is made... or could be used to filter prerecorded sound... but you still lose a generation since it would be analogue to analogue. I think we have been spoiled by the science fiction of movies like "Scream" where you could change your voice into anyones voice with a little gizmo. -vern

#8 Fuchur

Fuchur

PatchWorker

• Hash Fellow
  • 5004 posts
  • Gerald Zum Gahr
  • Karlsruhe, Germany
  • current
  • Windows

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:35 PM

Samplitude(quite expensive), Soundforge(300 Dollar or something like that) or even Audacity (free) could help you there... All of the programms have many filters for frequencies, FFC, Pitch and much more... that can help you, if you know how you have to change a voice of a person. Take a look at it... Several Tips I know so far: - Use Pitch to make the voice "higher". - Use for example an FFC-Tool to lower the amplitude of the deeper frequencies You have to apply the filters by hand, but it should give you a more or less nice output if you give it a bit time. *Fuchur*
"I know, that I don't know."
See my projects, tutorials, reviews and join the German Animation:Master-Community at
www.PatchWork3d.de

Name: Gerald Zum Gahr, alias Fuchur
What stands "Fuchur" for?

Do want to see my favorite A:M-images?
Best of A:M collected by Gerald Zum Gahr

Searching for a *.X-Exporter(DirectX) or a *.dts-Exporter(Torque) for A:M?
Exporter Page

And how can I export to *.FBX-files or other 3d- / game-engines?
FBX-Pipeline to Unity3d / DirectX-Pipeline to Quest3d

Need more converters? *.obj OBJ), *.lwo , *.act or *.dxf ?
Arthur Walaseks' Exporters

Searching for great and free plugins?
www.sgross.com by Steffen Gross

You are searching for tutorials? More video- and text-tutorials can be found here:
Tutorial section of PW3d

You want to make your own video tutorial?
Recommended Tools and Step By Step Instructions

"R M B" stands for "Right Mouse Button"!

#9 John Bigboote

John Bigboote

that one guy

• Hash Fellow
  • 6375 posts
  • John Bigboote (aka Matt Campbell)
  • Detroit, MI USA
  • v18
  • Windows

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

Yes, this topic comes and goes. Rusty's got the right thing:
http://www.download3...nd-Edition.html

$100.oo

I've researced this a bit, but haven't bought yet. There are LOTS of them out there, but you have to be careful...most just change voice 'on the fly' for chatrooms, Internet Telephony, and such. What you want to be able to do is record thru the software to your HD and save 'takes' as wavs or mp3 files. As far as I know...this software does that. The 'freeware' trial version is a waste of time...highly crippled!

Sound Forge can only change pitch. That does not cut it. What you want to change is the 'timber' of your voice. I've heard 'Mac' guys say the proprietery ''I-something' software can do this easily, but when I press them for a demo nothing comes of it...may be something there tho if you know a Mac guy that can work his box. LOVE their ads!

FFC tool...what is that?

LEST WE FORGET... all recording will only be as good as your MICROPHONE. I've found the mic on my camcorder works best because it has a power supply (pre-amplification) You can spend $100+ on a great mic and still get tons of HISS...why? No pre-amplification!

BOTTOM LINE: Find a cool chick with a great voice who responds to direction and will say what you want how you want it...and when you do...get me her phone number.

#10 heyvern

heyvern

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • 4840 posts
  • Vernon Zehr
  • Macintosh

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:21 PM

Yes, this topic comes and goes. Rusty's got the right thing:
http://www.download3...nd-Edition.html

$100.oo

Hey! I bought this!
Mine is version 3... and it is pretty dog ugly to be honest. Maybe the newer version is better. I will have to see if I can get the upgrade.

The one I have could process and save external audio files. The trouble was the fact that the audio has to run through... what ever player you use... and the voice changer "intercepts it" and modifies it.

My computer is no speed demon... but it isn't a slouch either... but the process was impossible. The sound lag time was so bad... and the voice changer couldn't keep up. Plus the sound quality was absolute crapolla.

Your first impression is... "Hey! This might work!" But when you actually have good speakers or headphones with high quality expectations... the artifacts in the sound were a deal breaker.

Anyway... I am going to see if I can get the upgrade... maybe it has improved.

-vern

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users