Photo

Parallel Worlds: Elite Force

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hello! Being as though I've put Epic Gamin' on hiatus, not cancelled, it's just a copyright mine field that I don't have the time, money or inclination to wade through. I've decided to make a whole new topic for my shiny new project and when I say shiny and new I mean for you guys, for me this project has been on going since 1999. I won't bore you with the details (unless someone asks), but needless to say the plot and characters of the story I intend to tell have been around for a long time. I mentioned over on Dan's Epic Gamin' stuff that I'm moving into motion comics and as I've been flirting with the Anime art style for years I decided to go with that style for Parallel Worlds: Elite Force. Below is the first step toward making this new show a reality. Her name is Amy and while she may be cute...Well lets just say looks can be deceiving. Amy_head.png To make production quicker, the only parts of the comic that will be hand drawn are the eyes and mouth. Everything else will be modeled in 3D and posed in A:M, exported to Photoshop and finished off.

#2 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6687 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

You are off to a great start Dan. Post one is only minutes old... and you've already got a fan! :) Keep track of your processes... some anime fans are going to want to follow your lead. P.S. If that is particle hair... I am very impressed. If it's not, I'm just as happy. That's a very cool look either way.
A good idea is a seed, not a solution
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#3 Kamikaze

Kamikaze

Mike "Kamikaze" Cossey

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1886 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

I'll enjoy following along ... I like the idea of motion comics .......
"It'll Shine When It Shines"

#4 Fuchur

Fuchur

PatchWorker

• Hash Fellow
  • 4939 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Elite Force is a Star Trek-game, right? Does it have something to do with that? See you *Fuchur*
"I know, that I don't know."
See my projects, tutorials, reviews and join the German Animation:Master-Community at
www.PatchWork3d.de

Name: Gerald Zum Gahr, alias Fuchur
What stands "Fuchur" for?

Do want to see my favorite A:M-images?
Best of A:M collected by Gerald Zum Gahr

Searching for a *.X-Exporter(DirectX) or a *.dts-Exporter(Torque) for A:M?
Exporter Page

And how can I export to *.FBX-files or other 3d- / game-engines?
FBX-Pipeline to Unity3d / DirectX-Pipeline to Quest3d

Need more converters? *.obj OBJ), *.lwo , *.act or *.dxf ?
Arthur Walaseks' Exporters

Searching for great and free plugins?
www.sgross.com by Steffen Gross

You are searching for tutorials? More video- and text-tutorials can be found here:
Tutorial section of PW3d

You want to make your own video tutorial?
Recommended Tools and Step By Step Instructions

"R M B" stands for "Right Mouse Button"!

#5 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

The Elite Force is a team assembled by the U.E.G (United Earth Government) to combat threats that would otherwise be outside of the scope of the U.E.D.F (United Earth Defense Forces) or to carry out clandestine missions that the U.E.G council want to keep quiet. Each team member was recruited due to them each possessing abilities beyond those of a normal human being. Be they of a natural origin or abilities that the individual has gained through some kind of physical augmentation. But no it`s got nothing to do with Star Trek, the 'Elite Force' sub title really came out of necessity. Parallel Worlds was the story`s original title but as the concept developed I realized that i had a lot of ideas that explored different themes and while they all took place within the same universe they couldn't all be one story. So I split them into different stories 'Elite Force', 'K-8' and 'M.I.A'.

#6 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Ladies and gents allow me to introduce. Base girl base.png A base around which female characters will be built. limbs and proportions can easily be shifted to create different looks but essentially they'll be built around this model. It's a heck of a lot faster than creating a whole new body for every character and once they have different hair, facial features, clothes and proportions you'll probably not be able to tell that they were created around the same model. I'll make a base guy next.

#7 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

And so having finished the base model I can adjust it to her body type and dress it and we have Amy with a body. Amy_Full_body3_copy.png Once she's rigged I can pose her any way I need.

#8 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23528 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hey, that looks excellent! (I don't understand the pants.)

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CST

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#9 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6687 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

(I don't understand the pants.)

It's a Japanese thing. (or at least mostly... it seems to be spreading)
It's like they wake up in the morning and pick up a random set of clothes and adapt things that otherwise wouldn't fit.
My oldest daughter can get away with it without looking too weird.

I think it's a way of ensuring that no one else will be wearing the exact same thing you are that day. ;)

Nicely done Dan! You are capturing that anime look perfectly with a trendy new element to it too! (I think that may be mostly the hair)
Now you've got me wondering once again how to incorporate zip-a-tone (stylistic dot pattern shading and texturing) effectively into motion comics.
The last image is a quickly created proof of concept in A:M.

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• stochastic.gif
  • Mezzochan.jpg
  • 9650.jpg
  • speedline000.png

#10 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

(I don't understand the pants.)

Neither does my wife, everytime she walks into my office she says "What's going on with her pants"

Nicely done Dan! You are capturing that anime look perfectly with a trendy new element to it too! (I think that may be mostly the hair)
Now you've got me wondering once again how to incorporate zip-a-tone (stylistic dot pattern shading and texturing) effectively into motion comics.

and now you've got me wondering the same thing. I've tried making half-tones in photoshop before with very mixed results. I hear there's a program called Manga studio that does tones really easily so I might look into that.

#11 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Amy_Full_body_peace3_copy.png Okay as far as I can tell Amy is ready to roll. Next up Tyler.

#12 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6687 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

Here's a (failed) proof of concept using hearts instead of dots. The heart images are applied to a clinder as Patch Images and then the Repeat settings are increased and decreased over time. Animated speed lines and the like would be pretty straightforward in A:M. Basic dot patterns are easy... just create a grid, grab an image and apply.

Attached Thumbnails

• heartthromb.jpg

Attached Files

#13 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6687 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

Here's an example of using Patch Images to composite images (using only a single heart image applied to a grid in this instance). I didn't work out any holding matte to keep the heart pattern from overprinting Amy but it should serve as a proof of concept. Compositing like this only takes a few seconds in A:M. The beauty of this being that animating of the various elements is also only a few keyframes away.

Attached Thumbnails

• dotpatterntest000.jpg

#14 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

As promised guys, here's the series' main protagonist, Tyler. Tyler.png Seeing this guy in 3D after only seeing him in my drawing books for so long is kind of a big deal for me. He was the first thing I tried to model in A:M way back in March 2007 (That was a disaster)

#15 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Concept drawing, took about 20 minutes to do. Posed the 3d models and then added battle damage. Amy_unconcious3.png

#16 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Introducing Card Mistress Teah. teah3_copy.png

#17 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6687 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Nice! I like where you are going with this. :)

#18 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

PW:EF continues to roll and it's time to introduce a new character. But before that a little history old_PW.jpg In the picture above of the main PW cast from way back in 2002, it's hard not to notice especially for those of you that have followed my stuff. That one of the characters bares more than a passing resemblance to another of my characters. atm1583.png This is because Tech started life as a life size stuffed toy replica of this character who's name is Shadow. 100_1643.JPG When it became time to make the puppet Tech for Epic Gamin' I didn't have the money to buy new materials to make him. So I sacrificed Shadows' body and used it's material to add a mouth flap and eye rig turning him into Tech. So the character needed re-imagining for the motion comic and after rummaging through my old sketch books I found a pencil drawing I'd done of the original Shadow covered in tribal markings and incorporated that into new Shadow's design. So without further ado. This is Tyler's guardian and most loyal friend Shadow. shadow.png

Attached Files

#19 tbenefi33

tbenefi33

Prolific

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

I like the anime work you doing can't wait to see more of it especially the motion comic part of it.

#20 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23528 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

"Shadow" looks all black except for the eyes, is that correct?

Robert Holmén
------

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#21 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

"Shadow" looks all black except for the eyes, is that correct?

He is mostly black, but his chest fur is dark red and his body is covered in dark grey tribal patterns.

#22 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

He is mostly black, but his chest fur is dark red and his body is covered in dark grey tribal patterns.

It looked all black to me as well, so I brought your png file into PS and adjusted the input levels, to where it more closely matched your description. The input levels were highly compressed. Was your image straight out of A:M? or did you process it further? I also added a white background so that I could see it better.

Love the look once it is corrected. Maybe your monitor isn't calibrated the same as ours?

Attached Thumbnails

• correctedlevels.jpg

#23 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23528 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Yes, there must be some monitor calibration issue going on. Nancy's version looks right here.

Robert Holmén
------

#24 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Probably a monitor calibration discrepancy. The monitor on my laptop died months ago following a tumble off a table and since then I've had it hooked up to a 29" LCD. He looks very dark grey on my screen with lighter grey patterns. i'll try tinkering with the monitor settings but if I remember I turned the brightness up on mine a while back to make it easier to see. <Edit> Just restored my graphics settings to default and it seems I did have my brightness set higher. I see Rob and nancy's point about how black shadow looks, I'll adjust him

#25 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6687 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Posted Image

Here's a closer view of Dan's image from his previous post.
The transparency gets converted to black in the creation of the thumbnail image.
I haven't changed anything... just linked to his original posted image.

#26 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Nearly finished working on Pleasant Dreams Cemetery for the opening scene of PW. Figured I'd post it in it's current none edited form. Pleasant_dreams_3_copy.png

#27 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6687 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

Nice render!

Figured I'd post it in it's current none edited form.

Does that mean you the next step is to go back in and finesse with Photoshop or something similar?

#28 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Does that mean you the next step is to go back in and finesse with Photoshop or something similar?

Spot on Rodney, Next job is to tart it up in photoshop. Add more definition to the lines in places, I think I'm gonna darken up the grey areas on the car.

#29 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:30 AM

I was thinking about PW:EF last night and realised that I'd totally forgotten to post this pic. pleasent_dreams_pan.png The urge to work on the models and make them suitable for full animation (They're currently very basic and get tidied up in Photoshop) is pacing around the back of my mind like a caged animal.

#30 fae_alba

fae_alba

Pappa Bear

• Papa Bear Studios
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

I'm digging the direction of motion comics (yeah I know I've been out of the loop for a while). When I was publishing my magazine (print) some 10+ years ago I started on the same sort of concept (Scottish storyline, drawn in anime style). Almost had a RPG video game deal out of it and a TV series through a producer in Canada. But alas, none of it came to be. Now, fast forward to 2013 and my soon to be high school graduate daughter is bugging me to help her do the same thing with her stories. I've been resisting, not really sure what the reception would be in the web-o-sphere, but with your approach, minimizing the effort like you are might make it a serviceable concept. Might need to buy another copy of A:M for Nicole (my daughter) and let her have at it!

Paul V Harris
visit my new blog!
http://wandererswood.com/

#31 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

I know exactly where you're coming from when you say reception of the web-o-sphere. I've yet to manage to understand what it is 'they' seem to want. I don't get how shows like Game Grumps, which when boiled down to its core is just 2 guys sat in front of a microphone swearing and talking over game footage. Usually about something totally unrelated to the game they're playing. Can get millions of viewers, but people who put in a ton of effort with animating, video editing, sound editing, effects etc get no where. I don't think a day goes by that I don't question whether it's worth doing what I do. As most of the time it feels like I'm the only one who gives a crap. I ask at the end of every video for people to leave comments, follow us on Facebook and Twitter etc and hardly anyone ever does. I've never once been contacted between episodes to be asked when the next one is coming out. If it weren't for the fact that quitting would also mean admitting that I failed at fulfilling the one dream I have left then I would probably quit.

#32 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23528 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

I've yet to manage to understand what it is 'they' seem to want.

Screenwriter William Goldman famously said "No one knows anything."

Robert Holmén
------

#33 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6687 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

An article recently posted by Mark Kennedy on his blog addresses this issue.
He writes it as, "Create the thing you want to exist in the world."

http://sevencamels.b...t-in-world.html

You can spend a lot of time trying to fulfill someone else's needs but that focus is generally misplaced.
As Robert said, "No one knows anything."
But even given this deficit YOU know what satisfies your need to be creative.
Your creativity should prove sufficient.

*I love the word 'prove' in the old world sense of the term. It means 'made reliable, trusted, tried and true, to fully test'.
It's mostly a matter of routine maintenance and that of daily testing and retesting.
When David went to face Goliath he set aside the King's armor because it hadn't yet been proven; that is to say it could not be trusted because it hadn't yet been tested.

Creativity is like this. Folks will always doubt your approach, ability and resolve and most of the feedback you'll get will suggest the endeavor is not worth the effort. What they fail to understand is that in the realm of creativity, you are the one who defines success.

#34 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

Much as it's all well and good to say that if I or any artist is happy with their work then to hell with what other people think. That simply doesn't apply to the real world and especially to the entertainment medium. Take for instance a network TV show, doesn't matter which. If it aired and hardly anyone watched it then it wouldn't be long before it was pulled. Because in the entertainment world your success is always defined by other people watching, listening or otherwise engaging with your product. So understanding what it is people want to watch will always take precedence over whether or not you as the artist is proud/happy/content with what you produce. The same can be said of internet media, the only difference is that the creators of a 'real' TV show will still get paid for what they made, whereas on the internet no views = No money regardless of how good you think your product is. The sad truth is that money makes the world go round. It's said money can't buy you happiness, well tell that to everyone who struggles to pay their bills every month. Tell them that their creativity should be sufficient to satisfy.

#35 fae_alba

fae_alba

Pappa Bear

• Papa Bear Studios
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Much as it's all well and good to say that if I or any artist is happy with their work then to hell with what other people think. That simply doesn't apply to the real world and especially to the entertainment medium.

Take for instance a network TV show, doesn't matter which. If it aired and hardly anyone watched it then it wouldn't be long before it was pulled. Because in the entertainment world your success is always defined by other people watching, listening or otherwise engaging with your product. So understanding what it is people want to watch will always take precedence over whether or not you as the artist is proud/happy/content with what you produce.

The same can be said of internet media, the only difference is that the creators of a 'real' TV show will still get paid for what they made, whereas on the internet no views = No money regardless of how good you think your product is.

The sad truth is that money makes the world go round. It's said money can't buy you happiness, well tell that to everyone who struggles to pay their bills every month. Tell them that their creativity should be sufficient to satisfy.

You are right, though admitting it is painful. To relate a story to you, when I was publishing my magazine I thought that if I just kept bulling through, printing issues, ignoring the fact that I was hemorrhaging cash. It took me literally going bankrupt to learn the most important lesson of business: Know When To Let It Go!

The nice thing about what you are doing, is that your real costs, other than the domain hosting, is your time (and as far as the IRS is concerned, is FREE). So you can afford to take a more artsy approach and not worry too much about making money. It takes time to build up a following on a web site, so put the web comic out there, promote it where you can, learn along the way and above all, enjoy the effort.

Paul V Harris
visit my new blog!
http://wandererswood.com/

#36 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23528 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Somewhere in all this is the issue of "gatekeepers", the entrenched media forces that decide if they want to put their weight behind you.

Robert Holmén
------

#37 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6687 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

Much as it's all well and good to say that if I or any artist is happy with their work then to hell with what other people think. That simply doesn't apply to the real world and especially to the entertainment medium.

Well, I'm not talking about being unrealistic.
Unrealistic is being an artist in the first place. ;)

There is a big difference between being artistic and being commercial.
The first will always tend toward exploitation by the second.
Why? Because money is involved in the equation and people will want the product without acceding the proper credit or compensation.

So what to do about it?
Be timely and be bold but be realistic in your expectations.
Expect to be exploited because you will be exploited if successful.

But again... and you aren't required to believe this... you define what success is.

#38 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

Wow it's been a long time since I posted anything PW related. Anyway because it's pretty much been put in the "Work on it if I ever get five minutes" Category, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in reading the book. I wrote quite a lot of PW as a Novel and as no one has really ever read it besides me I thought hmmmm maybe the hash guys would like to read it. If not I won't take offence.

#39 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6687 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

Sign me up Dan! :) (I didn't even know you had a book)

#40 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

Okay guys here's chapter or rather episode 1 of Parallel Worlds: Elite Force - EPISODE ONE - Pleasant Dreams It was quiet when Tyler reached Pleasant Dreams. The last of the cemetery's daily visitors had long since gone home, leaving behind their lingering memories and the ever-present feeling of loss. Willow trees lining the tarmac path swayed forlornely in the evening breeze and the setting winter sun cast long, dark shadows between them. Disturbing the last of the autumn leaves that lay strewn on the ground as he walked Tyler slowly picked his way through the headstones, the soil below his feet giving slightly with each step toward his destination. A chill wind swirled around his head and he couldn't be sure whether he was imagining the whispering voices in his ears or if they were the echoes of his conscience. 'You should have been there when she needed you', 'what kind of leader are you?' A familiar pain shot through Tyler's chest, a pain like a cold hand had just wrapped icy fingers around his heart. It was the same on that day two years before, the day he'd cradled her head on his lap and watched helplessly as her life had slipped away. After a moment or two the pain passed and Tyler continued on. Dressed in dark navy blue jeans, a white muscle top and a sleeveless, ankle length leather overcoat, Tyler's appearance betrayed his position as leader of the Neo England branch of the United Earth Defence Forces (U.E.D.F) Elite force. A team of highly gifted individuals whose job it was to combat the most dangerous of the world's criminals. Each member of this select few possessed abilities that transcended the limits of average human beings and it was his job to lead them, to keep them safe. An undertaking he was constantly reminded that he'd failed at. Stopping in front of one of the graves, he swept a few damp leaves from its top edge and then crouched in front of the pure white, marble headstone which read; In loving memory of Cpt. Teah Mcintosh Watch over us now From your home far away. Please guide us with eyes from afar. In our hearts and our minds Forever you'll stay. The heavens now have one more star. UE05 - UE28 A solitary tear trickled down his cheek and fell without a sound on the ground below. Tyler needn't have read the words in front of him. Not only had he written the poem, but the image appeared to be burned into the backs of his eye lids. "I'm sorry," He whispered, kissing the tips of his index and middle fingers and pressing them to her name. He then got to his feet. "There was nothing you could do." Tyler span, looking all around for the source of the voice, this time he was sure it wasn't his imagination. It took him a moment to realise it had come from his wrist watch communicator. "How did you know I was here?" Tyler asked brushing a stray strand of his long blonde hair out of his eyes. "Well the GPRS in your watch keeps track of you. But also it's December ninth, where else would you be?" Was he that obvious? Tyler wondered to himself. "I should have been there Lex, or got there sooner, or" his voice trailed off. "Or something...anything." "God damn it Ty!" Lex's voice snapped back. This caught Tyler off guard as his friend rarely lost his temper. "She knew the risks; you make it sound like she's the first person to ever die on a mission." "Just because she's not the first it doesn't make it hurt any less," He replied. There was a long pause before Lex continued in a softer tone that Tyler was more familiar with. "She wouldn't want you punishing yourself like this, you know that. You have to let it go." The small, tinny speaker in the communicator then began to wail and crackle violently. "What's goin on?" Tyler asked with a slight sense of urgency in his voice. Back at Elite force headquarters the operations room was lit up like a Christmas tree, hundreds of lights and computer read outs buzzed and flashed frenetically. Lexington Winterbury-Stanton rolled frantically on his chair from one monitor to another trying to determine the cause. "Lex?" Tyler's voice questioned from a wall speaker. Lex's eyes settled upon a flashing red dot on a 3D city map displayed on a nearby monitor. "Zoney's picking up some kind of huge energy disturbance in Sector G, probs just a glitch," Lex had only finished and installed Zone Tech, the Elite Force's new Artificial Intelligence two months before and in that time it had suffered more than a few bugs. But never one of this size. Lex continued in a slightly worried tone "But if these readings are right, then all hell just broke loose. I'll send a recon 'bot to be sure." Lex instinctively shoved himself backwards and spun in his chair to face a console behind him. His fingers glided across the keyboard and the message 'Reconbot Alpha16 deployed' flashed across the screen before him. Tyler took one last look at the gravestone at his feet and turned away from it, his coat billowing out behind him as he did. "Sector G's not far from here, I'll check it out," He said raising his communicator watch to his mouth again. "Rodger that, I'll have Marcus and Shadow come and back you up," "Thought you said it was just a glitch?" Tyler asked, a small smile flickering across his face. "Well which would you rather be? Backed up or dead?" Lex snapped back in the uncharacteristic tone he'd used earlier. Tyler paused at this. He looked down at the ornate sword hilt hanging loosely by a chain from his jeans. He touched it and for a split second felt a rush of power flood through his veins, a raw pulsing power, a power that made him feel invincible, like he could conquer any opponent or challenging situation. But then the familiar and debilitating sense of doubt swept over him. What use was this phenomenal power if he couldn't use it to protect the people he was responsible for? If he wasn't there for them when he was needed, was he really needed at all? The image of Teah's final moments played over once more in his mind. "I'm cool either way," he answered coldly. "Tyler out.” The watch bleeped indicating that Lex had closed the line. Tyler moved much more quickly through the gravestones on his return trip. As he passed beneath it he glanced up at the cast iron 'Pleasant Dreams' entry sign, stretching elaborately between the two large brick gate posts that flanked it. His eyes soon settled however upon his transportation. The sleek black motorcycle with red detailing leant menacingly on its kick stand against the cemetery fence. Lex had often described the leviathan machine as being 'all engine' which was a fair description. Compared to most bikes of its class the engine was predominantly huge. However the extra weight this caused served to keep the bike grounded against its raw unbridled fury. Tyler mounted and balanced the bike between his thighs. As his hands gripped the handlebars his left thumb came to rest upon a security reader which scanned a thin blue light across the thumbs surface. A few moments later a small mechanised voice piped up. "Security access approved, Tyler Proudheart identified, removing safety locks, Beast 3 systems online," With that the engine roared into life and the small hood console in front of him blinked on. A small compartment opened on the console and what looked like the frames of a pair of stylish sunglasses were elevated out of it. He put on the frames and tapped a button on the left arm. Tiny hologram generators engaged in the frames and a pair of almost completely transparent green lenses appeared in front of his eyes. He could see perfectly through them but it also made it so information could be relayed and displayed directly in his line of vision. The arms tapered into 2 small ear pieces that slotted comfortably into his ears and along with a high sensitivity microphone built into the frames enabled him to converse with other members of the team without having to talk into his com watch. Easing back the throttle Tyler was away. He weaved his way through the housing estates and small shopping complexes that made up the suburbs of sector D and headed for the large open expanses of highway that connected each sector. The speed limit on these stretches of road was drastically increased over those in the urban sectors due to various vehicle safety measures (many of which had been developed by Lex). This allowed Tyler to indulge his boyish desires of going extremely quickly to the fullest. So as the Bikes wheels crossed the threshold of the highway he piled on the revs, dropped quickly through the bikes' gears and felt the extra inertia pull wildly in the pit of his stomach as the bike hurtled forward. Tyler didn't believe in computer controlled safety measures and after much reluctance and more than a little complaining Lex had removed most of them. This made riding at highway speeds particularly dangerous for Tyler but he didn't care. For quite a while now the only time his mind felt clear was when he was astride his 1000cc steed. When he was weaving in and out of traffic it was like he entered a heightened state of awareness, like each of his senses sharpened and time slowed down. The only other times he felt this way were when he was on a mission or fighting for his life. He'd once tried to talk to Lex and the others about it, but they'd looked at him like he was going mad so since then he'd kept it to himself. A soft bleeping in his ear advised Tyler that someone was trying to contact him. He instinctively reached behind his right ear, tapped the answer button and with his eyes still glued to the asphalt in front of him he addressed the caller. "S'up?" "Ty it's me," Lex's voice echoed around his head. "How's she handling?" As the teams resident engineer, Lex took great pride in all the Elite Forces' vehicles, particularly the 'Beast' series. "There's some lag on the ignition reader," Tyler informed. "Really?" answered Lex, a sense of shock in his voice "Yeah and I think we need to tweak third more towards acceleration," "You do huh?" Tyler tried and failed to suppress the urge to laugh. He loved winding up Lex. He didn't have to wait long for the response he was expecting and mouthed the words to himself as they came into the earpiece. "Those gear ratios are configured perfectly to match your riding style. I've spent hours going over them. If it doesn't feel right then you're doing something wrong," Tyler could picture the stressed look on Lex's face. "Cool down bud I'm just yanking your chain. She's running fine," Tyler paused "Although the ignition reader really does have about a three second delay." Lex groaned down the microphone. "Alright fine, I'll take a look at it. Anyway, Marcus and Shadow are en route and the recon bot's on its way too. E.T.A erm...twelve minutes," Tyler smiled. "I'll be there in 10," "Tyler no! I've not finished testing that yet it's not safe!" Lex's warning fell upon deaf ears. Tyler had already flicked up a transparent safety cover below his left thumb and depressed the crimson button below it. "Boost System engaged. Beginning phase one," an automated voice informed a moment after he'd pressed it. There was a rapid 'fwooshing' sound as Nitrous oxide was released into the Beast 3's engine cylinders. The extra oxygen this made available to the engine gave a significant and instant increase in horsepower. As Tyler shifted his body weight to bob and weave through the traffic ahead, the engine roared its approval and the automated voice spoke again. "Phase two preparation initiated." Over Tyler's' shoulder two small hatches in the bikes rear quarter opened and with a soft whir a small engine was elevated telescopically from each. These began to whine as high-powered turbines inside them began to gather speed. "Phase two engaged" confirmed the automated voice as Lex's miniature Jet system propelled the bike onward. Tyler was now traveling at speeds in excess of two hundred MPH and it was taking a great deal of concentration to keep the beast under control. But a crazed voice inside him screamed for more, encouraging him to further push the envelope. He flicked a second safety switch from over its button and pressed it "Phase three engaged" came the response to his action. The bike plunged forward as fuel was ignited directly in the jets exhaust stream and the afterburner kicked in, hurling the bike forward like a two-wheeled rocket. Tyler had ceased to think, a stray thought could mean him piloting directly into the rear of another vehicle. He was now operating entirely on instinct. For a split second, he felt free. It took Lex's voice to drag him back from this delirium. "Um Ty' if you're not careful you're going to miss the Transit Gate," he informed. Tyler's senses snapped back into place just in time to process this information and slam on the anchors. There was an ear-splitting screech as the beasts' brake disks wrestled frantically with its wheels to slow them down. The bike returned to a steady seventy MPH as the seven-lane highway began to fork off in front of him, on the horizon large white archways rose elegantly into view. The centre of each Archway was illuminated by a pulsing rainbow coloured light; as vehicles approached them, they appeared to be breaking apart before disappearing completely. At the same time, vehicles going in the opposite direction were blinking into existence from seemingly nowhere. No matter how many times Lex had explained the whole gate transfer concept to Tyler; he'd never once been convinced that it could be healthy. "The Gate breaks down your molecular structure into electronic information, which can then be transmitted via satellite to any point on the transit grid. When you get to the other end, your digital information is converted back to solid matter. It's perfectly safe," He could hear Lex's attempts at reassuring him clearly in his mind. Illuminated Signs stating what lane to keep to in order to reach a particular gate flashed overhead. Three lanes over to his right he could see a sign reading 'Sector G'. He quickly checked over his shoulder and crossed the path of traffic in the Sector E and F lanes. The lanes to and from Sector G were totally deserted. As he came within a kilometer of the gate, the lanes split completely into seven off ramps and the safety features that Lex had insisted upon leaving on the bike took effect. It slowed to forty MPH and navigated itself to the exact centre of the lane. "I hate this part," Tyler grumbled to himself as the he approached the rainbow effervescence. Up close, he could see that all around the inner edge of the Archway were what looked like large cameras spewing forth streams of colour. The streams crossed over one another and pulsed between their respective colours. Inches in front of his face, he saw the front of the bike begin to dissolve into tiny particles and appear to vanish into the swirling spectrum. A split second later his body had entered the cloud as well and for a moment there was pain free blackness, an instant later a bright white flash re-introduced him to reality and he saw Sector G before him on the horizon. He glanced over his shoulder and saw the archway shrinking into the distance behind him. Back in control of the bike again, Tyler increased his speed. As the roads leading up to the sector were deserted, he had the entire thing to play with and no worries of a collision. His fun was short lived however as he came upon the off ramp leading into the main sector. Tyler took it and passed under a dilapidated sign which read 'SECTOR G' over which a large orange sticker with thick black letters reading 'DANGER OFF LIMITS. URBAN REDEVELOPMENT ZONE' had been stuck haphazardly. Sector G was the last of the old country areas remaining in Neo-England. Since the signing of U.T.O.P.I.A (the Unified Treaty of Political Integrity and Alliance) in the late 21st century, which committed the countries of the world to share resources and information in a bid to further and improve society and which eventually gave rise to the U.E.G (United Earth Government). The standard of living across the globe had gradually increased. A new calendar had been introduced to mark the advent of this new unity and the United Earth (UE) Century had begun. In the year UE08 England's capital city had been relocated to the centre of the country and a mass redevelopment had been put into place. New roads linked by the transit Gate system brought the country closer together and by UE9 each area of the country was delegated a sector I.D to be modernised and linked to the new capital. The country eventually lost its past dividing lines and became one large conglomerate. In UE22 it was decided by the U.E.G that the term 'country' gave off a level of individuality that did not befit a Unified Earth and after contention from the delegates of a few of the larger nations it was dropped in favour of the term 'City'. In the twenty one years since the redevelopment had begun Sector G had gone completely to ruin. By comparison to the other six sectors of the city it could only be described as a slum. Almost every building Tyler passed had at the very least part of it missing or damaged. Some appeared to still be standing against their better judgment and were merely waiting for a strong gust of wind to put them out of their misery. A faint smell of sewage lingered perpetually in the air. To the sectors inhabitants the so called redevelopment had been a long time coming. Early on the businesses in the area had relocated to the neighbouring sectors to take advantage of the more modern facilities and this had eventually led to the residents being shipped out to temporary housing in other sectors also. The area had subsequently been set upon by vandals and looters and had fallen into disrepair. When a group of them had been killed by collapsing masonry it had been quickly declared off limits. Sector G now played home to those that society had labelled 'The forgotten', mainly comprising of the few who refused, either out of sentimental attachment to the area or simple stubbornness to leave when the relocation program had been initiated. But their numbers were also swelled by runaways, those that had been missing for so long that people had stopped looking or those that still had people looking and just didn't want to be found. Tyler dismounted the Beast3, placing the visor back in the console and continued on foot. He'd barely walked ten feet before a B2 security drone came buzzing around a corner to his right. Almost Frisbee shaped and made up of two rotating disks, it hovered six feet above the ground. Between the two disks, spinning in the opposite direction was a glowing, yellow, eye like sensor. When it spotted Tyler the eye colour switched from yellow to red and stopped spinning, instead it tracked Tyler's progress up the street. "Halt citizen!" A grainy almost incomprehensible, synthetic voice bellowed from the drone. Its lower disk began to spin faster as it quickly hovered in Tyler's direction, stopping a few feet in front of him. "I don't have time for this," Tyler instructed, not stopping and side stepping the drone when he reached it. It hovered behind him apparently confused at the comment. Tyler heard the unmistakable hum of the drones' forward cannon arming. "This is your final warning citizen. Halt and submit to a DNA scan." Tyler sighed deeply and stopped. These out of date security drones were left over from the days before U.T.O.P.I.A, but the U.E.G insisted that so long as they were serviceable, it was a waste of resources to deploy modern equipment to an area of the city that was deserted and due for demolition. Tyler turned to face the B2 just in time to see it open fire toward him. He instinctively ducked left behind what remained of a destroyed section of wall. It shook against his back as the security drone continued to hammer it with weak plasma fire. Drawing twin pistols from concealed holsters behind his back Tyler prepared to make his move. He didn't have a lot of time, the wall wasn't going to withstand the barrage much longer and although it meant him filling out a damage report he didn't see any other option available than destroying the B2. He'd have to be quick, although they were old; the B2's had a reputation for being unerringly accurate. So taking a deep breath, he armed his pistols and rolled out sideways from behind the wall. In an eye blink, he'd rested on one knee, taken aim, and loosed off a shot of searing hot plasma from each barrel. His pistols were much more modern and well maintained than the B2's cannon and so when the rounds connected with a loud thud, they carved their way through the drones' inner workings and out the opposite side of its shell. As Tyler looked on, the B2 Stopped firing, its red eye span wildly around as it wobbled dangerously in the air before exploding with a lacklustre bang. "Ty be careful one of the B2's just went offline," Lex's uneasy voice advised over Tyler's comm' watch as he knelt down beside the smouldering remains of the drone and prodded a piece of it with his gun barrel. "Really?" he replied with only a hint of sarcasm. "How far away am I anyway?" Standing up Tyler continued down the street and around the corner that the B2 had appeared from. "You're heading in the right direction, another quarter of a mile and then hang a left. Just head toward the square" Tyler followed Lex's directions and broken road signs through the crumbling streets until he reached an abandoned town square, what once must have been a bustling shopping area for the locals now lay in ruin, a mere shadow of it former self. Tyler scouted around the area but could find nothing that looked particularly out of place. "Well might as well tell Marcus not to bother coming 'coz I don't see anything bud," he advised. "You sound disappoint..." Lex didn't have time to get the rest of his sentence out before Tyler cut him off. "Hold on a sec," Tyler's tone had switched to one much more serious than before. He'd just heard something move behind him. He quickly turned around but there was nothing but the empty square before him. He pondered that it might have been his imagination but quickly discarded this notion when he heard a clanging of a metal fire escape above him. His eyes darted upward but again he saw nothing. "I'm not alone here Bud." He quickly informed Lex. A branch of a fallen beech tree snapped behind him and to his right, pulling his attention that way. His hand dropped to his side and clasped the sword hilt that hung there. He felt his body once again pulse with raw energy as his finger flicked the wolfs head shaped release catch securing the chain that it swung from and held it out in front of him, he had to squeeze the sword grip tightly to prevent it shaking out of his hand as he did so. He concentrated and focused the energy into the sword hilt and watched as it began to spark, a split second later a blade of pure green energy erupted from the hand guard. It flickered for a moment and then became a tangible object. He once again felt his senses sharpen in unison. "Well the recon 'bot just arrived I should be getting a picture back in just a…JESUS TYl LOOK OUT!!" From the command room Lex could only watch helplessly as the camera picture flickered on and a long coated figure dropped passed its line of vision directly at Tyler. He heaved a sigh of relief as Tyler ducked and rolled at the last second, barely avoiding a huge broadsword shaped energy blade that created a small crater on the spot he'd been standing moments before. "Thanks bud," Tyler answered gratefully. Back to his feet he turned to face his aggressor who was also standing and doing the same. They glared at one and other, neither speaking nor moving a muscle, both had swords raised in a defensive stance. A look of shock flashed across Tyler's eyes, although much larger than his sword, his opponents blade appeared to be pulsing with the same green energy as his own. But that was impossible; his sword was supposed to be the only one of its kind in existence. The man standing opposite was dressed in similar attire to Tyler, with the exception that all his clothes were black and a mask covered his face. He seemed to take this moment's lapse of concentration as his opportunity to strike again. Tyler barely had time to parry the blow that followed, he successful ly countered the masked mans advances for a few moments, before conceding some ground and leaping backward to give himself room. "And you are?" Tyler asked regaining his composure and charging forward making deft movements with his blade in a bid to break through his opponents guard. The masked man barely flinched at Tyler's attacks, seemingly moving his sword to block him before he'd even made each move. He blocked five successive strikes before parrying the sixth with such force that it knocked Tyler off balance. There was nothing he could do to block the kick that sent him spiralling to the ground. A searing pain shot through Tyler's side, however he had no time to contemplate this before the masked man was jumping toward him again, his sword raised to make a fatal strike. Tyler raised his own sword milliseconds before his opponents connected and the two energy blades sparked off one another furiously. The masked man pressed his weight down against Tyler and positioned his face so close that he could feel his breath through the masks tight mesh. "It doesn't matter who I am," A sinister voice rumbled. "What matters is that I'm Stronger than you and I'm faster than you. In short I am better than you. Welcome to your death!" Tyler strained against the pressure being applied by the masked mans blade. The pain in his side was screaming unbearably and causing his vision to blur. Noises echoed around his skull and he swore that if he weren't wearing that mask he would be able to see his opponent laughing. Laughing at how weak and easily beaten he was. Tyler refused to accept this. He wasn't going to die at the hands of some masked freak. "Get out of my face," he muttered almost inaudibly. The ploy worked, the masked man leaned closer and asked. "I'm sorry what did you say?" the delighted sarcasm in his voice further angered Tyler. "I said, He replied with much more conviction "Get out of my FACE!" With that, he thrust his head upward and his forehead connected with a thud against the masked mans nose. He recoiled to his feet, clutching at his face, giving Tyler time to rally some momentum. Unfortunately, his side chose that moment to give an inopportune reminder that it hurt phenomenally. His energy spent Tyler winced in pain and flopped limply back to the ground. "You will regret that," The masked man glowered toward Tyler. He raised his sword for the deathblow and Tyler prepared to accept it. "Back off ugly!" A new voice growled from Tyler's immediate right. The Masked man barely had time to move his head and assess this new arrival, before he was knocked off his feet and pinned flat to the floor beneath the huge clawed paws of an enormous animal. Its sleek muscular body was of similar build to a member of the big cat family. However, its long snout, pointed ears and large bushy tail were definitely canine in nature. What set the creature apart from both sets of species, were the three huge spikes protruding from the back and sides of its head and the fact that other than the tip of its tail, chest, stomach and edges of the spikes, which were a deep red, it was covered from head to foot in dark purple fur. It snarled down at the masked man, baring its huge sharp teeth and fixing him with a glare from its shining yellow eyes which had little more than two black pin pricks for pupils. "Shadow," Tyler groaned. "Great timing bud." "I can't leave you alone for five minutes can I?" The creature known as Shadow quipped back. "Ah the guardian and such a weak example at that, my disappointment with you continues Tyler," the masked man commented nonchalantly. In a magnificent display of raw strength, he grabbed Shadow by his middle and hurled him directly into a lamp post some eight feet away. He impacted with a clang leaving an imprint of his body in the metal before slumping to the ground. Shadow got groggily back to his feet. Shook his head clear and then began to growl again toward the masked man, who was back on his own feet and advancing toward Tyler, sword raised. The murderous intent in his eyes was so apparent that it looked like he hadn't noticed the large concrete slab as it descended toward him. He spotted it a split second before it struck him and leapt backward to avoid it. It shattered as it hit the ground, covering him and the injured Tyler in dust and debris. The masked attacker looked frantically around for who had thrown the projectile. His eyes settled upon a large heavily built black man, bare-chested besides a pair of metal dog tags and wearing jungle design camouflage trousers, he was already effortlessly picking up the shell of a burned out 4x4 jeep and was preparing to hurl it in the masked mans' direction. With no strain at all the man let fly and the jeep flew towards its target. "You fools are like locusts!" the Masked men exclaimed, his voice filled with exasperation. The jeep reached the peak of its arc and as gravity took its toll, began to fall back to Earth. This time the masked man did not move to avoid it. He merely stood motionless tracking its decent with his eyes. Milliseconds before the jeep would have slammed into and crushed him, his huge energy broadsword flashed upward with remarkable speed and accuracy, splitting the vehicle in two and causing it to fall perfectly in half on either side of him with a loud bang. He turned and pointed at Tyler. "Another time Proudheart!" he shouted angrily. His body then became bathed in an eerie, blood red light which totally obscured his features. The Energy Broadsword flickered out of existence and the man vanished without a trace, a heart beat before Shadow pounced on the spot he had been standing. The guardian beast grunted disappointedly before turning and walking toward Tyler, who was now on his feet supported by the Black man. "Thanks Marcus," said Tyler leaning against his friend for support and clutching his side. "Who 'da hell was 'dat supposed to be?" Marcus asked, taking a look around the square as if making certain the masked man was truly gone. "I dunno," Cut in Shadow before Tyler could speak. "But whoever he is he doesn't seem to like Tyler." "Well no shit. You work 'dat out all by yourself," Marcus replied sarcastically "You alright man?" He asked Tyler who was still wincing and breathing laboriously. "I'm fine," Tyler lied. "You are not fine," Lex's distressed voice crackled across Tyler's comm watch. "According to your bio read out, that kick smashed 3 of your ribs. Marcus get him back here so I can look him over." A little while later, as Marcus loaded the Beast 3 into the back of his own Beast series vehicle, a large, customised, black Van with red detailing similar to the bike, Tyler sat slumped against the van side. Self doubt once again creeping into his mind.

#41 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6687 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Love the intrigue and action thus far. :) That surely would be easier to write than model and animate no? For what it's worth, while reading I was getting a pretty good picture of the environments in my mind. You must have done a really good job of describing them. The cemetery. The seven lane highway. Rubble filled street. You cued up some fleeting yet vivid imagery for those locations in my mind.

#42 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

Thanks Rodney glad you like it. Next to my family you're top of my list of Ace.Co supporters. Also just thinking that making the story into an audio book with background music, sound effects and still image illustrations would be a neat and fairly quick way of adding a new show to our offerings. Plus it would have the added benefit of being accessible to the visually impaired.....Hmmm Experimentation may be in order.

#43 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6687 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Also just thinking that making the story into an audio book with background music, sound effects and still image illustrations would be a neat and fairly quick way of adding a new show to our offerings.

This would make a nice bridge between the script and (eventual) animatics too should you desire to put the story into animation (or live action) production.
It'd also make for a good pitch to any supporters/producers.

Next to my family you're top of my list of Ace.Co supporters.

You make it easy to be a supporter. Fun characters, compelling narratives, optimistic approach, visible results, entertainment... heck, I hear some people pay for that kind of thing. I wish I was as fast a sketcher as I occasionally imagine myself to be because I'd love to break down words like yours (and others) into storyboards; especially those areas of the story that are the most vivid to me. All we are really talking about is placement of the shapes to better inform and refine the imagery at a later stage. When the visuals are that organized in words already, there is no reason why such an endeavor to rough out the imagery should need to take more than a day. The stylization and refinement of the details... that the task that expands t'ward infinity.

At any rate... your gaming background definitely shines through here, especially in the latter fight scene (and I'd say the highway scene as well). While reading, it feels (felt) like watching/interacting with virtual characters in a game.

I'm already looking foward to the next chapter! :)

#44 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

I hear some people pay for that kind of thing

You've hit on one of my internet pet peeves right there. When people outright hate on something (not criticise, criticism is an important part of growing as an artist) when they don't make anything similar or even anything at all. Plus the fact they seem to forget that the content is free. They're not paying anything to be entertained for sometimes up to an hour or more. If they don't like it fine don't watch it but don't insult the person who put hours of their free time into making a FREE product for you.

I wish I was as fast a sketcher as I occasionally imagine myself to be because I'd love to break down words like yours (and others) into storyboards; especially those areas of the story that are the most vivid to me. All we are really talking about is placement of the shapes to better inform and refine the imagery at a later stage. When the visuals are that organized in words already, there is no reason why such an endeavor to rough out the imagery should need to take more than a day. The stylization and refinement of the details... that the task that expands t'ward infinity.

My problem with sketching is that when I've roughed something out I automatically want to start refining it. It's almost like I'm offending myself by leaving something in such a rough state.

I'm already looking forward to the next chapter! :)

Speaking of which...

- EPISODE TWO -

The screams of the void

"Ty' if you don't want to be here all night for god sake lay still," Tyler stared up at the ceiling of the headquarters medical room, picking out shapes in his mind from the roof tiles. He'd been lying in as near to the same position as his body would allow for well over an hour. The drugs Lex had administered upon his arrival had sufficiently numbed the pain coming from his crumpled ribs, but as the solid grey medical table below him wasn't the comfiest spot in the world, he was starting to feel more than a little restless.
"What part of still do you find so hard to grasp Ty? The st or the ill? I have diagrams if you need them." Lex remarked crossly as Tyler wiggled his right arm a little so as not to lose feeling in it completely.
"Sorry bud, but lying motionless on a slab is not my idea of normal. In fact it's bordering on abnormal," he lamented back at him.
"Yeah? Well your ribs all but disintegrating after one kick to the side, isn't what I'd call normal either. But if you want a full set again then put a lid on it and lay still." The emphasis Lex put on those last two words indicated that he was not prepared to discuss the situation any further, prompting Tyler to concede the small argument to his friend and do his best to control the urge to move by once again directing his attention to the ceiling. He had suggested being put under general anaesthetic until the procedure was completed. However Lex had launched into a tirade of technical babble that Tyler hadn't understood, about the importance of him being awake throughout.
A thin red line tracked its way horizontally across Tyler's body, generated by a projector unit covered in thick wires protruding from a large hole in the ceiling. With each pass he felt a mild pain shoot up his side which he was confident would be excruciating were it not for his current drugged state. Lex walked backwards and forwards between a console at the foot of the bed and a larger console on the Left hand wall. Dressed in a pair of pinstripe black dress trousers, a maroon shirt and black tie, Lex's appearance was endlessly more professional than Tyler's.
Curled up, not moving, in the corner of the room lay Shadow. Since the fight against the masked man he'd not left Tyler's side and had looked increasingly worried for his welfare. Tyler had tried to tell him repeatedly that he was okay, but this had merely prompted Shadow to look away seemingly unable to meet his gaze.
The red medical laser blinked off for a moment and was replaced a second later with a similar yellow one. Zone Techs computerized voice announced.
"Bone regeneration thirty three percent complete," Lex let out an 'hmmm' sound, nodded and smiled as if satisfied with something and then returned to tapping keys on the console in front of him.
"Things should speed up now," He said. "You'll probably feel a little more discomfort though." The laser did indeed increase its speed; however the term 'a little more discomfort' was an understatement to say the least. Each pass of the yellow beam caused Tyler to wince in pain and his eyes watered until his body adjusted to it. Shadow looked up at Tyler for a moment from the corner, whimpered slightly and then turned his head away again.
"I told you I'll be fine bud, quit stressing," Tyler said trying his best to hide the pain in his voice. This clearly didn't have the desired comforting effect on Shadow, who let out another fretful whimper.
The medical beam was another of Lex's inventions. In fact when Tyler thought about it, a lot of the technology he took for granted was either invented or contributed to by Lex. This didn't surprise him though, after all Lex was a genius. He'd qualified for a degree in cybernetic engineering when Tyler was still learning how to ride a bike. Obviously an intelligence of this calibre hadn't gone unnoticed by the U.E.G and Lex had been inaugurated into the United Earth Science Academy shortly after.
"Bone regeneration sixty six percent," Zone Tech announced after what seemed like an age. The Yellow laser disengaged and was replaced by an even more rapidly moving green one.
"Okay we're almost done here," Announced Lex. Stroking his chin thoughtfully "the final stage is just a tidy up, shouldn't take much more than five minutes." True to his word, the green laser shut down again shortly after and Zone Tech announced that the procedure was now complete. The Medical beam's projector unit ascended into the ceiling and a panel slid automatically across the hole to hide it from view.
Tyler sat up on the medical bench and stretched his muscles. His side still ached and the skin around his newly regenerated ribs was quite tender to the touch.
"That's perfectly normal," Lex re-assured "You're going to have to stay here over night to make sure the graft holds, but the pain should have worn off by morning." Lex walked over to the entrance of the medical centre.
"Thanks bud," Tyler said gratefully.
"Don't mention it," Lex replied looking back toward him. "Just do me a favour and don't let this get to you." He knew Tyler of old. He knew the beating that he'd just received would be eating away at him. Tyler let out a weak smile; maybe he really was that obvious.
"Sure thing bud," He confirmed as Lex walked out in the direction of the lift to the command room. Lex didn't understand. It wasn't just his ribs that the masked man had smashed to pieces; it was his pride as well. Ever since he was a child Tyler had tried hard to convince himself that he needed no one. During his school days, although he'd had friends, he'd always been considered somewhat a loner. He never needed to be centre of attention or feel that he was liked, he didn't need anyone. But today he had, if it weren't for the others he wouldn't have left that town square alive and he didn't like it one little bit.
Tyler walked across the medical centre into the much comfier looking recovery room, made up of two outsized single beds, a couple of plush leather visitors chairs and a full length mirror. Shadow sprang to his feet as he did so and followed, watching him sorrowfully as he stripped down to his underwear, revealing a well toned body underneath and getting under the heavy blanket.
He sat up in the bed and stared at the wall opposite. A thousand thoughts swam around his head and his mind didn't seem to be able to decide in which order it wanted to deal with them. Shadow nuzzled his snout against Tyler's hand and he began to absentmindedly run his fingers through Shadows long fur. Where had that guy in the mask come from? Did it have something to do with the energy disturbance zoney had picked up? It had to; it was too much of a coincidence otherwise, but what? He would have dwelled further on the matter but Shadow's voice interrupted his train of thought.
"I'm sorry master," he mumbled quietly. Tyler abruptly stopped stroking. He was a little taken aback. After all it had been a long time since Shadow had called him master, specifically because he'd asked him not too.
"I thought we'd agreed that you're my friend, not my servant?" Tyler asked quizzically.
"I am your guardian master; it is my duty to protect you. But I very nearly failed that duty today and for that I am sorry. Please forgive me," Tyler felt his chest tighten again, he knew all about failure. He looked away from Shadow, let out a deep sigh and laid back onto the soft pillow, staring, unfocused at the ceiling above.
"Don't beat yourself up about it," he paused "at least you came when I needed you,"
"I shouldn't have had to come in the first place. I should have already been there," Those words resonated throughout Tyler's conscious, reflecting his own feelings of guilt. He didn't really believe the words that he found himself saying next, but they felt like the right thing to say at the time.
"We can't always be there for everyone bud. Now get some sleep," Shadow hopped up onto the foot of the bed and curled up at Tyler's feet, resting his head on his front paws. It hadn't been Shadow's fault he hadn't already been with him at sector G. Tyler had asked him to stay at headquarters with Lex while he visited Pleasant Dreams alone. "Oh and one more thing," He added, sitting up to look at Shadow. "Don't call me master." He smiled down at his friend, who beamed back at him. He leant forward, ruffled Shadows fur and then lay back down.
Soon the slow, rise and fall of Shadows back and occasional snort indicated to Tyler that he'd fallen asleep. Tyler found however that he could not. He lay wide awake, thinking over the events that had unfolded earlier that day. He watched over and over in his head how the masked man had predicted each and every one of his moves. Felt the rib shattering kick and the warm breath against his face as he'd told him that he was the better of the two. His eyes eventually started getting heavy though and he bowed to their will and closed them.
When he opened them again he found himself in, nothing. Startled he sat bolt up right, only to discover that he was already standing and this action had almost sent him crashing to the ground, which he soon realised, wasn't actually there. He floated on the spot, suspended in the blackness all around him. It kind of reminded him of zero gravity and he hated zero gravity. There was no sense of air on his skin, which at least clarified to Tyler that he wasn't flying, but also made him question whether or not he was actually breathing. The possibility he might not be however, didn't seem to be causing him any kind of real stress so he put it to the back of his mind. He listened intently for any kind of sound, but none came. If he'd known how he'd arrived in this strange place, he may have found the complete sensory deprivation almost relaxing, but as it stood, he felt quite unnerved.
"Shadow?! Lex?! Marcus?!...Anyone?!" He shouted, the words echoing in his head, but he was vaguely aware that no sound was exiting from his mouth. Was he completely alone in the infinite blackness? How had he got here? And where were the others? He couldn't allow himself to panic; if he was going to get out of here he had to keep a cool head.
"Tyler," the voice came so unexpectedly that it caught him completely off guard. He felt his heart jump and then pound rhythmically against his chest. He whirled around as best as the strange weightless state would allow, but he could see nothing in any direction and there was silence once more. He was sure he'd known the voice, a female voice, but who's.
"Who's there?" He asked, not really expecting an answer, he waited for a few moments, straining to hear the faintest whisper of noise. But if hearing the sound of one voice had caught him off guard, then absolutely nothing could have prepared him for what followed. His ears were suddenly inundated with the ear splitting screams of what sounded like thousands of people. He covered his ears and instinctively screwed up his eyes to try and block out the sound, but it somehow permeated through and rang throughout his whole head. He would have buckled to his knees beneath the pressure of it all but as there was no ground beneath him, he found himself pulling his knees up to his chest, putting himself into an almost foetal position, trying desperately to make himself smaller and thus a less easy target for the relentless onslaught of screaming voices. Then, just as abruptly as it had begun, it stopped.
Tyler tentatively removed his hands from his ears; he hesitated for a moment, reluctant to open his eyes, as if doing so would start the cacophony again. He expected to be met with the same endless darkness as before, but when he opened his eyes he found himself lying, curled up on the floor of a dimly lit corridor. He quickly sprang to his feet and surveyed his surroundings. None of this made any sense to him whatsoever. The corridor resembled the ones at headquarters, but they were usually much better lit than this. He didn't know how he knew, but he was sure he was underground, he was also sure that if he was indeed at HQ, then he'd never been in this particular corridor. He stepped out into the middle of the passageway and looked up and down it. In the distance ahead of him, he could see a huge security door, beyond which he could just about make out some kind of electronics equipment. Behind him the corridor branched off to the left and right.
It was then that he heard gun fire in the distance, followed by the sound of metal contorting and then collapsing. A man yelled out in pain. He knew that voice too. It was Marcus! He tried to run down the corridor toward the source of the sound, but his legs didn't seem to want to carry him.
"Just GO!" He heard Marcus shouting at someone.
"I'm not leaving you here Marcus!" It couldn't be. Tyler froze on the spot. That was Teah's voice. He heard Marcus cough violently before saying.
"We both know I aint walkin' outa here and der's only room in that pod for one."
"Marcus…" Teah's voice trailed off as though she was torn between leaving Marcus and continuing toward whatever goal the two of them had originally been pursuing.
"GO!!!" Marcus growled "I'll hold 'em off as long as I can." Tyler fought frantically against his body, willing it to allow him to move, but to no avail. He could hear whatever it was Marcus had to hold off coming toward his friends. It sounded like there were hundreds of tiny feet scampering slowly down the corridor, and each of whatever those feet were carrying was laughing maniacally. Time seemed to slow down for a moment as Teah rounded the corner and began to run toward him. Her eyes flashed with recognition for a split second as if she'd seen him. But then she ran right by like he wasn't there.
"Hehe, alright, lets see what you got," Tyler heard Marcus taunting the laughing creatures that were descending upon him before opening fire. His gun continued to fire for a few seconds more and Tyler heard a few of the creatures' death cries, before Marcus let out an ear splitting scream of his own accompanied by a disgusting, squelching sound. Whatever was coming down the corridor after Teah was eating Marcus alive. Tyler turned and saw that she hadn't made it to the security door yet, he considered shouting out to her, but something deep inside told him that it would be useless, so instead he readied himself to fight the unknown creatures. Without warning a hand grasped his shoulder firmly and he heard the words.
"This isn't your fight, wake up Tyler," being whispered in his ear by a deep, spectral voice. The next thing he knew he was shaking violently.
"Wake up Ty, c'mon man snap out of it," Tyler's eyes sprang open to find a concerned looking Lex gripping his shoulders and shaking him. He grabbed him by the shirt and spluttered,
"Lex, its Marcus he's, they're killing him! And Teah, she's running from them. They're killing him Lex! I couldn't move!" Lex and Shadow, who was no longer sat at the foot of the bed, but was now standing on the floor beside Lex, exchanged confused glances. This didn't matter to Tyler, he had to get to that corridor and he had to save the others.
"Who's killing him Tyler? And what about Teah? You're not making any sense," Tyler wrestled from Lex's grip and jumped from the bed, brushing past Shadow and grabbing frantically at his jeans before pulling them on.
"There might still be time; we have to get to..." He'd just bent over again to pick up his shirt, but as his fingers closed around the white cotton polo neck he realised that he didn't have the slightest idea where he needed to go. He flopped backward so he was sitting on the edge of the bed, trying to clear the fog that had started building in his mind.
"Tyler calm down, it was just a dream. I don't know where you think you've been or what's been going on, but I can guarantee that you've not left this room," Lex sat down next to Tyler and put a reassuring hand on his shoulder.
"But it was so real bud," Tyler replied, in a much calmer tone. The sense of reason had taken back control of his brain from the irrational need to take action and he had started to feel more than a little foolish. He sat staring at the shirt in his hands. "Sorry" He added.
"Don't stress about it, we were just a little worried, Shadow came charging into command saying you'd starting thrashing around uncontrollably, took me nearly ten minutes to wake you up," Lex explained "must've been one hell of a nightmare,"
"Yeah just what were you dreamin' about Ty'?" Shadow asked. Tyler spent the next few minutes regaling the events of his dream. How he'd been trapped in the void and heard the screaming, how he'd seen Teah and been in the strange underground corridor.
"Lets just put it down to a bad reaction to the meds I gave you shall we, and just leave it at that?" Lex chimed in before Tyler could go any further with the story, he was clearly spooked about something. Until that point Tyler had been perfectly prepared to leave it at that, but now he wasn't so sure. He looked across at Shadow who had also seemed to have picked up on Lex's unease.
"What's up Lex? Don't like ghost stories?" asked Shadow mockingly. Lex hastily got to his feet and headed for the door.
"I'll see you guys later. I gotta get back to command, Tyler try and get some more sleep and forget about it okay?" He said before leaving, closing the door behind him.
"What's with him?" Tyler asked Shadow, a little confused by Lex's strange reaction. Shadow shrugged.
"I wouldn't worry about it," He said "you're not the only one that Teah meant a lot too ya' know. Probs just hurts him to think about her." Tyler wasn't so sure. He knew Lex and in the two years since Teah's death a mention of her name had never elicited that kind of response from him.
Tyler stretched, glancing up at a digital clock mounted on the far wall and seeing that it was still only three AM, laid back down on top of the bed sheets reasoning that whatever had shocked Lex so thoroughly could wait until morning. He closed his eyes again and with the nightmare still playing in his mind, eventually drifted off into a restless sleep.
The following morning Tyler examined his side in the recovery room mirror and was more than pleased with the results of the bone regeneration process, his ribs felt completely normal and there was no bruising to be found anywhere on or around the previously damaged area. He dressed quickly and headed down the medical centre corridor to the elevator at the far end. He stepped inside and pressed the button to take him to the ground floor; the Elevator lurched and rose swiftly up the lift shaft. As there were currently only four elite force members it was not necessary for headquarters (with the exception of the vehicle hangar) to be all that large. The ground floor consisted of the Central Command room, with the hangar, Dining & kitchen area, Lex's research lab/workshop and the gym branching off from it. Upstairs housed the teams' sleeping quarters and the basement played host to the medical centre, complete with small scale transit gate, linking it and the other rooms in case of emergency. With a traditional 'ping' sound, which Tyler was confident had only been installed for nostalgic value, the elevator doors slid open and he stepped out into the hall, turned left passed command and headed for the kitchens, with Shadow hot on his heals. When he arrived, he found Marcus and Lex had beaten him there. Marcus was busily prodding at the contents of three large frying pans, each containing large quantities of meat. As a genetically engineered and cybernetically enhanced powerhouse, Marcus' muscles burned off vast amounts of calories each day and although he could survive perfectly well without doing so, he felt it necessary to keep his calorie level topped up by eating the culinary equivalent of a small rhinoceros as often as humanly possible. Lex was sitting at the table reading the daily newspaper, the headline on the cover read 'Sixth child in six days' with a sub heading 'With so many missing is our police force facing an epidemic'. Lex however was reading a page further into the paper and from the look on his face he wasn't impressed. Neither of them noticed Tyler standing in the doorway, nor Shadow who had instinctively frozen on the spot when Tyler had stopped.
"You just gotta love the media," Lex said, his voice filled with derision "Ya know when Professor Rose and I first finished development on the first line of Androids they made us out to be heroes. We'd solved the labour shortage, everything was gonna be peachy." An angry bitterness crept into his voice "Ha, and now we're the guys who introduced those interfering androids that steal all our jobs. He picked up a cup of tea to his right and sipped from it pensively. Marcus stopped prodding at his pans and turned to face Lex, something clearly on his mind.
"So he dreamed I got eaten? That's messed up man," Lex must have told Marcus about the dream before Tyler had got up.
"That's what he said, well he said he heard you scream, he just 'knew' you were being eaten, but remember it was just a dream," He replied.
"Yeah a real messed up dream,"
"Well Freud would say that the dream symbolises latent sexual desires toward his mother," Marcus' eyes widened in shock at Lex's words.
"You gotta be kiddin' me," He blurted. Tyler decided now would be a good time to make his presence known, if only to stop Lex participating in any more inadvertent character deformation. Marcus may have been a physical marvel, but his mental capacity wasn't anything to write home about. He wouldn't realise Lex was speaking metaphorically and would at that very moment be thinking Tyler secretly wanted to sleep with his mother.
"Yeah and if I remember you told me that he also wrote numerous dissertations on the benefits of smoking opium?" Tyler interjected stepping into the room. "Which makes his theories on dream interpretation a little dubious to say the least." Marcus let out a hearty laugh and turned back to his cooking, seemingly satisfied that Tyler didn't secretly harbour incestuous desires and thus all was well. Shadow wandered over to Marcus and looked up at him expectantly. Marcus looked down at him, rolled his large brown eyes, picked up a huge portion of steak in his tongs and waved it in front of him. Shadow tracked the swaying meal with his head.
"Fetch?" Marcus asked suggestively. Shadow pulled a face which portrayed the message 'not in this lifetime'. Sighing, Marcus released the meat, which fell barely a foot before being snatched out of its decent by a hungry Shadow, who then proceeded to carry it between his teeth over to where Tyler had just sat down. He curled up on the floor beside him and started to tear at the meat.
"Thanks big guy," He commented between bites. Marcus shook his head and continued cooking.
Tyler looked over at Lex who was still hidden behind his paper.
"So another one has gone missing?" He said spotting the papers' main headline and wanting to sound casual while he thought about of the best way to bring up the topic that was on his mind. Lex didn't answer, but continued to read his paper. He knew full well what Tyler really wanted to talk about and he clearly wasn't going to make it easy. After literally seconds more mental debate Tyler opted to drop the pretence and go for the direct approach "what was up with you last night?" Lex still didn't lower his paper, but reached out to his right again, put down his tea and picked up a slice of toast. After taking a bite out of it, he replied coolly.
"Last night? How do you mean?"
"When I was telling you about my dream you suddenly got all uptight and rushed out," Tyler elaborated.
"Don't know what you mean," Lex replied still not lowering his paper. Tyler reached out and wrenched it from his hands to prevent any further concealment.
"Don't gimme that crap; something was eating at you,"
"Nah dat was me remember," Marcus joked. Sitting down beside Tyler with a plate piled high with what looked like and could very easily have been half a cow. Marcus' interruption put Tyler off his stride for a moment but he carried on regardless "So c'mon what was it, I wanna know," Lex looked flustered. His eyes darted from Tyler, to Marcus, to Shadow and back to Tyler, as if a way out the spot he'd found himself in would be miraculously written on one of their faces. There was a long awkward pause, all eyes were focused expectantly upon Lex, he opened his mouth to speak and…
"Incoming transmission from U.E.D.F headquarters," Zone Tech's voice cut through the silence and prompted Lex to spring to his feet, a look of sheer relief on his face.
"Better get that," he said heading for the door.
"Lex!" Said a very exasperated Tyler. "Hold it!" But lex was already out the door and heading up the corridor. "Ever get the feeling someone's hiding something from you? He commented to the other two before heading after Lex, picking up a slice of his toast on the way out.
"Where you goin?" Marcus asked him, standing up as if he was missing something.
"It'll be for me," Tyler replied
"How'd you know?" Marcus questioned further, following Tyler out of the Kitchen followed by Shadow and still carrying his breakfast.
"Aint it always for me?" Tyler answered shrugging his shoulders as he did so. As leader of the elite force, calls from headquarters tended to be for him and nearly always from one person in particular, He had a fair idea that it would be her calling right now.
As they filed into the command room his suspicions were confirmed, looming down over him from the 15ft main monitor was Commander Beverly Broadbent, head of the United Earth Defence Forces. She wore a gunmetal grey military dress coat, decorated heavily in service medals and pips. Her deep red hair was cropped just above her shoulders and was parted inch perfectly down the centre of her high, proud forehead. She looked down her nose at Tyler through tiny circular spectacles, smiling a fixed, forced smile.
"Ah Colonel Proudheart," She said in what appeared to be the most civil tone she could muster. "How are the ribs?" She ended her sentence with an almost sinister look of pleasure in her eyes. Tyler shot Lex an angry glare; did he have to report every little thing that happened?
"Fine thanks Beverly," he replied. Tyler had never been one to stand on ceremony. He hated the militaries obsession with titles and categorisation, which was why he ran the elite force on a first name basis. Technically, he was a colonel, Marcus a captain (promoted from first Lieutenant after Teah's Death) and although he had no military rank, Lex's correct designation was professor. He believed however, that respect should be earned and that his orders shouldn't just be followed blindly on the basis that he was of higher rank than the others. Plus the look of pure blind fury on Commander Broadbent's face when he called her Beverly, was in Tyler's eyes worth a court marshal to witness. "What can I do for you today?" he continued.
"Colonel, colonel," she answered, her voice filled with mock disdain, "always straight down to business."
"Well you know how it is Beverly; you only call when you want something. Almost makes a guy feel used," Tyler didn't even attempt to hide the sarcasm in his voice.
"Have it your way Proudheart, I'll get straight to the point," she said through gritted teeth. "As you know a new team member will be joining you shortly." Tyler slapped his hand to his forehead and dragged it slowly down his face, with all the previous day's events he'd forgotten all about Teah's replacement. Or maybe he'd deliberately forgotten, he couldn't be entirely sure. Assigning a replacement for Teah made her death all the more final. "You hadn't forgotten had you Colonel?" Broadbent went on with a mild chuckle.
"Who me? Forget? Nooooo no, no, no," He covered badly, shuffling uncomfortably on the spot for a moment. The fact he'd only glanced at the new arrivals file when it had been dropped on his desk wasn't helping matters. He took a mental walk to his office and could see perfectly in his head the sky blue personnel folder perched precariously on top of a pile of discarded memos. Sadly the name on the folder remained obscured to his minds eye. He sighed and found himself asking "What was her name again?"
"Oh so you remember that it's a woman, well that's a start at least. Honestly Proudheart, I can't believe you're in charge over their." Broadbent seemed to be taking a sick pleasure in watching Tyler squirm. My predecessor was such a poor judge of character. If I had it my way an amateur like you would never have been given such an important command," Tyler's eyes flashed. Broadbent's predecessor, Commander Thompson, had been the very person that established the elite force. He was a great man, a man of integrity, a man who earned the respect of those around him. To Tyler he was everything that Broadbent wasn't.
"Then we should be thankful that it isn't up to you then, shouldn't we commander," Tyler growled back at her. Broadbent fixed him with a vindictive stare. He'd hit a nerve, if there was one thing she hated about him and the Elite force, it was the fact that even though they came under the umbrella of the U.E.D.F, because of their unique abilities the team was formed under the supervision of the U.E.G council, who ultimately had the final authority over their deployment and structuring. But, she swore to herself, one of these days she'd be rid of Proudheart for good. Tyler watched as Commander Broadbent wrestled with her feelings of hatred toward him and smiled. He also couldn't help but take a certain pleasure in watching the good commander suffer. Eventually she took a deep breath, looked away from the videophone, and composed herself.
"Amy Vincent," She said at last, "Your new U.E.G sanctioned team member is first lieutenant Amy Vincent, transferring from the Neo America branch of the U.E.D.F."
"AMY VINCENT!" Lex blurted, almost falling off his chair, "As in head Councillor Vincent's daughter!"
"Well at least someone there knows their stuff professor," said Broadbent, beaming down at Lex. She may have openly hated Tyler but she was equally open about her fondness of Lex. In her eyes, the greatest scientific intelligence of the century could do no wrong. Tyler shot him a sideways glance and half shook his head, before saying.
"Well what do you expect? He is a genius after all," The hatred returned to Broadbent's face as she went back to glaring at him.
Tyler was a little confused, being the daughter of the figurehead of the U.E.G; Amy Vincent's military career had been well documented in the news. She'd risen quickly through the ranks at the U.E.D.F and so at the age of nineteen was now only one rank below Marcus. Some cynics from the press attributed this rapid succession to her father's position on the council, and while this may have been true to an extent, those on the inside knew that she was actually a very talented soldier, talented, but not at least to Tyler's knowledge, particularly exceptional or gifted.
"This isn't a crèche Beverly, and we're not babysitters,"
"Tell me Colonel, do you ever read any of the files that I send you?" Broadbent asked.
"Yeah…," Tyler lied. Broadbent gave him another disapproving look. Her patience with Tyler had finally reached its limit.
"Look I don't have time for this," She snapped. "Her intercontinental transport left twenty minutes ago, so she will be with you within the next few hours. I suggest you read her file Proudheart."
"Again," Tyler added
"Whatever. Good day Professor Winterbury-Stanton, Captain" She gave Lex another admiring smile and nodded at Marcus who was standing in the corner. "Broadbent out." The monitor went blank as she cut the video feed and was then replaced for a few seconds by the Elite force insignia, a large E.F emblazoned shield with U.E.D.F written below it. Lex looked over at Tyler who was standing with his arms folded as if deep in thought.
"Ya know, that attitude of yours is gonna get you in serious trouble one of these days Ty'," Tyler shrugged off the comment. He knew Broadbent couldn't discharge him without the councils go ahead, and that so long as he was designated a 'threat to mankind' they would rather keep him where he was.

#45 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6687 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

Nice. I really enjoy your writing style. :) Interestingly, I saw much of this chapter playing out in my mind's eye as if it were the panels of a black and white comic book. For some reason this effect went into overdrive at the point Tyler "woke up" in the dark. Must have been the the stark contrast of colors playing. Interestingly also, in the previous chapter I didn't get a very clear visual of Shadow. In this reading he was crystal clear in my mind. This worked somewhat retroactively as I considered the previous chapter in retrospect and I really should go back and read that section now that I can visualize him. I will leave you with one little tiny critique that I seem to suggest in every script/story I read. It's piddly but important so I'll share it here. Always watch for those tiny typos, especially stray uses and variations of the word "there", "their" and "they're". As I see them often I assume such errors are very prevalent in writing these days. I only mention this because running across these unintended words can rip the reader right out of the moment just when you've managed to get them there. Does this fall into the category you mention before about criticizing free gifts? I don't think so. Such a great read really deserves to be freed of those type of errors. We are on your schedule with regard to posting chapters but as a suggestion... pace yourself... enjoy this process of serialization... allow a moment or two for us to really sink our teeth into these two chapters before posting the next. Translation: As soon as I get the time I want to go back and read chapters one and two back to back! :) Thanks Dan!

#46 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

Yeah I have no doubt that there's typos all over the place in the manuscript. I do my best to read through everything as I go along to keep it to a minimum but in my original writing plan (This was waaaaay back in the early 2000's) I was gonna get the thing written and then spend a month proof reading the crap out of it. But alas it never happened. Hell even the story never got finished (Well I know how it ends but I never wrote it down). As for posting the chapters I can post a chapter whenever. Just lemme know.

#47 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6687 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hell even the story never got finished (Well I know how it ends but I never wrote it down).

This is one thing I like about serialization (and love to hate as well); that the story never ends.
The trick being to give a sense of growth and change without effecting too significant a change that we lose the core of the character(s).

This is very unlike many of the comic books these days which for all intents and purposes are never ending tales.
There needs to be definitive beginnings and ends but for the most part this is confined to secondary and supporting characters.
A fatal flaw is often introduced when those who grew up on the earlier stories attempt to update (and improve) the stories that they loved so well.
In the process they end up with results that would have been better if they would have just created a new brand with a new set of characters.

As for posting the chapters I can post a chapter whenever. Just lemme know.

Well, I want to next the next installment already but I also know that there is gold to be mined in the resources/chapters already made available.
A key to serialized entertainment is not giving the audience exactly what they want exactly when they have an expectation for it. This can be a challenge with distribution via periodic release of a story at specific intervals. It seems to me distribution of a story should be predictable (where to find it, how often it is made available) but in the case of the story itself that should never be the case. Here the underlying cry goes out; "Entertain me. Don't give me what I want. Keep me guessing!"

It has been said that animation is all in the Timing and the Spacing. I cannot help but believe this. I'd extend that further to suggest the equivalent in storytelling is the purposeful exaggeration of timing and spacing consciously crafted into a level of irresistible anticipation.

Only two chapters in, I see your story has this anticipatory element already working for it.

#48 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

The way I see that a story should work is based on questions and answers. The beginning of the story should raise questions in the readers mind, the middle should offer some answers even if it only leads to more questions and the end should answer most if not all the questions. By that I mean the things that the reader accepts on faith due to an invisible bond of trust developed with the story teller, don't necessarily need to be explained. The Meta I guess is what I mean, the questions about the universe itself rather than those about the current story. That's why I think a lot of people were annoyed with the series lost. I loved the first series because it introduced strong characters and raised a lot of questions....and then the writers hardly answered any of them or copped out and said "We're leaving that up to your interpretation" I always read that sentence as "We made it up as we went along and don't really know"

#49 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

It kinda doesn't look like I've mentioned it on here, but as well as Breckridge I've also been doing Parallel Worlds as an audiobook.

Episode 1 - Pleasant Dreams can be seen here - http://blip.tv/aceco...diobook-6644462

and Episode 2 - The Screams of the Void is here - http://blip.tv/aceco...lds-ep2-6714137

PW will eventually get the fancy intro treatment like Breckridge did but right now the focus is getting the story established. Those of you that read the first 2 chapters I posted here a while ago will probs notice that episode 2 finishes about half way through the second chapter. This is due to the fact I'm splitting them up because I don't like releasing 30 minute long videos.

Anyway hope they appeal to some of you and lemme know what you think.

#50 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

Episode 3 of Parallel Worlds is now up and available for a listen.

Parallel Worlds: Episode 3 - Broad and Bent - http://blip.tv/aceco...lds-ep3-6720527