Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Coffee Shop

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• *A:M User*

Thanks Gerry

I will upload more tonight as I have got most of the interior furnishing completed. Behind the counter I have not finished yet, the coffe grinders, brewers and expresso machines.

Steve

The counter is an important shot in the short so I have gone overboard at this point and will break it down later. Here are the cabinets and fur down and then counter in place.

Steve

cabinets0.jpg

countershelves0.jpg

countertops0.jpg

Thanks David. I got the couch and the chairs off the forum and just removed the color to see them. I agree will have to clean up a little. But whoever made these models did a good job.

Steve

after you've applied all materials, decals - right click in model window - Bake surface. A new decal container will be created.

Additionally, jpg images/maps will be created for color, spec, ambiance, transparency, & bump (reflectivity?) and saved in your project folder. The images will be undecipherable to hooomans, due to mapping scheme, but you can then delete all the other materials, decals. Saves on render time, as well as ram requirements.

Try it. If you shift click on "bake surface" you will get options to change the resolution of the baked image maps.

I do not know if all materials can be baked (dark trees?). But all decals will be combined into one image. You can then delete those other "unbaked" decals.

Nancy using a lot of different materials. Some darktree and some from the extra cd.

I did a test today.

Applied a darktree material to the couch. then baked the material to the surface. Rendered with AO 9 passes and it took 4:08

Then took the same couch with the same material and rendered it without baking with AO 9 passes and it took 2:45.

Baked material was a 1:23 longer to render than just a material applied.

The only thing I noticed when I baked the material to the couch it took over a minute. The other materials and decals were baked very quickly on the other models.

Steve

Applied a darktree material to the couch. then baked the material to the surface. Rendered with AO 9 passes and it took 4:08

Then took the same couch with the same material and rendered it without baking with AO 9 passes and it took 2:45.

Baked material was a 1:23 longer to render than just a material applied.

Are you sure you removed the dark tree material after you baked it? It doesn't make any sense that the baked decal version (of the darktree material) would take longer than the unbaked material. But I guess it's possible...???

Which Darktree material was it? Not all materials are the same, render hit wise. Did you have other things going on? like sss? hair?

Nancy

That was why I posted it. I think the material is called intsoft leather. I tried it again with the same results. I started new project and will test again this evening

Steve

I just tested pc, ver 16 release 32 bit, intsoftleather material versus decal version of it, for both regular AO and fakeAO. decal was always faster.

I am also interested in this - so that is why I am also testing.

EDIT: Note that I had 2 test objects in the fakeAO test, versus only 1 in the real AO test. So render time for fakeAO probably would have been half of what I posted, had I only used 1 instance of the model (ie 38 secs for material, 14 for decal)

aocomparematerialdecal.jpg

FakeaoCompareMaterialDecalp.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

AM 16 64 bit AO 9 passes

Ok. Reworked the file.

With material added 2:45 still the same time

This time I loaded the couch blank loaded the material and baked the surface. Save the model. Close AM, open into new prj, opend the baked couch, loaded in chor., then rendered. (It reloaded the material even though I baked the surface.) Rendered again and it rendered 2:51.

I deleted the material and when I did it took the color away from the couch. Checked the baked decal it was still showing in the model, and it was now black rather than brown decal.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong

Steve

started decaling andadding materials to the interior

counterwood0.jpg

This time I loaded the couch blank loaded the material and baked the surface. Save the model. Close AM, open into new prj, opend the baked couch, loaded in chor., then rendered. (It reloaded the material even though I baked the surface.) Rendered again and it rendered 2:51.

I deleted the material and when I did it took the color away from the couch. Checked the baked decal it was still showing in the model, and it was now black rather than brown decal.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong

After you bake the surface, you must delete the materials, (and any of the other decals, besides the baked decal, if there are any), then save the model (new name). Baking the surface does not delete any materials or any of the other decals, from the model. You must do that manually. It sounds like when you rendered, you were rendering with both the baked decal & the material on the couch, thus the increase in time.

From your description, it does not sound like you re-rendered after you deleted the material. Yes, the model will look different in the model window after deleting the material, but the baked decal only version should render close in appearance (but not exactly exact) to the material only version, with a reduced render time. Eventually you might want to tweak the bump map/percentage for the decaled version. And you might want to delete some of the other maps, if they aren't doing anything - ie transparency, spec, ambiance. (Not necessary to delete, however).

Your new interior is looking good!

(if you still can't get render time down after deleting material, then something else is going on with the couch probably, would need to see model)

Thanks for the help Nancy, but I still can not get it to work. I opened the couch with no material. Applied the material, then baked. I then deleted the material from the model and the material bin. then I save the model new name. As soon as a deleted the material the model turned white. I then closed am and reloaded. Opened the model and the bake stamp is there with color but the model does not render with color.

thanks for the comment on the interior.

Steve

Thanks for the help Nancy, but I still can not get it to work. I opened the couch with no material. Applied the material, then baked. I then deleted the material from the model and the material bin. then I save the model new name. As soon as a deleted the material the model turned white. I then closed am and reloaded. Opened the model and the bake stamp is there with color but the model does not render with color.

Strange - if the decal is there, and the decal image has color, then perhaps the mapping is not correct from the baking? Or there is a difference between 32bit and 64 bit ver 16, or perhaps the resolution of the image map isn't sufficient? If you want - post the model, with the material.

Can you get it to work with just a simple model - eg cylinder, sphere?

Nancy

I did it with a sphere. Applied material. Baked. deleted (color left as I deleted). Saved model. Restarted. opened newly baked model and color gone decal is there but can not reassociate the decal to the model.

Steve

Nancy

I did it with a sphere. Applied material. Baked. deleted (color left as I deleted). Saved model. Restarted. opened newly baked model and color gone decal is there but can not reassociate the decal to the model.

I do not understand the statement "cannot reassociate decal to model". Do you have decals turned off?

Is there a decal container in the model (BakedSurface) that has Images bs_color, bs_specularintensity, bs_bump, etc? When you import the baked model - do those images not get loaded into your project? Where were the images written to when you baked the surface?

Were you able to render the baked surface model after baking, after deleting material, but before restarting? Does it not work only after restarting? Ie can you render before shutting A:M down?

Have you tried with any material other than dark trees type? eg gradient?

here's my steps: new/project

1) create or import sphere model

2) import intsoftLeather Material (or create new material and save material). I am not working with embedded material.

3) make a group of all cps

4) drag material to that group (I am not dragging to the model - but to a group)

5) save model - call it prebake - do a quick 1 pass render (no AO)

6) save project somewhere (important because thats the folder where the jpg images will be saved)

7) right click in prebake model - bake surface (I shift clicked and changed resolution to 9, and checked overwrite existing files)

8) you should have images show up in project, and a decal container show up in model, that points to these new jpg images

9) delete the material from the model (do not have to delete from project)

10) save model - call it baked

10) render the baked model (do a quick 1 pass no AO) - decal should show up

start new project (no name)

import baked model

it should have the images, decal containers come in with it.

ver16 release, 32 bit PC

bakesurface2.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

Thanks Mark

I am trying to make a mirror. I have done this before but for whatever reason I can not remember. Behind the counter I want to have a mirror. I have the surface as black and 100%reflective on it as well. Here is a shot. It works but that is not what I want the look to be. Any thoughts

Steve

testdecal0.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Nic3e models! I thought that was maybe your photo reference image until i clicked on it.

Thanks Mark

I am trying to make a mirror. I have done this before but for whatever reason I can not remember. Behind the counter I want to have a mirror. I have the surface as black and 100%reflective on it as well. Here is a shot. It works but that is not what I want the look to be. Any thoughts

Steve

I'm not sure where the mirror is there. Is it in front of the book shelf looking thing?

Normally you'd just leave the "surface" of a mirror as white. Are you wanting a dark mirror?

Off to Florida and annual trip to Walt Disney World. Be back June 2. You all have fun!

I'd stay away from Hollywood Studios if I were you! With the Star Wars weekends starting, the re-opening of the Star Tours ride, rumors of G Lucus being there, the place is going to be wall to wall bodies. My daughter works in Toy Story mania, they have her on 75 hour work weeks form the next month...Not the time to be on vacation in Disney.

Thanks for letting me know. We go every year and this was not my choice of time to go. We were aware of star tours and star wars weekends we have planned accordingly. Hopefully by mid week next week we will be able to ride the tours.

Thanks for letting me know. We go every year and this was not my choice of time to go. We were aware of star tours and star wars weekends we have planned accordingly. Hopefully by mid week next week we will be able to ride the tours.

the good news is, the other parks, especially in the middle of the week, will be fairly light!

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can see, the only thing that might make your set less than photorealistic are materials and lighting. The geometry seems spot on. Both you and David Simmons are creating some fantastic urban themed sets and models that seem very similar in style.