Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Just Helping Out

mtpeak2

I've started helping Katt out with a few things on her project. Here's a set I've been working on for her. The muddy water is animated and there is particle bubbles, but I didn't render the with particles on. I added 2 models in the chor for a sense of scale.

Lighting for a toon render was a bit different. I opted to render with "toon with falloff" with one kleig light, which I think came out pretty well. Hopefully this is a look we can carry over to some of her other scenes.

MuddyWater_Set.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Mark,

Katt must be very pleased to have the assistance.

Who wouldn't be!

'Just a Wooden Sword' is a fantasy of epic porportion.

I'm amazed with the quality and quantity of work on display already.

With your assistance more of the story can be told.

Go Katt! :)

Well, we'll see if I help her make it better or worse. ;)

I'm getting close to having one of the models rerigged. I hope to have it in good shape by tomorrow. There is some extra rigging for the sword, bow and arrows. I also want to add the face rig as well at some point. I'm hoping those won't take too long.

I've started helping Katt out with a few things on her project. Here's a set I've been working on for her. The muddy water is animated and there is particle bubbles, but I didn't render the with particles on. I added 2 models in the chor for a sense of scale.

Lighting for a toon render was a bit different. I opted to render with "toon with falloff" with one kleig light, which I think came out pretty well. Hopefully this is a look we can carry over to some of her other scenes.

Mark, I'm so delighted and lucky to have you working with me. you're so knowledgeable and , l'm so lucky. i love the muddy swamp set. and the glowing fairy .

• Admin
I think I got the bow rigging setup. The bow is constrained to the left IK hand and the right IK hand is constrained to a null, which controls the bow string. So it's basicly animated by 2 nulls. Here's a test animation.

Stunningly effective.

You got everything right except the 'I think' part!

When you make things look that easy... character/bow and arrow rig setup ready for animating with 2 nulls... you know you have success.

(I was going to say something witty about hitting the 'mark', right on target, bullseye... something... but I don't have enough wit to throw at it) ;)

Mark, you are an Animation:Master virtuoso.

I've been working on a scene for Katt. I've added the sky (clouds somewhat animated), layered background trees, lighting and made some adjustments to the fire material for the bats. If I have time, I'll render the scene.

How does it look?

bats11.jpg

Thanks Steve.

Here's a test render with particles. Add the moon and setup the bat wings so I can randomize the start of the wing flap, so they don't flap in unison (pose slider adjusts the lag of an orient like constraint on the geometry bones to an expression bone).

I'm getting render artifacts from the streak emitter. Most likely because of multiple copies of the same model. I may try sprites instead of streaks, will probably render faster too. I might add an expression to the rate of emissions on the particle emitter, so it's not a constant flow of flames. The bat model still needs work on the rigging. I want to set it up so I can set the bats on pathes in the chor, right now the model bones are animated, unneeded key frames. Still lots to do, but getting close.

bats.mov

• 1 month later...

Thanks.

Katt did the modeling. Bree (in purple) is the model I used to create the other two. I just cleaned up the modeling on Bree, CFA and reigged. Then modified her for the others. I still have 3 to go. I have to come up with some different outfits and different hair styles. And I have to modify their faces a bit more, they look too much alike, I think.

• Admin
And I have to modify their faces a bit more, they look too much alike, I think.

Perhaps you have a point there.

I was just thinking that it was cool that they looked like they perfectly fit into the same world of fairies.

The thing of even more interest to me is that I favored the toon style more... until I looked closely at the standard render.

Then I liked that one more. Looking back at the toon render... swayed my opinion back that way again.

I guess I like them both.

Which do I like better... gah! I don't know.

I've now convincing myself I like the toon render just a wee-little bit more.

The point here I suppose is that they work really well in both stylistic worlds.

• Admin
Well one persons "yep" wasn't too encouraging.

Sorry Mark. I was pretty sure you knew my answer already.

I've also been consciously trying not to post 'me too' responses in the forum.

I like her! She seems quite differentiated from the others in the face at first look.

She looks different enough to meet your goal of providing some variety in facial expressions.

If you really want to attack the differences I'd suggest working on their silhouettes.

I haven't seen enough to compare/contrast to make any suggestions there.

You should be able to tell which is which without seeing *any* features just from their darkened in silhouettes.

Succeed there and that'll be well worth the effort.

Hope that makes sense.

Rodney