Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Attempt to rig Lambrina

mouseman

I attempted to rig Lambrina over a few days. The end result has a bunch of problems. I'm not sure where it (or I) went wrong.

I know some of the problems are probably my fault. I could have spent more time on assigning CPs to geometry bones and adjusting weighted CPs, but I wanted to see how it would turn out. I also might have fidgeted with some of the sizing of the fingers a little too much.

Moving the legs and feet shows nothing that I couldn't fix up with assigning points to bones and setting CP weights given enough time. Seems to work pretty well.

The chest is again something that seems okay except for stuff I have to fix with assigning points to bones and CP weights.

The more major problems are:

Just turning on Arms IK makes it go crazy.

Moving the pelvis messes things that whole area.

Here are the files in the attached archive:

Lambrina.mdl is after the bones have been sized.

Lambrina2.mdl is what I was working with for most of the rest of the time.

LambrinaExport.mdl is the exported Action.

Here are some additional comments on/suggestions for the instructions:

Page 21/77:

Rotate the green "Right Foot_Geom" bone
To what purpose? I think this is probably to match the foot, especially when the model is created with its legs straight spread apart or when the feet are not aimed straight forward.

Page 24/77:

Translate the "Right Ball Controller Target", using ...
There is no Right Ball Controller Target, only a Right Foot Controller Target and a Right Ball Orient Target. I am going to guess Right Ball Orient Target, since it matches the picture on Page 24.

Page 43/77:

From a top view, rotate the white "Right Hand INSTALL" bone ... to a good position.
Does that mean use the middle finger as a guide?

Page 62/77:

Manually translate the base of the "Right Hand Carpal Index" bone ...
The name of the bone is "Right Hand Carpal Index_Geom".

Page 63+64/77:

Scale the "Right Index 1_Geom" bone
The name of the bone is "Right Index F 1_Geom"

Page 70/77:Am I supposed to see anything? The "..." usually means a dialog is supposed to come up.

Page 76/77:Do you save the model after that?

Lambrina.zip

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only had time to take a quick look, but the first thing I noticed was that you did not delete the old relationships from the user properties and the relationship folder. This is the main problem with the rig not working properly. There is also issues in the way you installed the right foot bones, they are out off position. For the most part, the leg install could have been rotated on the Z axis to align the foot bones. 90% of the time, the knees and feet point in the same direction.

Sorry for the typos in the instructions, some of the bones were renamed in one of the updates, after the instructions were written.

I noticed was that you did not delete the old relationships from the user properties and the relationship folder.
Aha!

There is also issues in the way you installed the right foot bones, they are out off position. For the most part, the leg install could have been rotated on the Z axis to align the foot bones.
This also makes sense.

Sorry for the typos in the instructions, some of the bones were renamed in one of the updates, after the instructions were written.
In any work of this size, there is bound to be problems of this kind. What you have is incredible!

It looks like I need to back up and re-do almost all of the rigging when I get the time. I'm sure it will be much quicker the 2nd time.