Hash, Inc. Forums

Insect Contest WIP

fae_alba

Thought I'd share. Here's the scene I'm working on for the insect contest. i have my insect character very nearly done, but wanted to get the staging scene done first. I still need to get some sort of fogging added since I'm going for a film noir feel. I've surprised myself with the lighting, guess you really can teach an old dog new tricks. Any suggestions, let me have em!

mosquito0.png

• Admin

Looking vry good!

No suggestions here other than perhaps to dirty up the places where objects meet (brick wall and ground.... trash can and ground).

Perhaps that can be accomplished through rendering with SSAO (or AO) but mostly just to break up the smoothness of those lines.

If all part of the general style then disregard.

I've started four or five insect related images and finished none.

Sigh.

I would expect the inside to be illuminated as well, and can't quite get it there. It's a klieg light right now, but perhaps I need to experiment with a bulb instead.

You can have one kleig pointing down at the ground and another pointing up just to illuminate the light shade.

That way you can adjust each one's brightness separately for desired effect.

• Hash Fellow

I would expect the inside to be illuminated as well, and can't quite get it there. It's a klieg light right now, but perhaps I need to experiment with a bulb instead.

You can have one kleig pointing down at the ground and another pointing up just to illuminate the light shade.

Sorry, Paul! I meant to reply to your post but edited it instead... :facepalm:

If you can remember what you wrote and want to repost it that would be great.

Sorry, Paul! I meant to reply to your post but edited it instead... :facepalm:

If you can remember what you wrote and want to repost it that would be great.

you want me to remember something?!? Oh that's a hoot an a half! I was lamenting my lack of fog and the fact that the klieg light wasn't illuminating the inside of the lamp shade.

Here it is with volumetrics on the klieg light in the fixture.

mugshot0.png

Might just roll with it for now. I've still got to texture my bad guy insect (you can see the beginnings of him in the wanted poster). I'll see how the scene feels once I've got him added to it.

Hey Paul. I have a texture suggestion that might give it a bit more realism.

I think throughout all the objects this could improve your image but especially the brick wall.

It would look more believable if you placed a "dirt/ grunge" overlay on it. It appears very uniformly textured.

If you added an overlay to give it a shaded look that is not the same throughout, it would appear more natural.

You could create a PNG in Photoshop and stamp it across the surface. Kindof like a shadow but with a "grungy look."

That wall looks like it would have some "grime" and "gook" on it. Same goes for the light shade...But the wall is most noticeable.

Looks like a really nice composition. Lighting will look better also.....if you add shaded texturing onto those surfaces. Otherwise they

will seem flat shaded a bit.

Hey Paul. I have a texture suggestion that might give it a bit more realism.

I think throughout all the objects this could improve your image but especially the brick wall.

It would look more believable if you placed a "dirt/ grunge" overlay on it. It appears very uniformly textured.

If you added an overlay to give it a shaded look that is not the same throughout, it would appear more natural.

You could create a PNG in Photoshop and stamp it across the surface. Kindof like a shadow but with a "grungy look."

That wall looks like it would have some "grime" and "gook" on it. Same goes for the light shade...But the wall is most noticeable.

Looks like a really nice composition. Lighting will look better also.....if you add shaded texturing onto those surfaces. Otherwise they

will seem flat shaded a bit.

Rodney pointed out the same thing earlier, and I figured the same, just hadn't gotten around to it, since I had been neglecting the character in favor of the scene. Well, I'm sorta happy with the results all the way around so far, though I'm sure I will continue to mess with this all the way to the bitter end (aka deadline August 9). I traded the brick darksim material for a decal of dirty bricks (Google is great btw). I had to do some work on it since it introduced a repeating pattern that looked suspiciously like space invaders. Below is the result.

scene0.png

of course the minute I post the last pic, I noticed that the change I made to the image to remove the "space invaders" pattern in the brick didn't take affect. This is actually a material, with an image applied. I corrected the image, but A:M didn't reload the image to see the change. Short of deleting the image from the workspace and reloading, how do you get A:M to always grab the image from disk?

while final rendering it always should do that... there is a image cache which can be emptied by rightclicking on the Images folder in the PWS. (if i remember correctly).

Now see, this is what happens when I post before coffee! I was looking at the wrong image. using the right version does the trick. Thanks for the tip on clearing the image cache; I knew that was there somewhere, just not where.

One thing I'm digging about this contest, I've actually learned and put into practice more working on this scene in the past two weeks than the past several years. Maybe my knowledge of A:M is finally reaching critical mass and I'm finally comprehending what I've been hearing here on the forum, who knows. What is for sure is that what started out as a "what the heck, I'll put something in" into, being really stoked (again) about using A:M.

The only suggestion I have is that the soup can could use some internal geometry so that the decal of the label doesn't show through into the interior.

Looks great so far, Paul!

Good catch! Added a lid for good measure as well.