Hash, Inc. Forums

Instant Meshes (Retopology)

Rodney

• Admin

Here's a free program that might be useful for those that want to get at quad based topologies quickly.

It's based on fairly recent paper about 'instant field aligned meshes' (Link to project page here: http://igl.ethz.ch/projects/instant-meshes/

Binary files are available for Windows, Mac and Linux here as is the source code:

http://igl.ethz.ch/projects/instant-meshes/

The quick tests I did turned out quite good.

DIsclaimer: Don't think this will keep your textures mapped.... it won't as it's not that kind of program but rather one that works deeply on topology.

• Hash Fellow

That looks promising and interesting, although they don't have it down to spline economy..

(Rodney, Your first link is "page not found". I didn't know what it was supposed to be to fix it)

• Admin

Thanks for the heads up on the first link. It apparently had the closing bracket included in the URL.

The URL just takes you to the documentation of the method and that link is available via the download site also.

they don't have it down to spline economy.

Some of that depends on flow and continuity which will produce that economy and the user should be able to specify.

Use the brush tool and then paint the preferred flow directly on the model and the subsequent retopologizing will follow.

As for patch density I think the default target for density is set way too high for our needs although that might work well in other programs.

That default was 999 or something and dropping it to 300 worked pretty well on a simple model.