15 replies to this topic

#1 Nosferatu

Nosferatu

Craftsman

• A:M User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:25 PM

Back in the mid 90's (1890's...I'm very old) I used to used to model with RayDS and it had a great feature for positioning models relative to each other. You could actually move models to butt up against each other as the program would sense their surfaces touching. So putting a glass on a table was simply a matter of dragging it to the surface until the glass stopped moving. Is this possible to acheive in A:M or is there a technical challenge that won't allow it? Boy, would love to be able to have my vehicles sense the road surface. I realize there is a "surface constraint", but it doesn't seem to lend itself to a vehicle travelling long distances. What do you plugin Masters think? Is this possible to do? I would pay a healthy wad of cash to have that capability. Nos

#2 aaver

aaver

Prolific

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Anders Averö
  • Gothenburg, Sweden (GMT+01:00)
  • Windows
  • Contests Won:*

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:55 PM

Back in the mid 90's (1890's...I'm very old) I used to used to model with RayDS and it had a great feature for positioning models relative to each other. You could actually move models to butt up against each other as the program would sense their surfaces touching. So putting a glass on a table was simply a matter of dragging it to the surface until the glass stopped moving.

Is this possible to acheive in A:M or is there a technical challenge that won't allow it?[...]

Drop your glass model over your table model in the choreography window (from the top view)

#3 ddustin

ddustin

none

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts
  • David James Dustin
  • Adairsville, GA
  • Windows

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:30 AM

I have never been able to get something like this to work either, and end up key framing vehicles to keep the wheels in contact with the road. Paths are OK but the path is rarely perfect enough to make the wheels appear in the correct vertical orientation. Using a spline as a path does not work reliably enough (after a couple of chor mods, that contraint to the spline gets broken and you need to redo it. At least that is the way it was in V11 when we stopped using it. David
tagline error

#4 yoda64

yoda64

Prolific

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Steffen Gross
  • Goeppingen,Germany
  • Windows
  • Programmer:Yes

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:58 AM

NewtonPhysics can do this example
and yes a objecttype vehicle for the newton plugin is also on my todo list .
But I'm not sure how to implement the movement . In the way demonstratet in the example (model assigned to a path , then baked) or with forces (forward,brake and turning left,right).

Kind Regards
Steffen

http://www.sgross.com/plugins/

#5 Nosferatu

Nosferatu

Craftsman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:31 PM

[/quote]
Drop your glass model over your table model in the choreography window (from the top view)
[/quote]

That works great for the kind of scenario you're describing, but it won't work for moving a vehicle along an irregular surface or for lateral positioning.

[quote name='yoda64' post='184296' date='Jul 5 2006, 02:58 PM']
NewtonPhysics can do this example
and yes a objecttype vehicle for the newton plugin is also on my todo list .
But I'm not sure how to implement the movement . In the way demonstratet in the example (model assigned to a path , then baked) or with forces (forward,brake and turning left,right).
[/quote]

Steffen,

Is it possible to create a plugin that simply detects two surfaces touching thereby preventing one object from intersecting another? In other words, simply enabling the animator to drag one object against another in real time within the chor (the purpose would simply be for positioning...no dynamic calculations necessary).

I'll send you a blank check if you can do it! David, do you have a spare blank check?

Nos

#6 itsjustme

itsjustme

David Simmons......me.

• Hash Fellow
  • 5474 posts
  • David Simmons
  • current
  • Windows

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:47 PM

Is it possible to create a plugin that simply detects two surfaces touching thereby preventing one object from intersecting another? In other words, simply enabling the animator to drag one object against another in real time within the chor (the purpose would simply be for positioning...no dynamic calculations necessary).

Cloth does it, but I don't know how you would set it up to do what you're after...it may or may not work for your problem.

#7 ddustin

ddustin

none

• 2313 posts
  • David James Dustin
  • Adairsville, GA
  • Windows

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:12 PM

Surface constraint will work, kind of... My vehicles rarely stay on the road, and I usually make the road its own model, so when the vehicle leaves the road, so does the constraint. I would like to just keep the wheels in contact with surfaces. It would save me a lot of time. David
tagline error

#8 Nosferatu

Nosferatu

Craftsman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:41 PM

Cloth does it, but I don't know how you would set it up to do what you're after...it may or may not work for your problem.

Yes, that' the idea I'm after, just a simple sensing of surfaces touching. It would be so much easier to animate vehicles on an irregular road, and there would be countless other uses. It's nice to be able to drag an object around in the chor and judge its position by sensing its collisions with other objects.

#9 KenH

KenH

Blind Lord of all he sees.

• Film
  • 13769 posts
  • Ken Heslip
  • Dublin,Ireland
  • Windows
  • Contests Won:***(mascot)

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:31 AM

Well, if it's a flat road/table, once you've dropped the object, you can drag it from within the camera and it will stay at the same level. But I understand it's not the same thing. I imagine collision detection like that would use alot of computer resources. Maybe it's possible though.....so get your feature request into AM: Reports. It would be a cool thing to be able to do.
Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models
Get your AM problems fixed at AM:Reports

#10 Chad_Hunt

Chad_Hunt

Craftsman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Chad Hunt
  • Lake Wales, Florida
  • Windows

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:34 AM

if i remember poser 5 or so has this feature and it was a simple turn on or off if you wanted it. I never did notice a drop in performance when I used it. Then again I never used it to extensivly either oh and that was using poly's not patches.........

#11 Nosferatu

Nosferatu

Craftsman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:27 AM

Well, if it's a flat road/table, once you've dropped the object, you can drag it from within the camera and it will stay at the same level.

But I understand it's not the same thing. I imagine collision detection like that would use alot of computer resources. Maybe it's possible though.....so get your feature request into AM: Reports. It would be a cool thing to be able to do.

I used it all the time in my old program back in the late '90's and as I recall there was hardly any performance hit at all. And my PC then must have been well under 400 MHz.

The whole problem is that a placed object will stay at the same level and not adjust to a surface. Currently I'm using a banked track for my vehicles to travel along, and it would be great to place the vehicle, key it, then move it along "X" feet and key it again. Of course I can do that now but I have to be ultra careful that all 4 tires don't sink below the track surface. Imagine how workflow would be improved if I could just slide my vehicle to the track, inspect the tires for "flushness", make appropriate rotational adjustments, and on it goes.

I didn't even consider sending it as a feature request...I thought it would be a job for a plugin. I'll go ahead and send it in as a request.

Nos

#12 gschumsky

gschumsky

Game Maker-upper

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • 1405 posts
  • Greg Schumsky
  • San Diego-ish
  • Macintosh
  • Contests Won:*

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:29 AM

I'm thinking the surface detection thing would work by adding null bones to the bottom of each tire that act as surface sensors (they don't rotate with the tire), so, basically as the car moves along the surface, the tires will move up and down in relation to any bumps or irregularities in the road. Then somehow those nulls or bones could be tied back into the main bone of the vehicle, with some sort of value that allows the tires to go so high or so low before the car physically moves up and down, similar to shocks. And eventually the car levels itself out to where the tires are.
Greg Schumsky

#13 KenH

KenH

Blind Lord of all he sees.

• Film
  • 13769 posts
  • Ken Heslip
  • Dublin,Ireland
  • Windows
  • Contests Won:***(mascot)

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:45 AM

Eh, so this feature would automatically know where the shock absorbers in a truck are? :blink: Surely we're just talking the model bone detecting the surface and moving along it.
Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models
Get your AM problems fixed at AM:Reports

#14 ddustin

ddustin

none

• 2313 posts
  • David James Dustin
  • Adairsville, GA
  • Windows

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:47 AM

I'm thinking the surface detection thing would work by adding null bones to the bottom of each tire that act as surface sensors (they don't rotate with the tire), so, basically as the car moves along the surface, the tires will move up and down in relation to any bumps or irregularities in the road. Then somehow those nulls or bones could be tied back into the main bone of the vehicle, with some sort of value that allows the tires to go so high or so low before the car physically moves up and down, similar to shocks. And eventually the car levels itself out to where the tires are.

Oooooooo (hand raises in the air to be called on).

What if we made a carriage of sorts for the vehicle?
The carriage would have 5 nulls:
1 (4 total) for each wheel which would follow the surface
1 for the main body bone, the constraint would lag slightly to show the suspension compressing etc. (this would work for compressing the suspension, but would it work for say cresting a bump?)

I would still have an issue when the vehicle left the road, unless the road and not-road were actually one model.

Nos is right about how time consuming it is to key vehicles just to make sure the tires (or tyres as our European brothers say) stay in contact with the road.

David
tagline error

#15 itsjustme

itsjustme

David Simmons......me.

• Hash Fellow
  • 5474 posts
  • David Simmons
  • current
  • Windows

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:04 PM

Oooooooo (hand raises in the air to be called on).

What if we made a carriage of sorts for the vehicle?
The carriage would have 5 nulls:
1 (4 total) for each wheel which would follow the surface
1 for the main body bone, the constraint would lag slightly to show the suspension compressing etc. (this would work for compressing the suspension, but would it work for say cresting a bump?)

I would still have an issue when the vehicle left the road, unless the road and not-road were actually one model.

Nos is right about how time consuming it is to key vehicles just to make sure the tires (or tyres as our European brothers say) stay in contact with the road.

David

It sounds like David's solution would do the job. As far as when the wheels leave the road, why not set it up like an IK leg? It seems to me that would work great. I don't have time at the moment, but, I'll see if I can illustrate it sometime late tonight with an example.

#16 itsjustme

itsjustme

David Simmons......me.

• Hash Fellow
  • 5474 posts
  • David Simmons
  • current
  • Windows

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:55 AM

Okay, I have put up a very simple example of how a leg IK setup can be used in a car's suspension in this thread. I hope it is helpful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users