Hash, Inc. Forums

Adobe Fuse (Character creation/modification)

Rodney

• Admin

This may be of interest to those who need more realistic characters... of a variety of body types.

It was previously reported that Adobe had acquired Maximo and the latest news shows plans moving ahead to provide Fuse software with Adobe CC.

Fuse is a bipedal set of tools used with Maximo (and other software) used to create characters.

It's similar in many ways to MakeHuman and other software.

For geometry the characters can be exported as OBJ.

For animation the preferred format is FBX.

In something that reminds me much of Hash Inc's earlier ground work with segmented models, the highlights of Fuse are the quick modification of modular characters (those provided or those you supply via import) to create characters of almost any type (bipedal being the focus).

Fuse also leverages Substance's API to apply procedural textures to clothing which is easily customizable as well.

How can these characters best be used with A:M remains to be seen but there are some very interesting approaches being used.

Fuse (preview) comes with Adobe CC subscription and as far as I can tell will remain part of Adobe CC offer.

Joe McPeak of Truebones has a video where he explores Fuse's workflow (I'll see if I can find a link).
Here's another from Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/features.html?trackingid=226KD1P6&mv=email#fuse-cc-whats-new

Of particular interest is Fuses use of UV layout to control customization of characters and layering of images/maps to drive the topology of meshes to include removal of unnecessary geometry under clothing. In A:M the latter might is fairly equivalent to setting geometry underneath clothing to transparent and hiding it so that extraneous calculations need not be performed.