Hash, Inc. Forums

Stolen Smells

martin

• Admin

I can think of a few projects with great potential that used that same basic flat shaded style. (I briefly looked for a link but didn't find any)

None were ever taken to a state of completion.

I'll guess projects in that style render very quickly!

Grand High Pooh Bah-

Love this approach to 3D animation!

Disney did a wonderful take on this style with their 2012 Oscar short "Paperman".

BTW- the story of paying with "smells" with the "sound" of money goes back to various folktales.

Mullah Nasruddin (who Richard Williams loves) tells this one:

The Smell of Soup and the Sound of Money

One day a poor and hungry visitor took a piece of bread from his pocket and hold it over a hot cauldron food at a open restaurant window. The dry bread became softer and he began to eat it but the restaurant keeper stopped him for fee of the food steam. The poor visitor had no money and they decided to go to judge.

Our Hodja was the judge of the town and listened carefully both men. Hodja took some golden coins from his purse and show them to the restaurant keeper.
– Come here, please! said to him.
When he came to receive coins, Hodja jingled the coins in the palm of his hands to the man’s ear.
– Now the fee was paid, said Hodja.
– What is that all about? the restaurant keeper wondered and asked.
– Justice! Hodja replied, the sound of money is a fair compensation for the smell of the food.

That's All Folks!!

Tom C.

That's a great fable.

I'm interested in the "Archer" style of animation because it goes fast. "SouthPark" too. The idea is to illustrate great scripts that would never get read otherwise. Also, having done a 3-year 3D movie project, a 6-month project sounds about right. Anybody done anything like "Archer"?

That's a great fable.

I'm interested in the "Archer" style of animation because it goes fast. "SouthPark" too. The idea is to illustrate great scripts that would never get read otherwise. Also, having done a 3-year 3D movie project, a 6-month project sounds about right. Anybody done anything like "Archer"?

I've been toying with the idea of doing my "Papa Bear" shorts in this style. I'm partial to the early Disney look and feel, which ultimately for me would be as near to nirvana as I could get.

• Admin
Anybody done anything like "Archer"?

Ernest's 'Subject 99' is along those lines (although a more excellent adventure than 'Archer' by a long shot).

Sadly, the links to Ernest's website and the episodes of 'Subject 99' are long gone.

Perhaps he can point us to a good location to watch the episodes.

• Admin

'Sci Fi High School' by Courtney Bell (known as Paradymx here in the forum) was another (mostly) flat shaded project that had fun characters and great potential.
It also had going for it an anime style.

http://www.scifihighanimation.webs.com/

The basic premise reminds me of another flat shaded project that you may recall from way way back in Hash time, 'Nosferatu' which was (I believe) by Tony Lower-Basch (also of the Dojo Project fame**).
He recompiled the individual weekly episodes together into two larger episodes. Great stuff!

Download the episodes here:

http://www.museoffire.com/Nosferatu/index.html

Neither of these are/were as polished as 'Stolen Smells' but they were headed in that direction.

**Precursor to 2001 rig, etc. etc.

Some time ago I had won at an animation art auction a backdrop painting used in a HB cartoon (which one I have no idea), and I thought it would be a good backdrop for Papa Bear. So I did a couple of renders with version one of the model both in 3D and 2D. Below is a quick example of the outcome. While at the time the consensus was that my shorts should be done in 3D, I'm still partial to the 2D version. It seems to resonate more with me.

panorama_a1-500x193.jpg The backdrop image

test0.png Papa Bear in 3D

test-toon0.png Papa Bear in 2D

• ____ 1

I like that cell shaded look for Papa Bear!

When I was working on the first TAR short, I really wrestled with the "look". The more you try and add all of the bells and whistles, the more that it starts to have that homogenized look like every other CG animation. I wrote a post about it here: https://zandoriastudios.com/2014/03/18/stylizing-the-look/

I've been playing around lately with a 2D app and it has bones, constraints and "influence," etc. It is much more like 3D animation than traditional 2D. It even has reusable "actions."

I remember seeing a break-out image of all the parts and pieces of the Archer character. It struck me as being similar to paper dolls with joints. They create new wardrobe and find ways to re-use items as much as possible. (ie an outfit designed for one of the main characters would be put on a background character in another episode.) They create their sets in 3D and then paint over the single render image to make it look like painted backgrounds, which seems like a smart solution to me. A lot of those Hanna-Barbera backgrounds made heavy use of sponges. Applying a similar texture to a simple, flat-shaded render could go a long way towards copying the look.

xhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwzVjsu9XvM

This is the first animation series I remember watching as a young kid, about 4-5. I've since learned that, apparently, its the only animation to go out live on the day of broadcast (?) I have long thought of doing something using that process but with cg. (South Park used a similar approach, cg cutout ? ). Its like an animated animatic, if thats not an OTT description.

Slightly different style but, this is another UK series. With a hand rendered look. I think there were only 13 made but they have been on summer holidays repeat for the past 40 years.

xhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqpHnrm5dik

I Should declare a vested interest in non photo real render styles. Its a big motivation behind a lot of my stuff.

regards

simon

Back-in-the-day, Dusan was trying to get A:M to do what I'm talking about. He said he even used it that way but that was around 2001 and I was trying to keep the Japanese onboard, and had no time for expanded capabilities. (We lost the Japanese because the Croucher brothers worked almost exclusively for Avalanche.)

p.s. Here's Duscan's masterpiece: