Hash, Inc. Forums

OBJ sequence exporter from choreography

John Bigboote

Hello all-

When I activate the obj sequence exporter from the choreography(rt-click chor, Plugins, OBJ ...), am I supposed to get all of the models and their actions in that choreography contained within 1 sequence of obj files?

I know there are 3 options... all in one...single models... and single models in one obj. None of them seem to give me what I expect, which is the same models in the same relationship to each other and doing the same actions as I animated together in the choreography. I'm thinking it is meant to be a 'one model/sequence at a time' exporter as opposed to the entire choreography (minus lights, cameras of course)

Anyone else happen across this and know the low-down? I can post a project if needed.

TEMP.jpg

If you just want one model exported , could you delete everything else in the chor beforehand? And repeat that for every object in the chor you do want.

I think that's what I'll end-up having to do... would SUCK if I populate a choreography with a (f'rinstance) gumball machine with 100 dynamic gumballs falling out... would LOVE to have those in 1 file sequence. It should work that way. If it was just for one file, then why is the exporter up on the CHOR export tab and not down in the individual models export tabs...?

• Hash Fellow

I just did a quick test with two simple models animated in the chor...

- "all in one" gets me corrupted shapes in the numbered OBJs

- "single models" creates a separate numbered series of OBJs for each model and they appear to move as animated from one OBJ to the next

- "single models in one obj" creates one numbered series of the chor with all shapes in it but they don't appear to move as animated. They all stay at their initial position.

I just did a quick test with two simple models animated in the chor...

- "single models" creates a separate numbered series of OBJs for each model and they appear to move as animated from one OBJ to the next

Yes--- so the PROBLEM I am having with 'single models'- the one that works... and I don't mind that they are separate obj sequences at all... the problem being that the orientation point of the individual sequences are different from each other... usually centered on the object in it's 1st frame(NOT oriented around the 0,0,0 of the choreography)... so when you go to another app and try to merge the objects back into context with each other as they were in the choreography, you will find you have no registration and no point of reference. I suppose there is a workaround, but I haven't dreamt it up yet.

I just spent a moment on my workaround and here is my 1st idea:

Animate freely your entire choreography. Once done, move all animation keyframes forward 1 frame- so your initial positions are not on frame 0 but now moved to frame 1. On frame zero, move x,y,z positions and rotations to 0,0,0. I think scale will be fine so no need to worry that. Now, run the obj seq exporter, the other application will base all orientation off of frame 1...

Testing now. EDIT- Yes, this method seems to work fine. Still wondering about the multiple (GUMBALLS) approach, don't want an entire seq for each object... can the simulation be baked to an action or something?