Hash, Inc. Forums

Help Wanted: TAR of Zandoria

zandoriastudios

Will,

just looked over your proposed kick starter page. Some thoughts: At the end of the page you list risks etc. Drop them. Don't admit to only working part time on the project. People will only let go of their money if it feels at least minutely certain the project will be completed. By upbeat. Set the tone of barely contained excitement. I narrated video, much like a trailer is essential as well.

Ok: so how do we get paid? I propose to sign an agreement with whoever is willing and able. 50% to Zandoria Studios, the rest split between the contributors. So like you produce a 5 minute story, and it's part of a compilation of 30 minutes you would have a 1/12th financial stake in the profits.

Or let's say you create clever T-Shirts using the characters: you pay back Zandoria Studios 1/2 of what you make.

Or you rapid-prototype collectibles and sell them , same deal.

Essentially we are co-creators.

Please post your thoughts, suggestions, concerns and level of interest in working with me.

Kickstarter contributors aren't expecting monetary payback. I think what you have on the site is sufficient. As for how to make money, merch certainly..but a dedicated web site with, sadly advertising is a good way as long as you can generate clicks is a thought.

• Admin

Hopefully this isn't too far afield...

I really like the idea of creating a world and inviting others to tell stories in it and the shared assets that can make that world a very interesting place.

I'd be interested in your take on one aspect of the creative aspect in derivative characters.

Let's say someone like Sergio Argones or Stan Sakai wanted to tell a story or two in the Tar of Zandoria setting.

How would the terms of ownership work there? Obviously, this isn't going to fall into the 50/50 split you mentioned before because they would likely be using already established characters (i.e. Groo and Usagi Yojimbo).

Likewise, I'm curious as to how this works with other significant characters that might start out as bit players but develop a following and become major characters themselves. (It will happen. Bet on it.)

I've got a few thoughts in this area but I'm more interested in yours ideas.

I do think that folks might like to avoid any legal issues similar to those that arose back in the days where Lee/Kirby/Ditko and other created a common space for superheroes to live.

I guess my question is this: Where does the 50/50 split come into play? Is that specifically for characters that you have created that others would use to create continuing adventures?

You may have already explained this and I missed it.

Good luck on your Kickstarter!

(My suggestion would be to point the potential supporters at some of your other high quality work... the balrog for instance. Perhaps you could also mention the other high profile projects you've been involved in.)

Edit: Images like this one will go a long way.

bydtl.jpg

I agree here with Rodney, we need to see more examples of your work during the video. Also shots of you working at something on the computer or doing concept sketches stuff like that.

Maybe start the video with that animated shot you did of Tar walking towards camera in the desert and have the Tar title zoom in from center to fill the shot.

Then cut to you introducing yourself.

No offense here but I'm not sure we need to see you all the time in the video. During the middle bit is where I would want to see images and animations that tie in with what you're saying in the voice-over.

Then cut back to you for your final bit to camera at the end.

Just my two cents worth… ;)

Thanks for the feedback everybody

Rodney: I don't know if the 50/50 idea is important now--That was when I was thinking about how to create this without funding, just collaboration.... Obviously I will have to figure out the terms of an open-source license before I release everything, but that will be after the series has ended.

The video was intimidating--but the kickstarter people recommend doing one. I was originally just going to voiceover a montage. But I decided to just talk into the camera and keep it brief. I do talk about other projects that I've done in the bio page, with links to portfolio and blog so if someone is not familiar with who I am, I think they will be able to get an idea.

Thanks for the feedback everybody

Rodney: I don't know if the 50/50 idea is important now--That was when I was thinking about how to create this without funding, just collaboration.... Obviously I will have to figure out the terms of an open-source license before I release everything, but that will be after the series has ended.

The video was intimidating--but the kickstarter people recommend doing one. I was originally just going to voiceover a montage. But I decided to just talk into the camera and keep it brief. I do talk about other projects that I've done in the bio page, with links to portfolio and blog so if someone is not familiar with who I am, I think they will be able to get an idea.

I think the video was great. I liked Rodney's suggestion of putting in the shot of tar walking through the dessert. I think that would have been a great ending to the video. I know I will be donating.