Hash, Inc. Forums

Superlate Model Race Car

I have been looking for a post on making Threads and Springs had no luck so far.

Can somebody please help me out with this.

If it's non-related to your racecar frame then make a new post asking for help- and be really specific about what you are looking to do.

• Hash Fellow
What I need Spring and Thread for..its called Coilover suspension its a Shock with spring around it with threaded adjuster

here is image.

thank you

As far as the threads... they look so fine on that picture that you could probably just lathe ridges on a cylinder and not worry about them actually being a spiral.

If you would like, you are welcome to use this model of a disk brake and caliper for your car. Not sure if it's the right style or not.

I know the rim is wrong, but the rotor is cross drilled and slotted and the caliper is a four piston type. The caliper DOES use a few Boolean Cutters to make the modeling easier on me.

Also embedded in the model are the materials, including a rotor "glow" material for when the rotor gets hot during the race. :D

Wheel_Assembly_V16.mdl

WheelAssemblyRender.png

Cheers!

If you would like, you are welcome to use this model of a disk brake and caliper for your car. Not sure if it's the right style or not.

I know the rim is wrong, but the rotor is cross drilled and slotted and the caliper is a four piston type. The caliper DOES use a few Boolean Cutters to make the modeling easier on me.

Also embedded in the model are the materials, including a rotor "glow" material for when the rotor gets hot during the race. :D

Wheel_Assembly_V16.mdl

WheelAssemblyRender.png

Cheers!

yes i can use the Caliper and Rotor Same Style thank you very much

Question? Can you Explaine Boollean Cutters..dont have clue Thanks again

Wide Five Rim & Hub

just a small update on work its going slow lol..

The tire is not the one it looks like a Spare for your street car was just a throw on.

Bit more work and I will be putting caliper on From MMZ_TimeLord

Wide_Five.jpg

First that Wheel Assembly given to me by Jody wow Great work.

1 Material did not work for caliper Metal Grey I have Grey Metal is it same

did bit more work here is What back of car looks like put together.

I still need to learn how to make materials

Car_together.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I Started to make a 1981 Camaro body I am stumped Brain block trying to make Aftermarket Front nose. These are the only Reference.pic I can get

is there any suggestion's How I should start. here is what I have got done for body and reference pic I have

the last car is the one I am Trying to Replicate.I grew up at the race Track .I always Like the look of this 1981 Camaro Style

frame movie0.jpg

1981 Camaro Nose 1.jpg

1981 Camaro Nose Lower.jpg

1981 Camaro Nose Top.jpg

13217303_1011573002258818_7552917133116857884_o.jpg

13177271_1011572918925493_6449051139229062768_n.jpg

13177271_1011572918925493_6449051139229062768_n.jpg

13151586_1011572732258845_6803079210351347594_n (1).jpg

• Hash Fellow

My broad-level suggestion is to do the component parts first.

The lights and their immediate housings, the grills and their immediate frames...

Place them in space relative to each other and then start stitching their edges together. I think this will be easier than trying to make the general shape and trying to add details to it.

If you get stuck come back and ask some more!

Put some Meats under it to see how it Looks.

Thank you for your help .it Removed my Brain block.

still working on it. This project has taken me a few years but I will not give up

I am just a hobbyist every thing I have Learned is because of Animation master Forum the people here are great

THANKS ALL

1981 Camaro late model put some ruber under it0.jpg

• ____ 1

• Admin
Meats? :unsure:

I was scratching my head a bit there too until I put on my racing cap.

I think he means 'tires'. :)

That's a great looking ride Maniac.

Added: Ken! That thread decal works quite well with displacement. Very nice.

Threads 000.png

Just a update on work done

Thanks for the Threads will come in handy I still need to learn how to make that stuff I have a lot of beadroll look on tin to do instead of modeling all that

Addiction to Modeling keeps getting in the way LOL

1981 Camaro late model paint turn Rivits0.jpg

any suggestions on how I can do this This light weight steering wheel ,All those holes scare me lol Stuck

small up date on work hydro was flicking on and off so I put lantern on hood.

light weight black steering wheel.jpg

1981 Camaro late model paint turn Rivits front0.jpg

• Admin

Depending on the intended usage of the final model I would either:

1) Use cylinders to cut the holes/shapes out of the wheel (via boolean cutters).

I believe this would be my preferred method especially since the wheel itself is hollow.

or

2) Model one section with holes (filling in the five point patches) and then copy/flip/attach. Then curve it into shape

or

3) Model the basic framework with required number of splines/CPs in place and then connect the five pointers to make the holes

In all the above cases (with perhaps the exception of (1) I would model a section (one section of the three in the middle and 1 of the four on the outer) and then drag/drop that section multiple times into the Chor where they could be reoriented and exported as a more fully complete model. Then import and do final tweaks and placement

It appears to me that with copy/flip/attach you might be able to get away with actually modeling 10 holes for the primary section of the outer wheel and two perhaps six for the inner spokes. The rest would be created as you C/F/A.

Added: Somewhere, Will Sutton has a video tutorial of creating teeth and gums that demonstrates one approach to modeling such detail.

Edit: If modeling this all the way (i.e. not using boolean cutters) I think I'd place the cylinders that comprise the holes first so that they are in place and have a slight bevel. Then I'd connect them together via five point patches).

• Admin

I did a couple proof of concept trials both modeling everything and modeling with Boolean Cutters in mind.

My tests indicate that some planning of where all the Control Points need to be before connecting everything would work well. (Otherwise the model doesn't maintain smooth curvature).

The Boolean method is quick and easy but has the standard issues associated with those, primarily that success can't be seen until launching the render.

And yes, I stopped modeling the fully modeled test after getting a bit bored creating 5 point patches.

I sense that creating one section of the wheel (with one hole in the section) and then duplicating it as required might be the best way to proceed especially in keeping curvature.

post-1010-0-47981300-1464980107.gif

BooleanMethod.png

5pointers.png

Animation.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

I recommend Booleans for that steering wheel unless it's a "hero" detail that will be examined closely.

The pure splining approach certainly will work but it will be fiddly with lots of five-pointers to turn on.

If you do decide to go for a hero wheel, I'd recommend you extrude the wheel from a 12 pt. circle and the holes from 8 pointers (top image). Five point patches being what they are, you get the smoothest surfaces when you ask them to distort the least. You can certainly embed the 8 point holes into a wheel made from an 8 pt. circle but the surrounding surface may not withstand close scrutiny (bottom image).

holey_torus.jpg

As for the "fiddly" part of building these, you only have to do one section with a hole and then copy, paste and join the sections together.

• Admin

Don't forget that an added level of complexity is that the wheel/tube itself is hollow (even before considering the holes), so two tubes with holes (one inside the other) then connected...

I've added an (ugly!) example of the outer/inner tubes of the wheel. It very obviously has a lot fewer holes than the reference image.

Following Rodger's more meticulous approach would resolve the ugliness. :)

hollow.png

UglyHollowWheel.mdl

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help. I have been busy at work so have done nothing. but I opened project today and this is what I am getting in shaded mode and I can not highlight box with mouse I have restarted computer several times

STRANGE.jpg

here is wire frame mode still can not use high light box have to pick 1 minuplater at a time

sorry all I found my problem some how I turned on or off the show Polygon never had this happen before

nothing wrong.jpg

• Hash Fellow

show polygons what is that for. I never noticed it

I don't think it has great value for us, but it's something the graphic cards can do.

I believe it is showing you how the patches are subdivided in real-time. You can see the polygons change as you do PageUp and PageDown.

This might possibly be useful if you are going to export to a polygon format and want to preview how dense the different subdivision levels are.

If I lathe out a straight three-ring cylinder and view it at the top subdivision level ("adaptive") it has polygons that stretch from one ring to the next. If I displace the center spline ring, those long polygons immediately get subdivided.

polygonmode.PNG

• 3 weeks later...