Photo
- - - - -

AM Compatable Wrinkled Cloth Map Tutorial?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 UNGLAUBLICHUSA

UNGLAUBLICHUSA

Jacob Marley was right, Mankind is our business!

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • MARK DAVIDSON
  • Streamwood, Illinois U.S.A.
  • Windows

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Does anyone have a link to a Photoshop Tut for making wrinkled Cloth Decals/Maps?
MAJOR 2D ARTISTIC INSPIRATIONS: (Not in order) - Josh Middleton, Richard Corben, Juan Gimenez, Travis Charest, John Byrne, Mike Mignola, Alex Ross, Alphonse Mucha, Maxfield Parrish, Paul Calle, John William Waterhouse, Adam Hughes, James Gurney, Steve Hanks, Masamuni Shirow, Frank Miller, Brom, Mark Harrison (2000AD), Hajimi Sorayama,Paul Catling.

#2 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23617 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows
  • Programmer:NO

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Can you show an example what what you are trying to get?

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CST

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#3 UNGLAUBLICHUSA

UNGLAUBLICHUSA

Jacob Marley was right, Mankind is our business!

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • MARK DAVIDSON
  • Streamwood, Illinois U.S.A.
  • Windows

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

I modeled the major folds and need to add seam wrinkles and general warping of the fabric plus enhance the major folds (deepen).

Attached Thumbnails

• 0_Copy_of_Apollo9Crew.jpg
  • Copy_of_Item_2969_1.jpg

MAJOR 2D ARTISTIC INSPIRATIONS: (Not in order) - Josh Middleton, Richard Corben, Juan Gimenez, Travis Charest, John Byrne, Mike Mignola, Alex Ross, Alphonse Mucha, Maxfield Parrish, Paul Calle, John William Waterhouse, Adam Hughes, James Gurney, Steve Hanks, Masamuni Shirow, Frank Miller, Brom, Mark Harrison (2000AD), Hajimi Sorayama,Paul Catling.

#4 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23617 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows
  • Programmer:NO

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

Any finds on this one yet?

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CST

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#5 Walter Baker

Walter Baker

wallzaker

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Walter (Wally) Baker
  • Morganton, NC
  • Macintosh

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

I would start looking here first. Lots of good stuff.

http://library.creat.../adobephotoshop
Occam's razor:"All things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to often be correct" or, more informally "keep it simple."

#6 Wildsided

Wildsided

Ever so slightly mad

• Special Topics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Dan
  • Canada but born and raised in England
  • v18
  • Windows

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

I don't want to speak out of turn coz it looks like everyone else here is way higher on the experience level than I am. But I was just wondering whether you could just do a google search for a wrinkled fabric texture. Open in photoshop, de-saturate it to make it black and white and then set the contrast to accentuate the wrinkles to the depth you want. Then hide everything in the model you don't want wrinkly and make a bump decal. I made my Gwen model some quick wrinkly stockings as an example. wrinkle_stockings0.png If I'm totally missing the point then feel free to ignore me.

#7 thejobe

thejobe

Master Prop maker

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • Jason Hess
  • New jersey
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

i saw this post and though i might be able to help
wrinkles0.jpg
i made this image using a very simple technique that can be done in photo shop in about 45 secs
Attached File  hand_normal_map.tga   1.53MB   62 downloads
this image here was created using 2 filters and 1 plugin (plugin optional)

make sure you create a new file and make it pretty big (1000+ pixels)
then you go to filters>render>Clouds
you will see cloud shapes pop up on the screen
the clouds will be the colors of the 2 colors you have in your toolbar (use black and white makes it easy)
next thing you do is go to Filters>render> cloud differnt
now you will see the image has changed quite a bit
this is where the magic happens.
hold on down CTRL (option on mac) and hit F key (hit it between 20-50 times depending on the level of wrinkle you want)
now you have what looks like a chaotic mess!
now this is where we play with some settings. there are 2 approaches from here, i will go over them both

the normal map way
1. go down to filters and go to Nvidia tools (if you do not have this you can get it from Here! please note that this is Nvidia only)
you can go thru the setting on this screen to play with things but thats a whole lesson in it self. for now just hit OK.
done! you have a normal map, save the file (Targa) and bring it into A:M.
apply the image like any decal then go to image settings in the decal settings and set it for normal map (175% my preference)
and you are done!

Regular way
2. go to image>adjustments>brightness and contrast
from here turn contrast to 60% and use the brightness to get the amount of wrinkle you want
when finished save file (targa)
bring into A:M and apply the decal
go to Decal settings and set the image to bump mapping(35% my preference)
and you are done!

I hoped this helped in some way.
my YouTube channel if your bored
need help with something? maybe i can help! Ask thejobe!
or you can ask for help on the forums here
I am also on Skype as thejobe100 if you want to do a chat session.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users