New Trade Shows Added

Jason Simonds

Rose City Comic Con September 21 - 22, 2014

Reno Comic Con November 21 - 23, 2014

Emerald City Comic Con March 27 - 29, 2015

Rose City Comic Con September 19th - 20th 2015

If you are going to be at any of those shows stop by the booth and say Hi

• 2 weeks later...

I was just there for a few minutes Sunday. I mostly gave my friend one her pass and did one lap and headed home.

We are not getting a booth at Comic Con but we are going next year. I do not know what days but I hope we are going.

There's been much discussion lately about the profitability of conventions for artists and dealers.

Famed Star Wars cover-painter Dave Dorman's wife posted this blog. She points to a shift in culture that makes it more about the fans than the creators. She says that the cost of San Diego vs sales left them $1K in the hole and Mile High Comics complained at the time that they had lost $10K in San Diego. Given the huge costs involved in doing San Diego, I've never been able to justify it. Even if I sold every DVD I have, I'd never make up for the dealer cost and all the travel expenses.

All I know is what I've experienced, which is more and more "regular" people attending cons to see famous celebrities. Whereas it used to be that everyone was just as nerdy (if not much nerdier) than you are, now we're on display in a zoo. And after spending hundreds of dollars for VIP tickets, travel and celebrity autographs and photos, they don't have any money left over for the dealers and artists.

I was pretty much factoring on convention sales as the primary way to be able to distribute my own animated projects, but I think that ship has sailed. I'm doing a very small show in November (which has a Mad Magazine theme, appropriately), but it's a tiny one in a hotel with only comic book people and a $7 per person ticket. The biggest named guest is Mad artist Tom Richmond, who is probably completely unknown to 99% of the population.

It's in Dallas and an artist table is under $50, so it's reasonable that I'll at least break even.

I want to do more parody movies, but with a population that expects everything to be available on the web (and everything on the web should be free), I just don't know of a way that I could ever make it work.

Mark,

You are so correct man. Even the large features are more and more costly to make. AND they are flopping right and left without the brainwashing marketing that only a select few studios can pull off. A massive marketing campaign convinces the public that everybody already loves their show. The hit song is a hit out of nowhere. The toys are on the shelf. The picture is on your kids fast food meal. And what da ya know......It must be the most wonderful film ever. I mean.....we're listening to one of the hit songs on the radio on the way back home from seeing it on the release day. Whether the movie stunk or not.......It's a hit already.

The public is so saturated with entertainment(free) until the nuts 'N' bolts of the production is desperate for cheap labor.

Thus, the artists are in trouble and small studios are faced with a public that says, "You mean you expect me to pay for watching your show???"

I agree, David!

My point is that big comic book conventions would much rather book somebody who played the 5th lead in a Hunger Games movie than somebody who has actually contributed to the art form of comics because it draws in a larger fan base and means more money for them. But these people aren't likely to be comic book fans or trekkies.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...