Hash, Inc. Forums

retopolgy and 3dcoat

hello, I work on a simple model is an ax with skulls. For skulls, I created a model voxel. Then I use the retopo in AM. It's very easy to use. And finally, 3DCoat serve me to create textures. it is a true Photoshop for 3D objects.

the ax is modeled using rotoscope.

in 3DCoat, one can also create rotoscope if not love working with retopo. it is also very useful and simple.

Here are the drawings.

in 3DCoat, one can also create rotoscope if not love working with retopo. it is also very useful and simple.

hashefond.jpg

Did you know you can retopo the model in 3d Coat and export quad obj into AM with the textures. I have also used 3d Coat to export quad based sculptures into MOI 3d that I then convert to nurbs. I wish it had real world measurements though, very hard to do anything precise.

yes, I know. we can import the objects like prop.and it is very easy. but my goal is to create splines objects and to texture them in 3dcoat. And for those which do not have 3dcoat, we can use blender to sculpt, that works too.

we can use 3dcoat to create objects and to work with the retopo of AM; Or to use 3dcoat to create rotoscope and décals.

That's what I was saying. I had to make a warthog skull for some castings. I sculpted them in 3dc and did a quad only retopo in 3dc. Exported the obj out and was able to convert the obj file into nurbs.

You can import obj files into am in the modeler which converts them into patches.

3dc does have an easier to use retopo than AM has where you can sketch the paths and create the quads rather than clicking around a surface.

You can use that but still a real patch structure is better for A:M than a 4 vertex poly that gets imported. (you will have to rework some stuff on complex models and especially for well layouted animateable complex models, but it is your decision. Both can work well. Do whatever you think is the best for ur workflow.

Amateur has the same qualities as pro. you just do texture 2048 * 2048. this is usually the size of my textures. there is the possibility to pass after pro if the appropriate software. to begin with, that's fine.

there are 4 possibility of using 3DCoat for AM.
to make rotoscopes and decals and textures as tiles.µ
use 3dcoat to paint an object from AM.
import a retopo 3DCoat object and turn it into splines. But the object must be modified a little in AM. because the import is not perfect. (this is the fastest and easiest.)
Or, use a sculpted object and make retopology in AM. But there are crash.
I can make a video to show the possibilities Friday.

And yet ANOTHER question! I see one of 3D Coats powerfull features is its RETOPO feature... why wouldn't you retopo in 3D coat instead of A:M then? Keeping to 4 and 5 sided poly's as you go...

I wanted to work with the retopo AM but crashes are a problem. for the skull, AM is stopped 20 times. it was to make a test.

• Admin
3DCoat Amateur

I had to check their site just to confirm that was a real offering...

The use of the title 'amateur' makes that one of the strangest marketing names I've seen in 3D programs.

I suppose it might be good for more than a few purchases of the pro version as folks consider whether they prefer to be a professional or an amateur.

I note the amateur version does not allow use for commercial purposes.

3DCoat Amateur

I had to check their site just to confirm that was a real offering...

The use of the title 'amateur' makes that one of the strangest marketing names I've seen in 3D programs.

I suppose it might be good for more than a few purchases of the pro version as folks consider whether they prefer to be a professional or an amateur.

I note the amateur version does not allow use for commercial purposes.

Just another name for "Personal Edition" or something like that.

See you

*Fuchur*

I also think that the name makes you want to buy it. but the only restrictions are the maximum texture 2048 * 2048 and 7 layers. it is entirely possible to do a project with and use textures.

Here is the complete skull in gold. I added some details in voxels and I exported textures in AM.

craneam.JPG

That looks really good Ludo_Si.

Makes me more interested in 3D Coat than ZBrush. If more streamlines are pursued by A:M, this will be a way to add more

to what already exists in A:M without having to build new features. 3D Coat's UV capability is supposed to be Top Notch.

UV's are a SERIOUS blidspot in my 3D abilities... I have been 'spoiled' by the ease of A:M decals. I really need to be able to get a hold on this concept as I am doing more and more A:M to Element3D or C4D workflows... didn't I see another feature in 3DCoat where you could quickly build-up a base shape thru some sort of 'blobbies' (nurbs?) that you could then use as a base to start sculping on?

Yes- quite sure it can... my dilemma is- because I come from the A:M world, I have a very limited knowledge or ability at getting models in and out of A:M (primarily out) with textures intact... see- I don't even know if I expressing myself correctly...

I haven't checked for quite a while, but A:M does it in a very easy and intuitiv way which I could not find elsewhere. Most projected textures I saw where... well projected, not fixed on the surface. So moving the object meant to have to reposition it, you could not move CPs around and morph the texture too and/or adding several "stamps" above each other did not work or was much more complex to do than in A:M.

But I am sure others can do that too... it just was not that easy to do and most tutorials concentrated on UV sets/unwrapping itself.

Have tested it with 3ds and XSI... coming from A:M those were VERY complex without much of a benefit for many things.

Of cause this is subjective, but any other 3d artist I have shown A:M in such situations was amazed on how easy it was to do that stuff.

Modelling itself was something people did not get (when coming from heavily box modelling based software), but all other aspects they found very easy and intuitive...

See you

*Fuchur*