Hash, Inc. Forums

Adding a background image

rekh

Hello,

I recently returned to AM. I'm working my way through TAOAM. I am also just digging around and pressing buttons and just getting to know the program.

Question -

How do I add a background image? I'd like to create charcaters, etc. but also use backgrounds; like cityscapes, or the inside of rooms, or environments created in other programs, and render my charcaters on or ontop of the background.

Thanks!

• Hash Fellow

It will be easy!

You can RMB in the camera view, choose New>Rotoscope and choose and navigate to an image in the file dialog that comes up.

You can also drag an image that you have already imported to your Images Folder to the camera view to make it a "Rotoscope"

Welcome back to A:M!

It will be easy!

You can RMB in the camera view, choose New>Rotoscope and choose and navigate to an image in the file dialog that comes up.

You can also drag an image that you have already imported to your Images Folder to the camera view to make it a "Rotoscope"

Welcome back to A:M!

Thanks, robocat2075!

... at work, but can't wait to get home and try it out. And thanks for the welcome back.

Oh ... I know myself too well. What is RMB? I know, goofy question...

• 5 months later...
Exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks, robcat2075.

That leads me to a question: I've got a still camera scene with a nice roto--looks good, but what about when you have to move the camera? I know the answer's probably 'no' but is there a way to code a moving roto based on camera angle? Like a panorama picture?

Do most here use a comination of physical set "backdrops" and compositing? Is there a good non-expensive compositing program out there?

Thanks,

Rich

• Hash Fellow
That leads me to a question: I've got a still camera scene with a nice roto--looks good, but what about when you have to move the camera? I know the answer's probably 'no' but is there a way to code a moving roto based on camera angle? Like a panorama picture?

A still panorama, that is many times wider than it is tall? Apply it to a similarly proportioned flat or arc shaped model and put that as a backdrop in your scene.

If it is a moving camera video, there is software that can track the video and convert that into matching camera movement. There is at least one that can work with A:M. Is it "Syntheyes"? I forget the name but people have shown work with it here.

Do most here use a comination of physical set "backdrops" and compositing?

Backdrops work well in A:M if planned properly. A:M images with alpha channels work well in compositing apps

Is there a good non-expensive compositing program out there?

Most video editing apps will do some compositing. A:M can do some compositing in the chor. A:M can also do more advanced compositing in "composite Projects". Look for the tech talk on "A:M Composite" for some intro on that.