Hash, Inc. Forums

quick bone question

dailan1

I'm having issues with a rig i put on a character.... specifically (believe i mirrored bone plugin after using the 2001 rig as a base) my right forearm can rotate in all three axies... however my left forearm can only rotate in the y-axis (or the green circle). I can not figure out how to fix this and really don't want to have to start from scratch. Can anyone give me a hint or clue??? Thanks for your time

• Hash Fellow

Do you mean that other rings are not visible?

First I'll note that it is typical in rigs for the forearm to be set to rotate on only one axis, because... elbows only rotate on one axis.

One way to control this is in the bone's properties under Manipulator Options.

"Manipulation" can be set to "Translate only" or "Rotate only" and "Limit Manipulators" lets you make the controller for each axis unavailable.

BoneProps.JPG

Thanks for your help! All the rings are visible and even display the number of degrees when I try to move them, the bone just doesn't go anywhere. I've checked the properties and compared them to the other forearm and they are they are set to the same values. Could it have something to do with a smart skin or a constraint?

• Hash Fellow

Could it have something to do with a smart skin or a constraint?

A constraint is a possibility also. If you wanted to send me the character in a PM i could look at it.

so just a quick update... i opened the 2001 rig without a model and created a new action... the right forearm on the rig can free rotate, however the left cannot... so either my library is corrupted or the there's a glitch in the rig. i opened some of the other models and decided to just use fan bones and smart skin to prevent the wrist from deforming