Hash, Inc. Forums

Weird annoyance while aiming lights

I'm trying to simulate the diffuse light from the illuminated sign on the top of my Checker cab with an array of small kliegs. I've worked out a chart of all the aiming angles I need. As I import each light instance as an action object they come in with Rotate X, Y & Z = 0 then I type in my desired angles and the lights snap to those values. But if I change my mind and type in one new value, like Rotate Y, all three rotate values automatically reset to new values. They're obviously not random because the orientation of the light doesn't move so it's like there's a function running in the background that automatically re-calculates the datum for each axis. It's a minor annoyance but I'd be interested to know what's going on...is it related to that mysterious "Euler Order" property?

taxi_sign_glow.jpg

• Hash Fellow

I haven't tried it, but possibly this is a result of the conversion from Euler input to Quad keyframes. You might try converting the lights to Euler rotation first.

alternate suggestion... if you don't need to actually shadow any object near the light on the roof, how about one light above with a mask to simulate the pattern you want.

Keeping randomly changing X,Y,Z rotations; it doesn't do it all the time which is what makes it so strange. I'm pretty sure it has something with the Euler angles max values of +/- 180. It only recalculates them if you input an angle that would require either of the other angles to exceed abs(180). It happens, now and then, regardless which of the three available "Euler Orders" options you choose for the lights bone. Please don't waste too much time on this, as I said, it's a minor annoyance.