Photo

Can I use Poser clothing models in Hash AM?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jfrasier

jfrasier

New User

• A:M User
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Jeremy Frasier
  • Windows

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:18 PM

Hey everyone, I was wondering if I could use the clothing packages from sites like Daz 3D or Poser models and apply them to a character made in AM? The reason I ask is I am just starting with AM, and I need to make a animation and really need some clothes 8/ I can model the scene, and the bar tables and stuff, but I am still learning how to model and apply clothes. Hopefully the DVDs I just ordered will fill me in, but until then I still have to get the bills paid. If anyone has a decent library of mens and womens clothing, maybe you could get in touch with me about purchasing some? Thanks for any input JF

#2 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23988 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows
  • Programmer:NO

Posted 17 June 2006 - 03:31 PM

I was wondering if I could use the clothing packages from sites like Daz 3D or Poser models and apply them to a character made in AM?

Short answer... Poser things and A:M things are pretty much incompatible. They just aren't the same sort of data.

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CDT (1700 GMT)

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#3 KenH

KenH

Blind Lord of all he sees.

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13769 posts
  • Ken Heslip
  • Dublin,Ireland
  • Windows
  • Contests Won:***(mascot)

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:21 PM

If you can make a character, cloth should be easy enough for you. Take a look at the characters on the cd for different ways to do cloth. Of course, now there's partical cloth for you to take advantage of.
Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models
Get your AM problems fixed at AM:Reports

#4 brainmuffin

brainmuffin

Fear Ye Not The Null & Bones!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Lazlo Luongo
  • Orbiting the star Sol @ 90 mi/sec.
  • Windows

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:17 PM

There still really isn't any equivalent to conforming clothing in A:M. But the new SimCloth works really well! The best plan I can come up with is modeling the figure, setting it up with TSM2, and saving it in the stage just before running the rigger. That way, you can model clothing on them, and set it up and run the rigger and you have clothing. So, the downside is, you won't be able to quickly create realistic characters from premade stuff like you could with poser. But the upside is, you have far more powerful animation tools at your disposal now. (Take a look at the Hunter stuff on A:M Films, you couldn't do anything like that in poser!)

"Reasonable men adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable men adapt the world to themselves. That's why all progress depends on unreasonable men." - George Bernard Shaw

If you give a man fire he'll be warm for a day. If you light a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#5 jfrasier

jfrasier

New User

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Jeremy Frasier
  • Windows

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:19 AM

(Take look at the Hunter stuff on A:M Films, you couldn't do anything like that in poser!)

Yeah I have seen the hunter animations since when I first was checking out AM. It is really impressive. Especially the gravity and dynamics or the aaaahh.....extremities motion hehe. I have always been interested in mixing the animation with real video so the motion tracking package I saw for this was impressive. I have done some motion work in After Effects, and this looks like a better solution.

Gonna work on the modeling today. See if I can get some things together. I was a little peeved this morning though, after waiting all night for rendering and I guess the program had an error and shut down. It has done it a couple of times, but not to where it is a problem (well except for last night)...

#6 jfrasier

jfrasier

New User

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Jeremy Frasier
  • Windows

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:08 PM

What about importing in from 3DS? If you can import models from there ( ie: using that 3DS export plugin) you could export your character out of Poser as a 3DS, of course no bones or anything, then kick it out of 3DS and import into AM to assign the bones? I am not sure, but can't you import the .mdl extension into 3DS? I know you can for the .obj but not sure about the .mdl. Is Hash planning to add to their export options? So that you can work between AM and the 3DS, Maya or other packages? Or is the extension proprietary?

#7 brainmuffin

brainmuffin

Fear Ye Not The Null & Bones!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Lazlo Luongo
  • Orbiting the star Sol @ 90 mi/sec.
  • Windows

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:21 PM

See, that's the problem. While A:M can import polygonal models, the process of converting them to splines and getting them set up to be rigged is more time consuming and difficult than modeling them yourself from scratch. You won't get any morph targets to import either, so even if you could import the models and rig them, the only thing you'd skip is the modeling...

"Reasonable men adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable men adapt the world to themselves. That's why all progress depends on unreasonable men." - George Bernard Shaw

If you give a man fire he'll be warm for a day. If you light a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#8 PopaR

PopaR

New User

• *A:M User*
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Windows

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

The meshes used by poser are obj, just browse through the meshes folders and import. You will not have any of the features, but yo'd loose that anyways. If the mesh has a template you can use that to resurface the model. I was considering using a pose slider to allow me to change the texture maps. You do have to watch out for the huge amount of patches that may be imported, which can slow you down until you trim most of them away.

This is better then running an export from poser, as poser seems to add splines when exporting to obj (or 3ds), not a problem for those two programs but it will throw an error in AM.

Figures are a problem, as most of their figures are just tweaking the sliders or changing the textures, in this case I would export only the part of the model I wanted, like the head, minus eyes and insides of mouth; I'd pull both from my morgue (still working on a mouth I can live with)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users