Hash, Inc. Forums

Adobe Releases "Project Felix" Beta

largento

http://www.adobe.com/products/project-felix.html

http://www.3dartistonline.com/news/2017/01/adobe-project-felix-partners-with-chaos-group-to-bring-v-ray-to-graphic-designers/

This may be of interest to folks.

I'm playing with it now. Exported an OBJ file of my Pop! model and applied a texture and am rendering.

I appologize if I offend people, Adobe wasn't always bad but their products have become near malware if it wasn't for the eula no one reads. I can't in good concience watch people get roped in and have thier data exploited. Hopefully the new class action suites from the the state of CA will put them in check.

I often see many bock at Autodesk here but though I am not a fan of their software licensing schemes and often cringe when the gobble up competition they don't build in backdoors or exploit their customers for profit.

• Admin

I'm not sure this topic is the right place to have the discussion but I'm certainly game to hear more about the good and bad of current trends in software (especially graphics software).

Perhaps you could start a topic (in Off Topic) and describe what you like and don't like about current trends in software (with the obvious focus on Adobe as an example of what you don't want to see in software).

INNN-teresting! (So is Ken's rant...I never knew!) I wonder what this does to Adobe's relationship with the German MAXXON Corporation... who they are already 'in bed with' by having C4D Lite included in After Effects CC... technically, everything you can do here in Felix you can do with C4D Lite, and much-much more, including animation.

• Admin

I would say that Adobe's primary aim is positioning themselves at the crossroads of 3D stock in a similar way they are with stock imagery, video and the like.

And they don't necessarily have to charge for the stock... if they are the conduit and people pay to access the conduit... that'll pay off.

They aren't the only ones pressing into 3D. Heck, Microsoft is betting big by bringing 3D into their operating system (or as near to 'into' as they can via their pending Creator's update).

The goal is to help designers, their primary market. It's being advertised as a way to do photo-realistic 3D product renders.

I've played a little with it and for the most part, it's a very simple way to get those results without having to know very much about 3D applications.

It comes with a small sample of 3D models, materials and lighting setups (all image based lighting.) More can be found on the Adobe Stock marketplace, many for free. You can only import OBJ files right now, but it's still in Beta and they keep saying "for now" in response to questions about importing other file types.

The real beauty is that you can import an image as a background and with a few button clicks, you've got something that would have taken a lot more effort and knowledge to do traditionally.

The content-aware stuff that Adobe has been implementing comes into play with this. It analyzes the image and looks for a horizon line and tries to set the grid up to match the image. For really complicated images, it doesn't do a very good job, but when it does work, it's great. That's one button clicked. Then you can click a button that matches the lighting to the image and an IBL is created using the background image and applied to whatever model you drop into the scene.

I had this little R2 unit and dropped him into some examples. It was fun to see the whole plane tilt immediately when I set the view to match the dutch angle shot.

The renderer is very slow, but does a good job. I'm no compositor, but the matching the lighting seems to work very well and the image that is generated is a layered Photoshop document with the model and shadows on one layer (with alpha), the background on another and a color layer, so you can switch off the background and just have it on a solid.

testing.png