Hash, Inc. Forums

Demon with squid-like wings

• Hash Fellow

A quick modeling test for something I've been itching to try: the "demon with squid-like wings", one of the many ghastly creatures in Michelangelo's painting "The Torment of St. Anthony"

squidlikewings.JPG

I tell ya, that guy must have been a saint to put up with all those demons chewing on him.

• ____ 2

• Hash Fellow

I'll warn that it won't happen fast, there's a lot that would have to be invented from that one view. :unsure:

I've actually seen this painting in person over at the Kimbell Museum in Ft. Worth. It's rather tiny, only about a foot across.

• Hash Fellow

I'm going to need more shape information than the painting gives me so...

I've been trying to find some creature that has a head similar to that demon and I'm thinking that, minus the triceratops frills, it's basically a rodent because of the side-mounted eyes on the head rather than front-wise-facing eyes like a cat.

RabbitmouthOpen.jpg

My next step was to look at rabbit skulls to see how they are built and... geez, get a load of this :o ... a rabbit with fangs much like the demon.

Rabbit skull tooth pathology.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Michelangelo's painting was actually an art school project and the earliest of only four known easel paintings by him. He based it on a previous engraving of the same subject by Martin Shongauer.

In terms of the depictions of the creatures, both have strengths. In Shongauer's version the demon with squid-like wings has a head that is much more dog-like than Michelangelo's and more anatomically plausible.

SchongauerMichelangeloComp.jpg

• 1 year later...