Journeyman

• A:M User
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Chris Roy
  • Mac/Win

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:12 AM

To the Animation:Master community:

Almost six years ago to the day, I posted a message to the Animation:Master mailing list with the following header:

To: animaster@hash.com
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2001 8:31 PM
Subject: Interest in a DirectX .X export plugin?

What started as a simple request to gauge interest in an A:M exporter turned out to be quite a bit more than I expected. From that email, I began programming AMXtex, a DirectX .X model and animation exporter for A:M. Four years later, in 2005, I began working on AMXdtsPlus, a Torque DTS/DSQ model and animation exporter.

Lately though, the combination of my personal and professional life has left me with very little time to pursue my work with Animation:Master, and it's with a heavy heart that I am announcing that effective immediately, Obsidian Games will be closing its doors.

AMXtex and AMXdtsPlus, while I made them available for sale, were always more a labor of love than a profitable venture. I have always been, and continue to be, amazed at the work that people have done with the assistance of these tools. The creativity that I've seen, and for some, the dreams realized, are truly why I loved working on the exporters.

While my work on the exporters is coming to a close, I do not intend at all for this to be the end for the tools themselves. I will be spending the next few weeks packaging up the code for release, and hope to find good homes for them. Compiled versions of each exporter, minus the registration requirement, will be made available on the Obsidian Games website, and if I don't have another home for it by then, so will the AMXtex source code package itself. Due to some of the code and Torque file changes that are part of AMXdtsPlus, I will need to work with Garage Games to find a suitable home for that source code. As soon as I know more, I will make it known.

I want to thank everyone who I've worked with over the years, both at Hash and in the A:M community. While Animation:Master is an amazing product on its own, the supportive community and the tireless dedication from the Hash team have really made it what it is. I'm proud to have been a part of it.

Thank you for six great years!

Sincerely,

Chris Roy
Obsidian Games
Chris Roy
Obsidian Games

#2 Paul Forwood

Paul Forwood

Somewhere in the blue-green range of the spectrum

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4939 posts
  • London
  • Windows

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:08 AM

Chris, your dedication and hard work produced these excellent exporters and have allowed people to realise their dream of a direct link between A:M and a games engine. I am saddened that you aren't able to continue the development of these tools but I hope that you continue to reap rewards for a long time to come. Thanks for all the help that you have given to me and others in the A:M community. I hope that you will still be popping in from time to time and if I ever get around to doing some more work on the TWO game I will let you know. Enjoy your extra time with your family! :)
Fishin' Music video CURRENTLY ON HOLD...again!

#3 KenH

KenH

Blind Lord of all he sees.

• Film
  • 13769 posts
  • Ken Heslip
  • Dublin,Ireland
  • Windows
  • Contests Won:***(mascot)

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:25 PM

A sad time for AM tributary business. Don't be a stranger and who knows what might happen in the future. Good luck.
Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models
Get your AM problems fixed at AM:Reports

#4 wwoelbel

wwoelbel

Curmudgeon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Bill Woelbeling
  • Carbondale, IL
  • Windows

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

Hi Chris; While I am truly unhappy that you have made the decision to close Obsidian, I understand and respect your choice and thank you very much for the work that you have done and the very gracious way you chose to terminate. I wish you all the best and hope to see you around the community. Bill Woelbeling Data Visualization Technology CDM, Inc Carbondale, IL

#5 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • 6962 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:26 PM

Six years! I hadn't realized it had been that long. Thanks Chris for your hard work and most excellent product. You made a lot of people happy in their efforts to get into gaming. Good luck in your future endeavors.
"Animation is 90 percent hard work.  The other half is entirely mental!"
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#6 cfree68f

cfree68f

Mentor

• 1614 posts
  • Windows

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

AcccK.. NOOOOOOO! I'm just about to start work on an MMOG with Torque and I was hoping to use Your exporters for it, and your expertise ;-) sigh. Well good luck with your future ventures and I hope that you don't have any issues finding homes for the code. If you do find it hard to find homes for the code, can you let us know. We have a games group in IBM that works with Torque and we might be able to find a spot and further support for the code with them if know one else can support it. Thanks for all the hard work and effort!

#7 dingo

dingo

Prolific

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • James Griggs
  • Northern, VA USA
  • Windows
  • Contests Won:1

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:02 AM

Please Please Please NOOOOOOOOOO! Can you give the code to Hash? so we can have the .X exporter? That's the only way to get to animated fbx characters for me! Please don't go!!! Peace, dingo
Splining since Ver.3 Booyah!

#8 Heiner

Heiner

Craftsman

• *A:M User*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Heiner Stiller
  • Germany
  • Windows

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:50 AM

Thats indeed sad news since the AMtex exporter is the only real connection to lots of games engines. But your deceision must be respected. Anyway, i just hope, that you take care, that the project will go on and that you pass it on to someone, who continues the good work. Hash would be the best option ... in my humble opinion. Cheers, Heiner
Question: When i started working with Hash software, it was called Playmation ... am i old? I dont feel so ...

#9 Zaryin

Zaryin

Savant of Nothing

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 2696 posts
  • Jeff Bolle
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Windows
  • Contests Won:**

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:41 PM

I always loved that you were going these exporters. I just wish I have a friend who would work on the programming while I did the other stuff. It's sad to here this, but it's understandable. I hope Hash will at least pick up the .X exporter. I also hope you find a home for the code of the other. Good Luck.
I think, therefore I am -- I think

#10 Wolvardo

Wolvardo

New User

• *A:M User*
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Gerardo Topete
  • old version
  • Windows

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:15 PM

Wow! How bad news for us but Im thinking are quite a little bit good ones for you friend! I belive that you had time to make that desicion, and I think was your best desicion. Now I really hope you find a nice and relaxed life with this new path that you have chosen... Thank you for your patience and dedication to your greate product fella! Have a nice life!

#11 dborruso

dborruso

Prolific

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Dennis Borruso
  • New York
  • Windows

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:08 AM

Oh wow. I haven't been to this part of the forum for a while, but I have been using the directx plugin. I am very sad you will be discontinuing it. I will continue developing my current game with it. Thanks for helping make froggy boxing a reality. Best of luck to you.
Dennis Borruso

#12 jobusfest

jobusfest

New User

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Eric Warner
  • Windows

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:21 AM

Chris I am sorry to hear that your X file plug-in is currently in limbo until you find someone to take it over. I have just recently gotten the game building bug and have found an immediate need for your plugin. I am playing with 3D gamestudio and have discovered that texture info and vertex weighting cannot be transferred with the files that are converted to X format unless the Hash AMXtex plug-in is registered. It appears that there is not currently a way to purchase a registration number. Please save me from having to texture models in the Gamestudio Med program. Your help with getting registration info (I'm willing to pay) would be greatly appreciated. Eric Warner

#13 Emilio Le Roux

Emilio Le Roux

author of Sweeper

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • - - - -
  • Programmer:Yes

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

I use the AMXtex plugin regularly. After some months, decided to look around on obsidiangames.com only to found the bad news. Anyway, thank you very much for this plug-in, Chris. It means a lot of help!

#14 Fuchur

Fuchur

PatchWorker

• Hash Fellow
  • 5004 posts
  • Gerald Zum Gahr
  • Karlsruhe, Germany
  • current
  • Windows

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:16 AM

I use the AMXtex plugin regularly. After some months, decided to look around on obsidiangames.com only to found the bad news. Anyway, thank you very much for this plug-in, Chris. It means a lot of help!

As far as I understand it, the code will be donated to the A:M Community... but that news is a while ago and nothing happend till now...
Hopefully Chris finds the time to do it anyway...

I'd like to use Quest3d for some projects and it uses the *.x-file as its standard...

*Fuchur*
"I know, that I don't know."
See my projects, tutorials, reviews and join the German Animation:Master-Community at
www.PatchWork3d.de

Name: Gerald Zum Gahr, alias Fuchur
What stands "Fuchur" for?

Do want to see my favorite A:M-images?
Best of A:M collected by Gerald Zum Gahr

Searching for a *.X-Exporter(DirectX) or a *.dts-Exporter(Torque) for A:M?
Exporter Page

And how can I export to *.FBX-files or other 3d- / game-engines?
FBX-Pipeline to Unity3d / DirectX-Pipeline to Quest3d

Need more converters? *.obj OBJ), *.lwo , *.act or *.dxf ?
Arthur Walaseks' Exporters

Searching for great and free plugins?
www.sgross.com by Steffen Gross

You are searching for tutorials? More video- and text-tutorials can be found here:
Tutorial section of PW3d

You want to make your own video tutorial?
Recommended Tools and Step By Step Instructions

"R M B" stands for "Right Mouse Button"!

#15 Obsidian Games

Obsidian Games

Journeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Chris Roy
  • Mac/Win

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:49 PM

Hi everyone, I'm very sorry for essentially falling off the face of the earth these last 6 months. Days became weeks, and weeks became months, and here we are. It has been a crazy year (*good* crazy, any day now I'm going to be a dad for the first time!), but that's really no excuse. I've received some very nice emails from people, and a more than generous offer regarding my work. It's great to see the Hash community still doing well, and hopefully, I can come back with a bit of good news.

I've cleaned up the AMXtex source code a bit, and have published it on my website -- Obsidian Games. It's now available for anyone to use, play around with, or base other exporters off of. Hash is more than welcome to include the source or exporter in any future release, and if it can find a good home, I'd be very happy. Please be nice with it, and if anyone improves upon it, please release it back out to the public. Also, since this will be the first time anyone has seen the code besides me, I'll apologize in advance for the horrible coding standards. AMXtex definitely started on a hope and a dream, and I have a feeling the code will definitely show that!

I've also uploaded some free public release registration codes for those of you with a version of AMXtex or AMXdtsPlus that contains the registration requirement.

I'm still not sure what to do with the source code for AMXdtsPlus, as the Torque license prohibits public posting of code, and don't have a lot of time at the moment to sort this one out. If anyone has some contacts at Garage Games and would like to find out if they can host it in their repository, I'd be happy to do the same and publish that code as well.

That's all for now. It still amazes me what people are doing with Hash, both on the straight render and animation side, as well as on the gaming/programming side. Best of luck to everyone!
Chris Roy
Obsidian Games

#16 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • 6962 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:25 PM

Thanks Chris. You are awesome and this gift to the A:M Community is sure to go far. Good luck on all your endeavors (especially the one about being a father!). :)
"Animation is 90 percent hard work.  The other half is entirely mental!"
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#17 Fuchur

Fuchur

PatchWorker

• Hash Fellow
  • 5004 posts
  • Gerald Zum Gahr
  • Karlsruhe, Germany
  • current
  • Windows

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:43 PM

Thank you so much Chris! *Fuchur*
"I know, that I don't know."
See my projects, tutorials, reviews and join the German Animation:Master-Community at
www.PatchWork3d.de

Name: Gerald Zum Gahr, alias Fuchur
What stands "Fuchur" for?

Do want to see my favorite A:M-images?
Best of A:M collected by Gerald Zum Gahr

Searching for a *.X-Exporter(DirectX) or a *.dts-Exporter(Torque) for A:M?
Exporter Page

And how can I export to *.FBX-files or other 3d- / game-engines?
FBX-Pipeline to Unity3d / DirectX-Pipeline to Quest3d

Need more converters? *.obj OBJ), *.lwo , *.act or *.dxf ?
Arthur Walaseks' Exporters

Searching for great and free plugins?
www.sgross.com by Steffen Gross

You are searching for tutorials? More video- and text-tutorials can be found here:
Tutorial section of PW3d

You want to make your own video tutorial?
Recommended Tools and Step By Step Instructions

"R M B" stands for "Right Mouse Button"!

#18 Paul Forwood

Paul Forwood

Somewhere in the blue-green range of the spectrum

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • 4939 posts
  • London
  • Windows

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:31 PM

Chris, I just want to wish you and your growing family all the best for a bright future. Enjoy it all. :) Big thanks too for your generosity in releasing your exporters to the community! :)
Fishin' Music video CURRENTLY ON HOLD...again!

#19 Emilio Le Roux

Emilio Le Roux

author of Sweeper

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • - - - -
  • Programmer:Yes

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hey Chris! Welcome back :) Congratulations again for your work, and for your first kid. Thank you very much for this great contribution I can't live without :) I hope the garage games guys realize the benefits of the dts plug-in too. Emilio

#20 Drakkheim

Drakkheim

Craftsman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Simon
  • Anna TX
  • Windows

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:46 PM

Wow, how did you know I was planning on needing the dts export in the next couple weeks? Thanks for your great work and contributions and best of luck with playing dad :)

#21 cfree68f

cfree68f

Mentor

• 1614 posts
  • Windows

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:30 AM

Wow, how did you know I was planning on needing the dts export in the next couple weeks?

Thanks for your great work and contributions and best of luck with playing dad :)

Chris, First off congratulations! I don't have to tell you that its the best thing ever having kids :)

Thanks so much for releasing the code. I'm sure I'll get lots of use out of it.

Question. Do you know if the .dts files exported from amx .dts work with Torque Game engine advanced? I know that there where some differences in the .dif files supported, but not sure if the .dts had any. I'll try it out later and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Colin

#22 woolyloach

woolyloach

New User

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Ed Averill
  • Windows

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for putting this out to the public, for free! :-) I hope someone at GarageGames picks up the DTS exporter, I can become an annoyance to them and see if they'll at least host it in a licensees area. :-)

#23 AZ3

AZ3

A:M Observer Extraordinaire

• 0 posts
  • Darrin
  • Ohio, USA
  • Windows

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

I bought AMtex back in 2004, if I remember the date correctly. Some Indian guy with kids in the background. Helped tremendously not having to design my own file transfer type, etc., for x-files. I would be very interested in the process it took to do so. It cost $20!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users