• A:M User
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Victor A. Waters
  • Atlanta, GA
  • old version
  • Windows

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:38 PM

Is it possible to have two sides of a texture showing in DX from an AmTex export? I see it done in WoW, where if you view the inside of their models, you can see the texture on that side as well. I would like to know how to do this with AMTex. The closest I can get so far is to create two models, and have the normals flipped in the second model and put it in the exact same postion as the other model. This generates double the CPs and creates unnecessary loads of CPs that bog down the models in our game we are making. It is not an apparent problem in the short term, but when you have lots of models loading all at once, the whole show grinds to a halt for several seconds at a time. :blink:

Another issue is flickering, the way direct X renders is a scale of planes that are viewable, i.e. scale of 1-100, 1 being closest rendered item, and 100 being farthest rendered item. when an item is close to another items plane space, it causes a render conflict. the result is a flicker between the two textures during movement/transition among the plane spaces. The only way I can resolve it is to have all of the model connected together spline wise. I cannot put a disconnected model in close proximity to another without flickering. This presents a huge challenge as far as modeling goes that is very inconvienent and creates alot of extra work for the modeler.
:o
Another cool thing we would like to see is a mass action exporter for each model. We have anywhere from 32 to 128 actions per model, and would like to be able to expedite the export process. After we make changes to actions we export them and test them, each change requires a complete export of the model and actions, this gets to be a huge task between small changes and tweaks.

:)
Also, this is an extreme request that I doubt will happen, but I will put it out there: Particle effects, materials, smartskin, simcloth, hair, etc. created in AM would be rather beautiful in a Dx Exporter as well. I believe it could flesh out the export to a level that would make AM/AmTex the premier tools for Dx model and action creations used in all forms of DX applications.
;)
kkwaters31@yahoo.com

Reality is the Ultimate Role-Playing Game. God is a DM server. We each payed good money for this game, so what are we all bitching about when things get challenging?

#2 kkwaters

kkwaters

New User

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Victor A. Waters
  • Atlanta, GA
  • old version
  • Windows

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:48 AM

Yet another request. The ability to lay multiple textures over the same surface in direct X. The ability to lay multiple layered textures would be a huge help in modeling, also having an edge blend diameter would help alot, although I can do the blending manually if necessary. (take a looksee at WoW. The ground is consistently 3 texture overlays that are blended somehow.) :rolleyes:
kkwaters31@yahoo.com

Reality is the Ultimate Role-Playing Game. God is a DM server. We each payed good money for this game, so what are we all bitching about when things get challenging?

#3 kkwaters

kkwaters

New User

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Victor A. Waters
  • Atlanta, GA
  • old version
  • Windows

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:59 PM

Another issue is flickering, the way direct X renders is a scale of planes that are viewable, i.e. scale of 1-100, 1 being closest rendered item, and 100 being farthest rendered item. when an item is close to another items plane space, it causes a render conflict. the result is a flicker between the two textures during movement/transition among the plane spaces. The only way I can resolve it is to have all of the model connected together spline wise. I cannot put a disconnected model in close proximity to another without flickering. This presents a huge challenge as far as modeling goes that is very inconvienent and creates alot of extra work for the modeler.

Another update to this flickering issue, I have found that a single piece of arcitecture will also flicker, shooting a hole in the single piece vs. not connected peices theory. The next theory I will try out is to make a continuous spline and see if that also flickers...
kkwaters31@yahoo.com

#4 kkwaters

kkwaters

New User

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Victor A. Waters
  • Atlanta, GA
  • old version
  • Windows

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:38 PM

Another update to this flickering issue, I have found that a single piece of arcitecture will also flicker, shooting a hole in the single piece vs. not connected peices theory. The next theory I will try out is to make a continuous spline and see if that also flickers...

In the single spline test, I managed to break AM, and get the flicker problem there, so I have reported this to AM, and will see what comes of it.
kkwaters31@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users