Honorary human

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3586 posts
  • Gerry Mooney
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Macintosh

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:29 AM

I have the annual download version of v15 on both my work PC and my home Mac. But the PC version has the full library, with all the geometric solids, primitives, etc. but the Mac version has only a brief version with six character models (and items in other categories, I mainly mention the models library just as an example). I also wanted to add materials (or other items) to the library, or start my own I guess, but looking around in the app folder I can't seem to locate either the existing libraries or a place to put additions. The Library item in the Data folder is only 4kb so I know that ain't it! While poking around in there I also became curious about the existence of the dictionary. What function does it serve?

"When fortune comes, seize her firmly by the forelock, for I tell you she is bald in back." - Leonardo daVinci

#2 Jeetman

Jeetman

Prolific

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • George Dugas
  • Rhode Island
  • Windows

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:58 AM

I have the annual download version of v15 on both my work PC and my home Mac. But the PC version has the full library, with all the geometric solids, primitives, etc. but the Mac version has only a brief version with six character models (and items in other categories, I mainly mention the models library just as an example).

I also wanted to add materials (or other items) to the library, or start my own I guess, but looking around in the app folder I can't seem to locate either the existing libraries or a place to put additions. The Library item in the Data folder is only 4kb so I know that ain't it!

While poking around in there I also became curious about the existence of the dictionary. What function does it serve?

I could be wrong but I believe the dictionary is for the dopesheet.

George
Boards don't hit back!
Bruce Lee (Enter the Dragon)

#3 Gerry

Gerry

Honorary human

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 3586 posts
  • Gerry Mooney
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Macintosh

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:14 AM

That's a feature I'm unfamiliar with. I should probably look into it.

"When fortune comes, seize her firmly by the forelock, for I tell you she is bald in back." - Leonardo daVinci

#4 rusty

rusty

3D Since 1992: 92-99 tS2; 99-00 Max; 00-01 XSI; 01-present Hash

• *A:M User*
  • 1816 posts
  • Rusty Williamson
  • San Diego, CA
  • Windows

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:02 AM

I have the annual download version of v15 on both my work PC and my home Mac. But the PC version has the full library, with all the geometric solids, primitives, etc. but the Mac version has only a brief version with six character models (and items in other categories, I mainly mention the models library just as an example).

I also wanted to add materials (or other items) to the library, or start my own I guess, but looking around in the app folder I can't seem to locate either the existing libraries or a place to put additions. The Library item in the Data folder is only 4kb so I know that ain't it!

While poking around in there I also became curious about the existence of the dictionary. What function does it serve?

Gerry,

I'm very into the AM Library, my resource pool is almost a gig in size. What I do is sort my models, materials, images, chors, etc into folders then run a utility called Library Manager written by Glenn Anthofer (I worked with him on the design). This places the folder structure and files into a lib file and therefore it appears in the AM library*. It is incredibly flexible and can be automated to keep the lib file up to date. However, looking at your profile I saw 'Mac' and I have no idea if it will work on a Mac. I also do not know if it will work with V15 (I'm staying on V14 until my current project is completed).

If you wish to try it, search for 'library manager' or 'libmgr' on the forum -- I believe it is still posted on my site (I'm on my laptop and not at home and can't check from here). If you can't find it send me a PM... er... I guess PMs are gone... so, post to this thread and I'll get the info to you.

Yes the Dictionary is part of AM's lip sync.

* You have to tell AM where your library files are located. If you keep them located in the AM program... well, on occasion you may need to completely uninstall AM (delete all files and clean the registry {not on a Mac I guess}) and re-install it and whop! You can delete you library file(s) which can be a disaster to some folks.

Cheers,
Rusty
"There's always an answer."
"Buy real estate! Then buy more and more and more!"
--------------------
Rusty Williamson
Owner

Virtualmedia Studios
An R & D effort to promote reading.
www.virtualmediastudios.com

"The SPIRAL SLAYER" A Sci-fi Epic -- Work In Progress at Virtualmedia Studios

System Info:
(Primary Development Box/Slave 1) Alienware Aurora ALX / Intel Core i7 960 (3.2GHz, 8MB Cache)
9GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3 / Single ATI Radeon HD 5970, 2GB GDDR5
1.2TB RAID 0 (2x 640GB SATA-II, 7,200 RPM, 16MB Cache HDDs)
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit / Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
(Devl Sys 2/Render Slave 2) Alienware M14xR2 / Windows 8 (64bit) SP0
Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz /6 Gb RAM /NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Hitachi HTS727550A9E364 7200 RPM 465.8 GB / Sound Blaster Recon3Di
(Render Farm Slaves 3-8 -- XP Prof SP2) (Devl Sys 1/Render Slave 1) Boxx 3200, Athlon 64X2 4800+, 3GB DDR400, Win7 64bit;
Dell/Dim8200/P4 2.53GHz/1Gb; 2xDell/Dim2350/Celeron
2GHz/1Gb; Dell/Oplex/2xP3 866MHz/1Gb; HP P3 800MHz/512Mb; eMachine P3 800MHz/512Mb

#5 Gerry

Gerry

Honorary human

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 3586 posts
  • Gerry Mooney
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Macintosh

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:21 AM

Thanks Rusty, that's a big help! I still need to find out about the library on the Mac. As I said, the PC version has the full Hash library installed, but for some reason I don't have the same resources available on the Mac version. If the libraries are stored outside the app folder it's probably that the libraries were installed by previous versions and the new version just knows where to look. My Mac is brand new and doesn't have any previous versions installed, so (I'm thinking) no libs.

#6 Caroline

Caroline

Mentor

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • 1249 posts
  • Gold Coast, QLD.
  • Windows

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:03 PM

Did you download ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/misc/data.zip?

The web application only comes with the program, so you may need to download the 160mb of data.

Could you copy it from the pc to the mac instead? They are only text files.

#7 BMatthews

BMatthews

New User

• A:M User
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Bruce Matthews
  • Windows

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:16 AM

If you wish to try it, search for 'library manager' or 'libmgr' on the forum -- I believe it is still posted on my site (I'm on my laptop and not at home and can't check from here). If you can't find it send me a PM... er... I guess PMs are gone... so, post to this thread and I'll get the info to you.

Hi Rusty,

The version of library manager I found was something like Beta 0.39. Is this the one you were referring to or is there a non-beta version I should use?

Many thanks,
Bruce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users