Hash, Inc. Forums

Gun rigging

higginsdj

I have a gun, with detachable magazine and 10 rounds each round made up of the Cartidge and Projectile. Since I want to animate the gun, I cannot parent anything (or can I???) so how best should I 'join' all the parts yet make each part animatable (independant) when 'fired'. At present I have them as a single model each with their own bone - no parent.

Cheer

• Hash Fellow
I have a gun, with detachable magazine and 10 rounds each round made up of the Cartidge and Projectile. Since I want to animate the gun, I cannot parent anything (or can I???) so how best should I 'join' all the parts yet make each part animatable (independant) when 'fired'. At present I have them as a single model each with their own bone - no parent.

Of course... "it depends"

How do we even see the bullets while they are in the gun?

If the bullets and magazine need to be bot attached and unattached to the gun, I would give them each their own bone and not have them be children of the gun.

In the chor I would constrain them to and unconstrain them from the gun at appropriate times.

• Admin

(Note: I am assuming we are talking A:M Models here)

Since you've got them modeled and saved separately already I can think of two approaches to take:

1. Action Objects.

Create an Action (Use an empty Model to begin with) and drag/drop the other Models in.

2. Join everything up in a Chor and (alternatively) Export to MDL format.

Then you'll have all those Models boned in a new all inclusive Model.

(It's best to delete all the Lights and Ground Plane before Exporting)

As far as animating things separately, you can probably just 'disappear' anything you don't want in the scene by turning it's transparency up all the way to 100% or turning its activation setting to off if a separate Model.

This is my SM BoltGun model. Magazine is semi open so you can see a portion of the Cartridges and Projectiles and of course see them feed up the magazine as they are fired. (As a bolt gun the projectiles are mini rockets). I am constraining thenm in an action (as part of a single model). I am wondering if making them disappear would be more reliable using Activeness rather than transparency. If this is the case then separating them into separate models would be the way to go!

I am about to rig (and face rig) my SM models and I want the Seargent to be a cigar butt smoking/chewin grunt (do a nice close up) as he trains this junior marines at the range.

Cheers

Hmmmmm.. Just went down the Action Object path and although it assembles the model just fine in the Chor, none of the constraints work!

Edit - my mistake - the constraints appear to have 'selected' the model (Action Object) rather than the associated bone when I was adding them