Hash, Inc. Forums

Hammock for Summer Fun

fae_alba

Been playing hooky from work (not hard to do on a friday!) and decided to resurrect an old project from about 10 years ago for the summer classics contest. The basic idea is to create a Brazilian style hammock using cloth. I want it to hang loosely, forming itself around the body/shape lying in it. I know I can do it with bones, and shaping in muscle mode in the chor, but where's the fun in that I ask?

I've gotten the cloth material on the hammock, and a cloth deflector on the body proxy. But after the cloth sim is run the proxy penetrates the cloth. Add to that it seems that the decal of the hammock disappears, which is really strange.

untitled0.png

Capture.PNG

edit...here's a screen grab of the hammock model

Capture.PNG

You shouldn't need all the bone on the cloth. Are you able to get the hammock to just hang naturally by itself?

I've been playing with this all afternoon, and came to the same conclusion. Here is the current iteration of the model

Capture.PNG

And a quick render without the proxy body

untitled1.png

and with the proxy

untitled_proxy1.png

It's getting better. My goal is to get the "sinking into the hammock" feel, with the sides curving up where the body isn't.

Robert, your "super simple" test was what I needed for the light bulb to go off. I think the issue was the boxiness of the proxy I was using. If I mimic your test with vases, I get essentially the same result as you.

untitled_proxy202.png

There will still need to be some mucking about in action and muscle modes to tweek it, but since this is a still that shouldn't be too much of a worry.

• Hash Fellow

Properly, the ends of the hammock cloth should be done with an "attach group" rather than my dodge of excluding them from the cloth group. There's a link to a tut on attach groups in my tutorials.

Properly, the ends of the hammock cloth should be done with an "attach group" rather than my dodge of excluding them from the cloth group. There's a link to a tut on attach groups in my tutorials.

I added the custom groups into the hammock, and it did help in that before the ends of the hammock looked odd. Since not part of the sim the position of the edges didn't follow the rest of the hammock. But, now they seem to float away from the ropes tying the whole thing together. Also, I can't seem to get that "brazilian" hammock vibe.

you can see the unattached ropes on the closest edge

untitled_proxy100.png

Capture.PNG

the rig as it is now

Capture.PNG

The "vibe" I'm looking for

download.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Note that in the real hammock the cords that stretch from the cloth to the tree are all about the same length and they attach to flexible cloth rather than a stiff span.

The whole thing really is a single cloth system from tree to tree.

How about this.

Make the whole red area one grid of cloth, with bones (the green marks) about every third spline.

Only the Yellow area will be set to render as regular patches.. The rest of the red area will be set transparent with a few splines (orange) set to "render as line" as if they were cords.

After the cloth settles, scrunch the bones together like the cords are in the real hammock.

HammockLayout.png

Note that in the real hammock the cords that stretch from the cloth to the tree are all about the same length and they attach to flexible cloth rather than a stiff span.

The whole thing really is a single cloth system from tree to tree.

How about this.

Make the whole red area one grid of cloth, with bones (the green marks) about every third spline.

Only the Yellow area will be set to render as regular patches.. The rest of the red area will be set transparent with a few splines (orange) set to "render as line" as if they were cords.

After the cloth settles, scrunch the bones together like the cords are in the real hammock.

attachicon.gifHammockLayout.png

Now that was an elegant solution! I will note for anyone following this approach, moving the rope ends in the chor works, but you have to keyframe it as a hold interpolation and simulate the cloth to a frame just before moving the rope bones, otherwise it causes a simulation error.

I still need to figure out the best way to get the long ends of the hammock to curve up more than they are though.

untitled_proxy100.png