Hash, Inc. Forums

Disney buys Fox for $52 billion

Rodney

• Admin

It appears to be official.

https://www.awn.com/news/disney-buys-fox-52-billion-deal

For Fox's part this seems like a new way of splitting shares while maximizing profits as just prior to the merger Fox will split the parts of Fox that cannot be merged into a newly branded company.

On the comics and cartoon front it would appear that X-Men are now back in the fold with Marvel/Disney... so look for cross overs in the future... once the legal dust has settled.

And now Mickey can hang out with Homer Simpson.

Not only brings the X-Men characters (and the word "mutant" that couldn't be used) into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but also, the springboard of the Marvel Universe, the Fantastic Four. Also makes me wonder if they might stick the Fox Fanfare back at the beginning of future Star Wars films. Just doesn't seem the same without it.

• Admin

makes me wonder if they might stick the Fox Fanfare back at the beginning of future Star Wars films. Just doesn't seem the same without it.

Agreed. I hope they bring it back. :)

Looks like Bob Iger has managed to extend his presence as well: As I recall he was expected to leave in 2019.

At the request of both 21st Century Fox and the Disney board of directors, Iger has agreed to continue as chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company through the end of calendar year 2021.

Some reports suggest the purchase price to be higher than other reports. A Variety article states:

$66.1 billion, including $13.7 billion in 21st Century Fox debt,

13.7 billion in debt. Hmmmm..... Perhaps that is the motivation that kicked Rupurt Murdock into high gear to greenlight the sale.