Hash, Inc. Forums

Digital tutors

Dpendleton77

I was wondering if the gurus at Hash have ever thought of doing a series of tutorials on digital tutors. I know the recently blender was added could animation master also be in added in the future? I think that would be a huge boon for the program if that happened but who knows.

Digital Tutors is pretty selective about what programs they will do tutorials for. With them being acquired by a new company, they are expanding the programs they release tutorials for, however I don't think A:M fits in with their audience.

It wasn't until they were acquired that Blender and Lightwave were added.

That is true Vong. It took a lot of folks asking for Blender and I guess once plural plus picked them up they had no choice. I really would have like to have seen A:M on there with some fresh new tutorials but hey I guess I will keep chugging away. I have a site on facebook where I try and puch the product whereever I can.

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya.

From what I gathered with the threads and whatnot on the DT site (I am/was a full-paying member for months at a time over the years), it's not DT that determines what tutorials get made for what. Basically, I think, people submit proposals to them for a tutorial or series of tutorials. Then the tutorial maker, if accepted, makes a 'trial' or something. If that passes muster, then DT gives the go ahead for a full-on tutorial, pay them, touch up audio and insert all the video swipes, hotlink stuff, etc.

As for A:M getting a spot... I think it's totally possible. There are some pretty out-there (re: nitch) programs that have tutorials, so I don't think they'd have any opposition to an A:M tutorial or tutorials. The trick is to have one done WELL. This is the biggest drawback to a newbie learning A:M... lack of decent tutorials that are either dirt cheap or outright free. If A:M wants exposure, they need to put out quality tutorials that showcase how easy it is to animate in A:M, and they need to do it so that cost is no factor at all for the perspective user. Blender had this problem for the longest time. They have only recently (like, last 6 to 8 months or so, IMHO) really started to put out quality tutorials ("they" being "the blender community users"). The problem is...just about all of these quality tutorials are FAR too expensive for people who are interested in Blender. When it costs $15/month for some basic tutorials, and $0 to get the actual program...you have a "user disconnect". They are thinking "Why am I paying $15/mo for this site, plus $30 for that specific tutorial, and another $35 for that one, when the program they go to is FREE?".

A:M tutorials on DT would be awesome because I *know* the quality is generally top-notch (however, I have encountered some stinkers where the teacher basically says "Push this button. Now select this option. Now hit that button. Now that one. Now slide this slider.", without actually teaching. Lots of "how", very little "why". But, overall, I'm very happy with the quality of DT tutorials. I frequently take a tutorial for, say, 3DSMAX, but try to follow along using a totally different program, like Lightwave, Hexagon or Softimage. I find that helps me understand 'my' program more as I have to actually figure out/learn how to do stuff over how to do stuff "in that particular program for that particular task".

I'd love to see some A:M tutorials on DT. Someone just has to put in the effort to make a REALLY GOOD tutorial and submit it to the DT guys to see if they are interested in a series.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Hiya.

Thanks for all the kind words! :) I feel I must point out, however, that DT still does actually have some "in-house" tutorial makers. But for the 'other' programs, it's done by outside folk. For example, people have been asking for Blender and Lightwave tutorials on the DT site for months if not years. The general reply was "We don't have enough interest to justify it ourselves...but if someone put together a great tutorial, we'd be more than happy to do it up DT style"...basically. Blender was a nice surprise a few months ago. The first tutorial for it was building a little robot guy. Why? It was well done and enough people had asked for Blender off and on over the years. Lightwave *just* (as in last month IIRC) got it's very first tutorial; how to model a helicopter. In both cases, the person doing the tutorial is not one of the DT crew.

So...someone who really knows their AM stuff should do up a quality (as in well-taught) tutorial. Start small...like "How to create simple character motion" that deals with, say, a character walking forward and then sitting down at a table (as opposed to a just a simple walk cycle). After that, maybe do something about creating and using pose sliders; contiue with said character grabing a pitcher of liquid, pouring it into a glass, and taking a drink (don't have to do particles...just the motion). After that, maybe do up another that adds in the particles/water. That's the kind of thinking and tutorial "planning" that I think DT is looking for. A simple "here's how to model a coffee mug" is simply not going to cut it.

Anyway...I just re-upped my DT subscription a few hours ago (yay for tax season!...I always get back a few grand...:D ). I've found DT to be a great way to spend my "down time". I find myself watching tutorials for programs I don't even own because they are just fun to watch and learn from. :) I highly suggest that anyone should at least give a Basic month ($30) a try just to see all the cool stuff you can learn. Er...and then post "Give me some Animation:Master tutorials!" in the forums, of course! ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming