Hash, Inc. Forums

Cloak test

zandoriastudios

I tested forces with cloth in 16b

its having a bunch of trouble updating. Even if I delete keys sometimes the simulation does not change.

Ill change something on the 1st key delete all other the keys and re simulate but no change. Cloth and forces or even just cloth seems to have gotten very buggy in this version

• *A:M User*

Hey Will your timing is perfect. I had just posted on cloth and clothing and you update Tar. Excellent start. This encourages me to begin to look further into cloth. Great job on the texture as well. Looks like the cat was just skinned.

Steve

• Admin

Looking very good will.

The effect of stability at the top and drag at the bottom really conveys the sense of weight of the skin. Some post effect/overlaid wind effects coming across the desert at the appropriate time that the cloak moves would really sell the effect. Sound will seal the deal as well.

If there is suppose to be no wind then as Robert suggests the cloak may be flapping too much.

Very nice.

Hey Will,

Looks really promising man. I like it. I think the cloth is very close. Depending on how "perfect" you want it.

If you follow your earlier storyboards, the fight scenes will present a much more complexed set of challenges. Unless he throws his drape off to take on the Hyenas and such.

Looks both impressive and promising.

William

• 2 weeks later...

New rendering. I've gone back through the channel editor and tweaked the curves. I think the walk has more weight now, and the head bob is slowed down.

The background is something quickly painted in Photoshop, continuing to experiment with rendering the whole shot in A:M...But am thinking that I will switch to rendering passes, to give myself freedom to change things without having to re-render.

http://youtu.be/nQeRGSFDymI

• Admin

Wow. Very impressive Will.

I think you are on the right track with rendering in passes. That will allow some options that you won't otherwise be able to take advantage of and that may prove especially advantageous for a one man production. You'll need that flexibility.

Another thing separating everything out will allow you to do is the reuse of your imagery in other scenes (say a closeup... or to facilitate special effects), in promotional material, etc etc. ad infinitum.

Just in looking at this scene I can see that if you were to render Tar walking separately you'd be able to reposition him on the background (to align him with the curvature of the road as it recedes into the background) and even re-time some of the animation to gain some additional variability or further highlight specific frames in the sequence... all without re-rendering. If you were to go there, that would even allow you to pass the compositing task along to an assistant.

You are mining gold here and we are all witnesses to the event. :)

Looking awesome! A few tweak suggestions ...

I think the head is still bobbing a bit much. Maybe try to move his head a little more from the neck, and not tilt up and down as much. Maybe tilt left and right a little bit, but not up and down. His face would probably always aim towards where he's walking, the only variable is whether he is focusing on the path near in front of him or on the destination farther ahead.

The other thing is using the club as a walking stick. I've seen people use them in different ways. One is while walking; I found myself planting the stick for a little over 2 steps and bringing it forward for the 3rd step; in this case, you might need an entirely different walk cycle. The second way is in aiding an injured leg, which is more similar to what you've done here; in this case, you might want to exaggerate the dependency on the other leg.

Regardless, looking really good. It's really nice seeing Tar moving. The cloak effect is really good.