thekamps

Craftsman

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Rochester, New York
  • Windows

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:52 AM

And if so, where can they be found? I'd like to use them for a little animation. (I used to have them on my hard drive but lost them when I had to reformat...)

#2 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6909 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:29 PM

The TWO characters are still not released publicly as of this date. As TWO is making the festival rounds and SO is approaching completion its still a little early to release to the public or for the purpose of creating derivative works. If interest in using the characters compels you beyond that restriction the character are still available for TWO/SO related works. If the subject matter of your project and that of TWO/SO align the resources are certainly available for that purpose. My unofficial take on it...
"Animation is 90 percent hard work.  The other half is entirely mental!"
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#3 thekamps

thekamps

Craftsman

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Rochester, New York
  • Windows

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

Thanks. I'll try and do something else. I was just going to have them all at the bus stop with their "hollywood or bust" signs, each doing something in character.

#4 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts
  • Nancy Gormezano
  • Cupertino, CA
  • Windows
  • Contests Won:**

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

Thanks. I'll try and do something else.
I was just going to have them all at the bus stop with their "hollywood or bust" signs, each doing something in character.

awww...I say go for it. Sounds good.

#5 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23829 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows
  • Programmer:NO

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:58 PM

I was going to use some TWO characters in my Bus Stop segment. But now I can't.

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CDT (1700 GMT)

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#6 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts
  • Nancy Gormezano
  • Cupertino, CA
  • Windows

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

I was going to use some TWO characters in my Bus Stop segment. But now I can't.

I'm using modified TWO characters for busstop (almost done)

If I recall correctly, there was the agreement that TWO people could use their TWO work (models, textures, animation, etc) to promote themselves. Hash does not have exclusivity from what I recall. So IMO, bus stop (and other projects) qualify. Also, at one time, weren't the TWO characters being sold to schools, with script, etc as part of TWO university or something like that? Using and getting those characters out there helps promote A:M, as well as promote TWO.

That's the way I see it.

#7 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6909 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:34 PM

If I recall correctly, there was the agreement that TWO people could use their TWO work (models, textures, animation, etc) to promote themselves. Hash does not have exclusivity from what I recall. So IMO, bus stop (and other projects) qualify. Also, at one time, weren't the TWO characters being sold to schools, with script, etc as part of TWO university or something like that? Using and getting those characters out there helps promote A:M, as well as promote TWO.

This is very true Nancy. I was answering the main question ("Have the TWO characters been released to the public?" No, they haven't.) and I should have read into it a little more. Most everyone that worked on TWO has the files tucked away and if you search around the internet you'll see some animation tests etc.

If you worked on TWO and have lost the files just reconnect to SVN and access them.

#8 zandoriastudios

zandoriastudios

AM:Expert

• Hash Fellow
  • 3941 posts
  • William Sutton
  • Ooltewah, TN
  • Windows
  • Contests Won:****

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:45 AM

not 'the public'--just everyone who own Animation:Master and has a copy of them!!! My understanding is that everyone who contributed did so knowing that the work would be redistributed to the 'community' once TWO was done. So in my opinion, Scarecrow of Oz is the first (of many?) derivative works--since it could reuse assets created for the first production. I think ANYONE should be able to use those characters in the bus stop, just as much as 'keekat' (a copyrighted character from "Paw Island") or ANY of the many free models donated to the A:M community over the years. Rodney, you may not intend to come across as owning those assets, but that is how your post came across...I'm suprised that those assets aren't freely downloadable already (if they aren't).

Will Sutton

Zandoria Studios

#9 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6909 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

Rodney, you may not intend to come across as owning those assets, but that is how your post came across...I'm suprised that those assets aren't freely downloadable already (if they aren't).

I did see my post as being representative pending input from those more involved in TWO.
If I were to see a green light that suggests the characters can be distributed, I'm 100%+ in favor of seeing them distributed.
A TWO resources DVD would be ideal.

I was in favor of releasing the characters -during- the production of TWO and still am.
One must remember that toward the middle of production and immediately after TWO was in the can, interest in the characters fell off dramatically (pun intended). Everyone seemed burned out on the characters. TWO characters were to be released to the A:M Community but only a few appeared interested.

If there is interest in seeing the TWO characters released to the public those interested should post here! :)

#10 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts
  • Nancy Gormezano
  • Cupertino, CA
  • Windows

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

If there is interest in seeing the TWO characters released to the public those interested should post here! :)

Break those chains, tote that bale, fly like the wind! uhhh...not sure where you'd put them...itsa lotta biggabytes (including sets, props, etc or just characters? )

#11 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6909 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:15 PM

Break those chains, tote that bale, fly like the wind! uhhh...not sure where you'd put them...itsa lotta biggabytes (including sets, props, etc or just characters? )

Good point Nancy.
Should we expect interest to lessen if the resources are available strictly via DVD (i.e. with a similar cost of shipping and handling fee as with the Extra DVD)? It seems reasonable that key assets would be hosted online so that everyone could get a good idea of what to expect with the rest.

Potential caviets: Very few TWO resources are optimized for general usage. Most are production ready assets and some quite computer intensive. I know it'd take a team of folks to optimize them and prep them for newbie usage. Of course the resources could also be released 'as is' with a troubleshooting tailend of that to be expected.

A forum area could be set up to optimize a set of key TWO assets.
Those on that team could then have first crack at them.

Just thinking about the options... not planning anything at this stage... except the resources eventual release.

#12 KenH

KenH

Blind Lord of all he sees.

• Film
  • 13769 posts
  • Ken Heslip
  • Dublin,Ireland
  • Windows
  • Contests Won:***(mascot)

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

Use away, I say. Else we could make a CG cupboard for them gather CG dust in.
Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models
Get your AM problems fixed at AM:Reports

#13 animas3D

animas3D

Craftsman

• A:M User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Windows

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:05 AM

Maybe hold off at first, then in a short time make them available for general use.
When you're smilin', the whole world smiles with you - Louis Armstrong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users