Photo

TWO 2.0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#51 dblhelix

dblhelix

Craftsman

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:09 AM

the character in the beginning is great, the stern leader energetically blowing the tiny whistle. i hope all the fantastic instruments will be well on display someplace, i paused the film to try and see the wonderful weirdness. and the trees were pretty. seeing the rabbit was surreal; the a:m basic we've all abused, bouncing away "on the big screen" - as in, "oh look, it's Rabbit, he's an extra in a real movie!".
Vista Home; AMD Athlon dual QL62; 2GHz; Geforce 8200MG 4G; Wacom Intuos3 6x11

#52 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23818 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

Here's another element I've been tinkering with. The throne room reveal seemed unnecessarily dim to me so I did a gamma adjustment on it to brighten the shot. However, that exacerbates the glowing hair on Woot, so I made a traveling matte to cover that over with a darker, desaturated version. ThroneGamma.jpg

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CDT (1700 GMT)

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#53 KenH

KenH

Blind Lord of all he sees.

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13769 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

Good! The parade scene came out well too. I thought they had green hats. When's the deadline for the festivals then? Maybe you'll help us give SO a similar once over before release too.
Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models
Get your AM problems fixed at AM:Reports

#54 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23818 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

I thought they had green hats.

I changed the hats specifically so the "U R - GON" shot would show up better, and I changed the pants to white also just because it added some nice contrast.

When's the deadline for the festivals then?

They go by almost every day. Some have been entered with less fixes. The ones I'm shooting for now for this rev are end of June. With that the entry-fee budget will be used up and then we wait to see if anyone bites.

If anyone spies a free festival that fits our niche let me know.

Maybe you'll help us give SO a similar once over before release too.

My recommendation is to take the bugs out before you render. ;)

Robert Holmén
------

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#55 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23818 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

some glow on the lights chandelierglow.jpg

Robert Holmén
------

#56 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23818 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

Re framing this shot...
stare.jpg

to not look into the camera:

dontstare.jpg

A classic rule in narrative film is that no one looks into the camera unless it's established that the camera has taken the point of view of a character in the scene and in this case that's not the case.

It's hard to think of exceptions in mainstream film.

Oliver Hardy and Pluto look into the camera; but they're gesturing to the audience as if we were in the scene

Woot isn't addressing us in this scene. He's looking at the Castle.

Robert Holmén
------

#57 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • 6899 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

I'm not looking at the script at the moment but wonder if it called for Woot peeking around the tree? If you've still maintained that in the reframed shot then reverting to the classic rule will likely pay off. I agree with your basic premise but wonder what (if anything) may be lost in the refined shot. My memory says Woot moved and manuevered around a little as if not quite being able to see clearly to his target (the castle) despite no evidence of anything that would obscure his view; trying to look through and around us in this shot. Perhaps we in the audience assumed the POV of a bush just outside the shot. ;) In short, the script is a primary consideration in any shot. Regardless... a few idle thoughts that came to mind --prior to-- seeing your reframed shot.
A good idea is a seed, not a solution or
"You can lead horses to water but they still will not animate feature films."
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#58 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23818 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

My memory says Woot moved and manuevered around a little as if not quite being able to see clearly to his target (the castle) despite no evidence of anything that would obscure his view;

There's a later shot like that, but he doesn't look into the camera.

In this one he's way out on a limb of a tree.

Robert Holmén
------

#59 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23818 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:44 PM

The fabled three missing shots. My grandest accomplishment in having a character walk and talk at the same time. The background in the dolly shot will take an age to render so, for now, it's just a shaded render with final rendered characters composited on top. Attached File  2_02_024b_WootPullsStrawMP4.mov   833.85KB   62 downloads

Robert Holmén
------

#60 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23818 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

Another No Nukes hair adjustment on Woot. Before and After: Attached File  NoNukesHair_Before_After.mov   554.61KB   55 downloads

Robert Holmén
------

#61 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • 6899 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:30 AM

Nicely adjusted!
The glowing hair -could- have worked (this is Oz after all) but only if consistent throughout the film.

There's a later shot like that, but he doesn't look into the camera.

In this one he's way out on a limb of a tree.

Cool. I suspect you nailed that one well.
There was one shot that seemed to be a repeated shot somewhere in that area(or slightly altered version from another setup) .
Perhaps that one was it.

The fabled three missing shots. My grandest accomplishment in having a character walk and talk at the same time.

That was a fun sequence. :)
Perhaps those three shots were cut to quicken the pace of the film? (As I recall they were additions to the original script)
I do think Scarecrow waits and ponders a bit too long as the butterfly flits down at the end.

Side Note: I've often wondered how a very-tightly edited version of TWO (perhaps targeted at 30 minutes) might read.
Likely it'd read as entirely too fast paced but perhaps someday...

Keep it up Robert. You are doing great things!
A good idea is a seed, not a solution or
"You can lead horses to water but they still will not animate feature films."
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#62 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:10 AM

Did you change Woots head in that "tree limb" shot? It looks at a different angle. Unless it's just a different frame. I agree about sticking to convention. If it ain't broke... It's amazing how shiny hair pulls you out of a story. :D
Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#63 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23818 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

(As I recall they were additions to the original script)

It's true I did change the script.

The original script I got had them get to the sign, then Woot has a big pout and says he doesn't want to go anywhere. It's completely out of character and didn't connect to anything else about him in the movie.

Then they go to Looneville even though no one had wanted to.

Martin told me that was left over from a previous concept of the script and to change it, so i did.

My goal in the new scene was to show them shifting their opinion, one by one , from "not going" to "going".

It's not perfect, but it's an improvement over what was there.

Did you change Woots head in that "tree limb" shot?

Yes I did. Actually I'm not clear on what the original plan of that shot was. In the original chor his head is craned almost completely to the side.

Is the castle off to the side or is it farther down the road he was looking down in the previous shot?

If he's supposed to be looking off to the side, that's a problem because we never saw him turn his head from the previous shot and the shot is framed so tight it's not obvious. My impression on seeing that for the first time was that he was still looking down the road but had somehow moved much closer to the tree trunk making it appear in that tight shot.

I was surprised to open the chor and see he was still out on the limb and that he was looking away from the road.

I think most people watching that sequence would not get that he has turned his head to the side.

So for now, he continues to look down the road and that's where the castle is.

Robert Holmén
------

#64 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

The original script I got had them get to the sign, then Woot has a big pout and says he doesn't want to go anywhere. It's completely out of character and didn't connect to anything else about him in the movie.

That comes from the original story where Woot doesn't want to go because he's the only one that can get hurt. But your interpretation works too.

I think most people watching that sequence would not get that he has turned his head to the side.

I got the impression that the Castle is in the distance....to the side of the road.
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#65 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23818 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

Strange paradox... film festivals dedicated to low budget film making seem to have the highest entry fees. "SlamDance" the cheap alternative to "Sundance" wants $110. They're not getting it. The Toronto Independent Film Festival has a category for "No Budget Films (under $25K)" but wants $90. Nope.

Robert Holmén
------

#66 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23818 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

Another hair fix, this time "after" first, "before" second. I had to do the eyebrows too this time. Attached File  WootGlowAfter_Before.mov   268.72KB   50 downloads

Robert Holmén
------

#67 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23818 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

Some color correction and soft focus might help shots like this look less CG stark and more lit-by-fire. 2_13_08_colorCorrect.jpg

Robert Holmén
------

#68 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23818 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

I'm thinking the "medallion" scene, the one that starts with Woot all tired and falling down, would make more sense after they've been wandering in the desert rather than before.

?

Robert Holmén
------

#69 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

Unless there are no script related problems, it seems the more sensible way.
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#70 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23818 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:28 PM

experimental, non-official, quick A:M Films logo for the front. Attached File  AMFilmsJPG.mov   1.56MB   48 downloads

Robert Holmén
------

#71 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:26 AM

Looks good.
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#72 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

Very nice!