Photo

Wanted for testing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 WillP

WillP

Administrator

• Hash, Inc
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:55 PM

Hi, Looking for a few folks with a decent broadband connection to give our rendering client a quick test. You won't require the SVN TWO tree or any SVN client, but will need a few hundred meg of free HD space. At this time it would be best if you currently don't have our NetRender client installed and operating. email me willp @ hash.com and I'll get you setup with an installer.
Will

#2 WillP

WillP

Administrator

• Hash, Inc
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:34 PM

New version now available:

http://wiki.hash.com...x.php/WebRender
Will

#3 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7686 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:38 PM

I think you mean:

Also Can one start & stop the client without having to disconnect from one's internet connection? I haven't yet installed - because my husband wants to know before volunteering his computer.

#4 WillP

WillP

Administrator

• Hash, Inc
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

Yep, thats what I tried to say..

You can enable/disable from a taskbar icon. Also if you close the rendering app, it puts into a disabled state until you reactivate from the tool bar.

Will

I think you mean:

Also Can one start & stop the client without having to disconnect from one's internet connection? I haven't yet installed - because my husband wants to know before volunteering his computer.

Will

#5 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

ok - one more question - Which vers of A:M is required 14c? 15? - I haven't installed 15 yet.

#6 KenH

KenH

Blind Lord of all he sees.

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:59 PM

Oh this thing's so cool. It's rendering away and AM is closed! Closed! I can think of improvements, but I'm sure they're on the way.
Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models
Get your AM problems fixed at AM:Reports

#7 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • 6962 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

Webrender sounds like an impressive piece of work. 'Jealous' can't begin to describe the feelings I'm having here as you all are getting the chance to render in this way. This officially classifies as a historical moment in rendering as far as I'm concerned. Way to go Will/Hash Inc! Render a few hundred frames for me everyone! :)
"Animation is 90 percent hard work.  The other half is entirely mental!"
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#8 johnl3d

johnl3d

Tinkering Gnome

• Hash Fellow
  • 6934 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:59 PM

Well I have it installed but so far nothing seems to have happened.... but then this is a test

http://johnl3d.blogspot.com/

Video

"Try not! Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

"Some people dream of accomplishments...
others stay up late and do them" Probably an Animator

#9 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:21 PM

Hee hee - installed on the guinea pig's ... er... generous hubby's computer and now rendering. John - I had to close and then re-open the web thingy on the task bar to kick start

#10 johnl3d

johnl3d

Tinkering Gnome

• Hash Fellow
  • 6934 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:53 PM

Thanks Nancy I am getting stuff now

Video

#11 PF_Mark

PF_Mark

TWO Animator

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1820 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

I am not having any luck I have been E-mailing Will I need to learn more about this Firewall I am using <_< I need port 1750 to be open but it looks like it wants to use 1780 and I can not figure out how to change that?

Attached Thumbnails

• Render_Messenger_3.jpg

Mark Allan

#12 ptiversen

ptiversen

What goes Here???

• *A:M User*
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

I am not having any luck I have been E-mailing Will I need to learn more about this Firewall I am using <_<

I need port 1750 to be open but it looks like it wants to use 1780 and I can not figure out how to change that?

Try adding RenderSlave.exe to your firewall application setting too.
Start each day as if it was my last one, be happy and good to everyone.... triversen.com

#13 Tunames

Tunames

Master of None

• A:M User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:12 PM

Are there any minimum system requirments? I have an older computer I can setup to render full time.

#14 smwolke

smwolke

Apprentice

• Film
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:47 PM

I am not sure if there is a place to post problems with the web render slave so I will post it here. I do not think it is a problem with the render slave but a problem with the .cho the render slave is trying to render. The web render has rendered multiple jobs on my machine successfully so I do know that things work OK.

So here is the problem:

Today when I got home the Render Slave was chugging away on a frame in 2_06_30, was stuck at 10% and had been rendering for 4 hrs 33mins. Before this most render times were between 15 and 40mins. I killed the render server, since it would not respond to suspend or close. Then I started it up again and it picked up another frame (maybe the same one) from 2_06_30 and is stuck at 10% again.

Is this the appropriate place to post problems with rendering job problems or is there a separate thread?

Thanks,

Steve

renderslave.gif

looks like this is being addressed in

http://www.hash.com/...t...9918&st=240

#15 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6962 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:38 AM

I have Webrender installed but can't seem to specify Render folder or Data cache locations. When I select to point Render Messenger to it seems to get lost. (the hourglass continually shows) I think this issue was covered somewhere but can't find it. Are we still Webrendering? Edit: Here are the steps I'm timing out at: - Choose a folder for the output path. (This is where completed frames will be saved) - Chose a folder for the local copy of the data files to be stored

#16 ptiversen

ptiversen

What goes Here???

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:11 AM

I have Webrender installed but can't seem to specify Render folder or Data cache locations.
When I select to point Render Messenger to it seems to get lost. (the hourglass continually shows)
I think this issue was covered somewhere but can't find it.

Are we still Webrendering?

Edit: Here are the steps I'm timing out at:

- Choose a folder for the output path. (This is where completed frames will be saved)
- Chose a folder for the local copy of the data files to be stored

Hey Rodney,

First make sure that you have created 2 directories

C:\TWO
C:\twotempdata

Under Render Messenger v15.0 Beta go to the TWO Movie Project tab and and click on the browse diectory button to the right for TWO Render Local Output Path: and select C:\TWO

Under Render Messenger v15.0 Beta go to the TWO Movie Project tab and and click on the browse diectory button to the right for TWO Data Local Cache Folder: and select C:\twotempdata

At this time WebRender is still ofline but I received an email last Sunday from Martin stating: "We're going to try and get WebRender up again this week."

I hope that this helped you.

Is your WebRender from 11/21/07

Start each day as if it was my last one, be happy and good to everyone.... triversen.com

#17 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6962 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for that info! :) I thought that might solve the problem but the problem remains. Render Messenger doesn't respond to clicking on the button to go find the folders. Well... it does respond. It just shows the hourglass... forever. I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling now that the folders are in place. I am using the Beta you link to. Thanks again.

#18 ptiversen

ptiversen

What goes Here???

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:29 AM

Your Welcome Rodney.

#19 WillP

WillP

Administrator

• Hash, Inc
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:06 PM

New version is up: http://wiki.hash.com...x.php/WebRender

Will
Will

#20 higginsdj

higginsdj

OSX & Wun Subscriptions

• Film
  • 3699 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

Seems to be a problem with it...... It just opens then closes the Render Slave continuously. Messgae says Upload Test completed ok, project _02_03_01. Just opens and closes, opens and closes......... Cheers
D a v i d H i g g i n s
Canberra, Australia

#21 WillP

WillP

Administrator

• Hash, Inc
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:34 PM

Ok lets give this version a try. The one I put out before would work in debug build, but not in the release installer that I published.

Will

Seems to be a problem with it...... It just opens then closes the Render Slave continuously. Messgae says Upload Test completed ok, project _02_03_01. Just opens and closes, opens and closes.........

Cheers

Will

#22 ptiversen

ptiversen

What goes Here???

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:26 PM

I just downloaded it and it seems to be working correctly, downloaded project files and now its rendering.

#23 Ganthofer

Ganthofer

Iowa Bauernhofjunge, der in Deutschland lebt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:39 PM

I installed and got a message about a file that could not be opened. Below are the last lines of the Install.log from the new web render. File Copy: C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\V15.0WebRender\gdiplus.dll The file C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\V15.0\mfc71.dll could not be opened. User Rights: Admin I started the Messenger.exe and set things up as described. It started downloading the tempdata and stopped at about 148MB. When started again, it began downloading but froze on a file at 2%. V15.0 did not have mfc71.dll, I have copied it from V13.0 (asa V14.0 didn't have it either) into V15.0 just incase. Any reason to reload it? I'll be signing off about 1am my time (Germany) but will leave the PC running. Glenn

#24 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6962 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:49 PM

Oh yeah. Now we are in business! Webrender is connected and downloading now. Thanks Will! Edit: Webrender is doing its thing. :) Looks like I'm running at right around 28 minutes a frame.

#25 higginsdj

higginsdj

OSX & Wun Subscriptions

• Film
  • 3699 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:16 PM

Has anyone tried it in Parallels on a Mac?
D a v i d H i g g i n s
Canberra, Australia

#26 higginsdj

higginsdj

OSX & Wun Subscriptions

• Film
  • 3699 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:36 PM

How many Slaves can I connect? I imagine that since I can only use my forum logon then I am stuck using one machine only?
D a v i d H i g g i n s
Canberra, Australia

#27 higginsdj

higginsdj

OSX & Wun Subscriptions

• Film
  • 3699 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

Well it eventually loads the project but then just crashes before rendering anything. It's done this twice now. Trying it on a different machine now. Cheers
D a v i d H i g g i n s
Canberra, Australia

#28 ptiversen

ptiversen

What goes Here???

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

You can have as many as you want, under general in Render Messenger you will see User Defined Data insert slave 1, or slave 2 etc. But you will keep the same login for each slave general.jpg

#29 ptiversen

ptiversen

What goes Here???

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:12 PM

David, did you upload the latest update.???

#30 ptiversen

ptiversen

What goes Here???

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:14 PM

Oh yeah. Now we are in business!

Webrender is connected and downloading now.

Thanks Will!

Edit: Webrender is doing its thing. :)
Looks like I'm running at right around 28 minutes a frame.

Hey Rodney,
Thats the way it looks for me too. 28 mins and 36 sec.

#31 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6962 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:46 PM

Thats the way it looks for me too. 28 mins and 36 sec.

That seems a bit long for rendering this low a resolution but I'd guess the particles and such in the scene have a lot to do with that.

#32 higginsdj

higginsdj

OSX & Wun Subscriptions

• Film
  • 3699 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:10 PM

Well it downloaded OK (or seemed to) but thats it - nothing is rendering. The renderslave window closed itself at some point but the messenger is still connected. My parallels version won't connect. It seemed to take forever to test the connection then it tries to connect then disconnect but no successful connection. Yes - I am using the latest version.
D a v i d H i g g i n s
Canberra, Australia

#33 PF_Mark

PF_Mark

TWO Animator

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1820 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

I still can not get this to work I phoned my ISP and asked for help with my software firewall seeing they supply it too me. They did not seem to know too much about it I got the feeling the guy was just trying to get me to forget about this <_< . He claimed that because they have me on a dynamic IP # that the render server probably would not be able to stay connected seeing my IP # changes???? that does not add up to my I thougt this cable modem gave me a static IP # it did in the past I know that when I use to host games my IP was always the same?? I have done All I can think of and all that I can read about but it still will not connect to render server? Any ideas?
Mark Allan

#34 johnl3d

johnl3d

Tinkering Gnome

• Hash Fellow
  • 6934 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

I rendered two scenes today...weird that there are problems...I only had trouble with one former release...make sure you have the latest

Video

#35 jzawacki

jzawacki

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:24 AM

He claimed that because they have me on a dynamic IP # that the render server probably would not be able to stay connected seeing my IP # changes???? that does not add up to my I thougt this cable modem gave me a static IP # it did in the past I know that when I use to host games my IP was always the same??

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard, and that person should be fired for not knowing what the hell they are talking about.

First, it doesn't matter if your are dynamic or static, as your machine is making the connection to the server. Second, DHCP is MAC based. For the most part, even with dynamic IP addresses, most people keep the one they have. If you turn off your router/computer (whatever is directly connected to the internet) then you MAY get a new IP address if the lease has expired. It's only when they configure the DHCP server to force an IP change, does your IP change regularly (and there are a few providers that do this, just to be A$$holes) because your router/computer renews it's lease based on the lease length.

You can view your computers lease length by typing 'ipconfig /all' at a command prompt (start/run, cmd) but if you have a router, you won't see the lease length from your provider, you will see the one set on your router. You'll see "Lease Obtained" and "Lease Expires" information. Half way through that time, your computer will talk to the DHCP server to make sure it's lease is still valid.

#36 ptiversen

ptiversen

What goes Here???

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:59 AM

Help??? When Web Render starts up it says that the FTP upload failed? then it downloads the project and chr files and begins rendering when it stops rendering I get a windows error message that the program has stopped and I need to close the program. I am using VISTA Ultimate 32bit OS

#37 johnl3d

johnl3d

Tinkering Gnome

• Hash Fellow
  • 6934 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:52 PM

Tried this morning and got two where it was to rendered and got an error message and it shut down...worked ealier ...could it be web15a ?

Video

#38 ssappington

ssappington

I am a leaf on the wind... watch how I soar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:20 PM

the ftp server was down- try again (shut down and restart messenger)

#39 WillP

WillP

Administrator

• Hash, Inc
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:35 PM

New version now available: 15.0a+

Will

#40 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6962 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:07 PM

Thanks Will! For those interested. I believe this version requires 2GB of RAM. (Not that previous versions didn't but this one apparently checks for it) Looks like I'll have to update my laptops memory. This does seem to present a problem on my desktop though. I'm running 2GB of RAM but... the system only reports 1.93GB. Should this matter? Render Messenger won't let me proceed.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2GBRAM.jpg

#41 Fuchur

Fuchur

PatchWorker

• Hash Fellow
  • 5004 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:26 PM

Thanks Will!

For those interested. I believe this version requires 2GB of RAM. (Not that previous versions didn't but this one apparently checks for it) Looks like I'll have to update my laptops memory.

Really? So I cant render anymore with it? (I only got 1.5 GB)
*Fuchur*
"I know, that I don't know."
See my projects, tutorials, reviews and join the German Animation:Master-Community at
www.PatchWork3d.de

Name: Gerald Zum Gahr, alias Fuchur
What stands "Fuchur" for?

Do want to see my favorite A:M-images?
Best of A:M collected by Gerald Zum Gahr

Searching for a *.X-Exporter(DirectX) or a *.dts-Exporter(Torque) for A:M?
Exporter Page

And how can I export to *.FBX-files or other 3d- / game-engines?
FBX-Pipeline to Unity3d / DirectX-Pipeline to Quest3d

Need more converters? *.obj OBJ), *.lwo , *.act or *.dxf ?
Arthur Walaseks' Exporters

Searching for great and free plugins?
www.sgross.com by Steffen Gross

You are searching for tutorials? More video- and text-tutorials can be found here:
Tutorial section of PW3d

You want to make your own video tutorial?
Recommended Tools and Step By Step Instructions

"R M B" stands for "Right Mouse Button"!

#42 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6962 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

Really? So I cant render anymore with it? (I only got 1.5 GB)
*Fuchur*

I'm not sure. I should test FIRST... then report as this may be just a temporary thing.
At present I cannot connect though. The dialogue box I posted and the options panel are my only apparent options.

#43 KenH

KenH

Blind Lord of all he sees.

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:59 PM

Do you know what shot it is? Some shots require 2gb free ram.....ie 3gb total at least. With Vistas appetite for ram, it's getting dirt cheap nowadays.....8gb is now possible with even a medium budget.
Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models
Get your AM problems fixed at AM:Reports

#44 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6962 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:08 PM

Do you know what shot it is? Some shots require 2gb free ram.....ie 3gb total at least. With Vistas appetite for ram, it's getting dirt cheap nowadays.....8gb is now possible with even a medium budget.

No. I don't think there is any way for me to know which shot Webrender/Netrender has targeted for me until I connect.
The dialogue box pops up before that happens. (So... it could be something on my end. Tried it on two computers. My third has less than 1GB though so probably won't bother.)

#45 Shelton

Shelton

Steve Shelton

• Hash Fellow
  • 2336 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:48 PM

I have had up to five machines rendering. But eventually one machine will die. If I try to add the sixth or seventh they never connect. Steve
In Production (somewhat of a production) "Cupid's Sick Day"

#46 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6962 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:38 AM

I launched Webrender this morning and so far so good on my 2GB machine. Downloading files now. (Edit: A minute or two later... Rendering!) :) It'd be nice to have this computer rendering as I'm going to be out of town for awhile. Barring a problem who knows how many frames I might see when I get back. This computer sure seems to like sequence 1_03_02.

#47 goodguy20k

goodguy20k

The teddy bear tamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:22 AM

I went to double check some of my render clients today, and found out they haven't been running... ::Sigh:: So, I went to run it, and got told there was a new version, download it from the wiki. So I do, install, and it runs fine. (Although Rodney, or whoever, you might want to add the v15WebRenderStuff.exe download link, as I couldn't run the installer all the way until that had been installed (mf71.dll, naturally)) It shows (blinks) the buckled (connected) icon in the taskbar, and when I double click, I'm still being told there's a newer version, and to download it from the same said site. No jobs have been rendered since updating. Any thoughts? -Daniel
-Daniel H. (Goodguy20k)

#48 jzawacki

jzawacki

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

Try uninstalling it, deleting the folder, and re-installing it. I haven't had a problem installing (I have installed all of the versions countless times because of the method I am using), but I am currently having a graphics issue that won't allow it to run any longer with the current version. So all of my machines are now idle as well.

#49 ptiversen

ptiversen

What goes Here???

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

I just got this error when rendering tonight: "At this time We can not see CPU type on vista so it willnot render shadows right." What's going on.