Hash, Inc. Forums

I Need Your Help!

largento

Hey everyone, I just started a Kickstarter campaign to make it possible for me to replicate DVDs of Stalled Trek for the convention in May.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/197552...trek-amutt-time

I really need to spread the word as far as possible, so if you could share the link on Facebook or tweet about it or make mention of it on your website and email your friends and ask them to do the same, I'd really appreciate it.

Please help!

Thanks!

Mark

Thanks, Stian & Will! I really appreciate the support!

@Darkwing Kickstarter uses Amazon Payments, so it's basically like buying something through Amazon (Amazon doesn't charge you until your order ships and likewise, doesn't charge you for your pledge until/unless the project is completely funded.) I DO think you have to use a credit card (or debit card) or have your bank account linked.

I don't think there's a way to do it with PayPal. I had to sign up for some kind of business account with Amazon in order to do this.

I'm not a big fan of them, myself. I use a debit card, which is accepted like a credit card, but doesn't allow me to bury myself in debt. :-) You should be able to get one with a checking account.

There are those who would encourage you to get a credit card and use it responsibly to start building your credit. I was terrible with mine. I might be better nowadays that you can pay everything online, but back in the day, I found it extremely difficult to mail in my payment on time. Late fees and sudden changes in interest, etc. always put me into a place where I owed much more on the card than I ever used it to buy.

I don't know when it's going to drop off, but I've reached 35% of my goal!

Feeling a bit like George Bailey. :-)

That's so strange, I was thinking of it's a wonderful life not half an hour ago! And I'll check it out, if this let's me use my debit card online, I'll pledge, if not, well, we'll figure something else out maybe or something, or I'll borrow my folks' card!

Much appreciated, Lt. Cmdr. Harris! :-)

Thanks to you, I'm at 75% of my goal. I am completely stunned by the support from people. I didn't even consider the possibility that I'd get this far in a single day.

Y'know, just looking through your pics, but when you finish Amuk Time, you should really do a Vlog or something on the production process. Mainly, I (and I'm sure others) would like to know how you manage to produce so many assets so quickly. Like I know it takes me forever to complete a model and in the time I've done one, you've done like 10! Ok maybe I exaggerate, but still, I'm sure many would like to see a video version have you accomplish so much so quickly! And of course any trade secrets your willing to part with and all that fun stuff. But yeah, just a suggestion/hope cause I think there's a lot to learn from your project!

Excellent, Lt. Cmdr. Mooney! Thanks! I really am thankful for all the support. I'm just flabbergasted.

@Darkwing A "making of" video is definitely something I want to include on the DVD. This process was developed with the intended goal of being able to create content quickly and simply. The solutions really came to me while doing all of that work on The Wannabe Pirates. You start looking for shortcuts and realizing what is slowing the process down. I definitely couldn't have done this when I was first starting in 2007 (and looking at that original thread is complete proof of that!) :-)

Thanks, Gene!

I am just amazed to say that I've officially passed the goal amount and my Kickstarter project is funded! It will continue to run for the rest of the month, though, in case anyone else wants to order a DVD.

Unless something changes, my plan is to do this run as a special first edition with just the number of DVDs I get made. I'll send them out to the folks who contributed and then use the others to sell at the convention. I'm planning on doing about 200, so my fingers are crossed that I can sell the rest out there.

I think this will make it cooler for the people who did support me and then if I order more, I'll change up the packaging for the second "printing".

[EDIT] You posted while I was writing, Darkwing. Thanks!

• Hash Fellow

Wow! I didn't think that would work at all! :rolleyes:

Idea.... maybe you've thought of this already, but if you have credits at the end of your DVD, include everyone who contributed to the Kickstarter. Small type.

"Sita Sings the Blues" has such a list at the very end.

Wow! I didn't think that would work at all! :rolleyes:

Idea.... maybe you've thought of this already, but if you have credits at the end of your DVD, include everyone who contributed to the Kickstarter. Small type.

"Sita Sings the Blues" has such a list at the very end.

Take a look at the rewards offered and you'll see that I'm doing them one better. All contributers' names appear with ranks in the Thank You section as the crew roster of the USS Secondprize! The Captains appear as 3D puppet versions of themselves. :-)

No small type. :-)

I've been formulating some ideas for The Nightcallers and Kickstarter for several weeks now but it's too soon to go into detail here. Suffice it to say that Mark's success has given me more impetus!

I wish I could offer any solid advice, but I was completely taken by surprise.

For me, I had a specific need and tried to keep it as low as possible, because I *really* needed it to succeed. :-)

An interesting statistic I can offer: about 30% of the funds pledged have come from Kickstarter visitors and that's the area that seems to be growing the most. However, the vast majority of pledges have come from people I know.

I don't know if that's typical, but it makes sense. So if you think about it, if you're looking to get $10K, you're basically expecting $7K from your friends, family and acquaintances. If you know 7K people, then that's not too big a deal, but if you're like me and don't know that many people, it's a tough sell.

I wish I could offer any solid advice, but I was completely taken by surprise.

For me, I had a specific need and tried to keep it as low as possible, because I *really* needed it to succeed. :-)

An interesting statistic I can offer: about 30% of the funds pledged have come from Kickstarter visitors and that's the area that seems to be growing the most. However, the vast majority of pledges have come from people I know.

I don't know if that's typical, but it makes sense. So if you think about it, if you're looking to get $10K, you're basically expecting $7K from your friends, family and acquaintances. If you know 7K people, then that's not too big a deal, but if you're like me and don't know that many people, it's a tough sell.

A good bit of research to do is to look at other like projects on kickstarter, note how they posted, what they are giving at each level, how much they are looking for, and how far they've gotten.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, my Kickstarter campaign is coming to a close, and to my surprise is continuing to gain donors. The donations are now over 300%! I've even had an email from someone considering donating $500 to get the puppet-cameo!

Wild stuff!

Currently 52% of the pledges have come from within Kickstarter and 48% from outside links, which means the majority of donations are coming from people who just saw the project and decided to back it. That's a great boost!

79 people have pledged at the level for getting a DVD, with three of those choosing to get no reward. That means I've pre-sold 76 DVDs!

I'm still waiting for the final tally to make any decisions about what to do with the extra money, but as of now, I feel confident I'll be able to print 1,000 DVDs (up from the 200 I aimed this at) and still be able to look at getting some things for the convention (like a banner stand that isn't made out of PVC pipes.)

I'll post again as things happen, but barring something horrible, using Kickstarter to raise a small amount of funds seems to be working well.

Thanks, Gerry!

My Kickstarter campaign has entered it's final 24 hours.

Kickstarter says you get a surge of people near the end, but even if that's not the case, I am beyond thrilled with how successful it's been. I'm going to get to make my DVDs! Which was the whole point of it.

Giant thanks to everyone who's helped out!

...And that's the end!

$2,202.42!

367% of my goal!

I'll have to wait to see what the final tally really is, though.

Just checking now, $165 of pledges "errored," meaning I probably won't get those. In addition, Kickstarter takes 5% (presumably from the pledged amount) and Amazon takes an unknown amount (usually between 3-5%.)

I'm guessing it'll end up being around $1800.

That should more than cover the cost of replicating DVDs, printing the packaging, shipping them to me and shipping out the 87 DVDs to the backers. Many are overseas, so they could be pricey, but it should cover it all.

As exciting as this has been, I'm relieved it's finished. Now I won't have this constant urge to keep checking the progress and I can just focus on getting the work done. :-)

• 3 weeks later...