Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Rooster Sullivan

Xtaz

Thx David for PM ... I hadn't seen this last update..

I´ll post in this topic all my updates ( Which is better? Pictures or video? ) while I SQUETCH the Sullivan.

Then the SQUETCH's masters can guide me in this task.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I´ll post in this topic all my updates ( Which is better? Pictures or video? ) while I SQUETCH the Sullivan.

IF by video you mean videos of you squetching Sulivan....DEFINITELY video. It's much clearer to understand (and learn from :P ).

George

Pictures should be enough, Marcos. If there's a problem that requires more than that to solve, then you could post or e-mail whatever is necessary.

Very nice character!

STEP 1

- Scale_base_bone_install_bone_XYZ_axis ( top head or top comb ? ) FIG 1 - I used A

- Translate_base_bone_install_Z_axis_only (center of head or center of waist ) FIG 2 - I used A

FIG2.jpg

FIG1.jpg

STEP 2 - rotate_white_leg_install_bones (center_of_ankles) use_with_scale_white_leg_pose - I didn't need to change values. I used the default ...

FIG 4

FIG4.jpg

STEP 1

- Scale_base_bone_install_bone_XYZ_axis ( top head or top comb ? ) FIG 1 - I used A

For this one, I would use B...that way the comb would be included in the full body squetch correctly if you squash him into the ceiling.

- Translate_base_bone_install_Z_axis_only (center of head or center of waist ) FIG 2 - I used A

This one should be fine.

STEP 2

FIG 3

David, Mark.. please correct me if you find any mistake in the positions

I would move the geometry of the feet outward a little so that he's not bow-legged.

-----------------

EDIT

-----------------

I think I looked at it wrong...the leg bones look like they need to move inward. Also, put about a 5 degree bend in the knee...there are times where there can be problems if you don't, it's just a precaution.

STEP 3

DAVID, MARK ... Please...check if the start of shoulders is in correct place

FIG 6

I'm not sure about this one...usually that shoulder origin would be farther inside the torso, but for this design that might work. I would probably move it inward quite a bit.

---------------------

EDIT

---------------------

I would also center the shoulder origin on the 'Z' axis.

Thanks David / Mark

I had to upgrade the model ( see here ) then I used the advices that you passed in this topic to reset SQUETCH ...

The feet look good, the toes look good, the leg overall are good, but the knee looks like it needs to be lower. The ends of the shoulders could probably be moved out farther so that the arms will be able to be rotated down to the sides of the character.

...but the knee looks like it needs to be lower.

Of course it needs to be lower ... I probably changed the value by mistake

...The ends of the shoulders could probably be moved out farther so that the arms will be able to be rotated down to the sides of the character.

Check it now ...

Thanks David

FIG14.jpg

STEP 5

First, this one looks like I need to fix the middle finger carpal origins in the four finger installation. I'll post an update to the rigs later today, but, until then (and so you don't have to re-install everything) here is a model that you can use to fix the problem.

Delete the "Installation_Poses/installation_constraints_folder (do_not_touch)/hand_installation_constraints (DO_NOT_TOUCH)" Pose and drag that Pose from this "fix" model to your installation. This should center the origin of the middle finger carpals.

Now, on your installation, I would move the origins of the carpals toward the wrist more...here's an image with a recommendation.

13s_Posable_Four_Finger_Squetch_Rig_04_21_2008_middle_finger_carpal_fix.zip

step4_update.jpg

...but the knee looks like it needs to be lower.

Of course it needs to be lower ... I probably changed the value by mistake

...The ends of the shoulders could probably be moved out farther so that the arms will be able to be rotated down to the sides of the character.

Check it now ...

Thanks David

The shoulders look like they will work...I can't tell about the knees from the front.

STEP 5

FIG 15

This one I'm not positive about, so I'll just show an image of a possible setup and explain what I was thinking.

First, I moved the spine farther back to get a more realistic bend of the torso. Next, the mid-section looked like it should be lower (going by how the spline loops of the torso are modeled). That gives him a pretty long chest bone, but, the chest has to start below the arm. I moved the head lower (below the chin more) and back a little so that the head will tuck into the chin more when rotating forward.

FIG15.png

David

I used the fix that you posted ...

In the Step_4 -> orange/white/green_finger_install_bones -> translate/rotate_white_finger_install_bones -> white_index_fingers ... is missing the translate option ?? ( FIG 16 )

FIG16.jpg

David

I used the fix that you posted ...

In the Step_4 -> orange/white/green_finger_install_bones -> translate/rotate_white_finger_install_bones -> white_index_fingers ... is missing the translate option ?? ( FIG 16 )

The index finger is translated when the "right_finger_INSTALL" is put in place (the bone that should have its' origin at the base of the index finger and points toward the back of the hand), so you shouldn't need to translate it. However, it looks like something is going wrong with your installation rig...the "right_finger_INSTALL" and "right_carpal_INSTALL" bones are out of place. The "right_carpal_INSTALL" should have its' origin at the base of the thumb and the "right_finger_INSTALL" should have its' origin at the base of the "right_index_INSTALL". Is that the result of replacing the "Installation_Poses/installation_constraints_folder (do_not_touch)/hand_installation_constraints (DO_NOT_TOUCH)" Pose? Is that Pose turned "on" in the Properties of the model?

Hmmm, replacing that Pose worked without a problem on my end.

Today when I opened my project I noticed (???) that right_index_INSTALL is following the right_finger_INSTALL ( points toward the side of the hand ) ... but the right_hand_carpals_INSTALL (all) are in the wrong place....( FIG 17)

Are you translating any bones manually in the action or in the modeling window?

Can you post just your action file?

I didn't touch any bones in action or modeling window

I will send a PM with model and action for you Mark

David / Mark ....Thx for spend your time on this personal project

FIG17.jpg

I restart the SQUETCH process using the new update 04_23...

I finished the steps 1 ... 4

here is the results ...

Please tell me if I need to change any position ...

FIG18.jpg

FIG20.jpg

FIG21.jpg

I restart the SQUETCH process using the new update 04_23...

I finished the steps 1 ... 4

here is the results ...

Please tell me if I need to change any position ...

The origin of the thumbs should start inside the hand...which would also move the origins of the other carpals closer to the base of the hand. The arms seem right and the legs and feet look good. Since you haven't started on the spine, I won't comment on that.

Hope that helps, Marcos.

FIG21_update.png

Thx for comments David

STEP 5

FIG 22

Should I set STEP 6 with this type of face ???

I haven't set up a character with a beak, but I know that Shaun Freeman used a similar setup for a character that he was working on for his short "Cuckoo", which makes me sure it can be done with this rig. Unfortunately, he doesn't have that on his site any more, so I can't show you an example.

You could also strip out the parts of the bones setup that you don't need and go with a muscle based setup for the FACE controls. If you decide to go with a muscle system, Mark or I could tell you what to get rid of.