Photo

Sci-Fi Contest notification for August 2008

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 Eric2575

Eric2575

SplineMeister

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2570 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

Dear Steve: I just wanted to give you the heads up that I will enter this month's contest and that you can already have the first place plaque made up in my name. That's CAMDEN, ERIC. P.S. I may enter two or possibly three entries, so fourth and fifth place are still up for grabs. P.S.P.S. I liked the brass plaques better than the thinner colored ones ;) So, who's gonna knock me off my high horse, hmmmmm? C'mon, let's roll!!! -E
Check out my video tutorials on YouTube: Mechanical Modeling primer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onuWs511k_U

#2 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:04 PM

So, who's gonna knock me off my high horse, hmmmmm? C'mon, let's roll!!!

Not that I would enter or nuthin' and it just pains me to bring this to your pathetic lack of attention to detail, But FYI, Mr Big Showing Off Something-or-Whatever, the Sci-fi contest is for September 2008.

(hows that for a really pitiful attempt at smack talk?)

#3 Eric2575

Eric2575

SplineMeister

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 2570 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

Um, well...ah...ya see..ahem... .....the notification is in August for the contest in September...yeah, that's it, everyone knows that! Wouldn't it be silly if I'd'a titled it "Notification for September's contest in August", or "August notification for September's contest in September"....Now see what you've started! For all this trouble you caused, you'd better enter something, and not just Johnny cow flying through space ;) :lol: Wait a minute, did you say LACK OF ATTENTION TO DETAIL??? OOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhh, ggggrrrrrrrr Hi AL, come on in and join the fun :D
Check out my video tutorials on YouTube: Mechanical Modeling primer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onuWs511k_U

#4 StormedFX

StormedFX

Journeyman

• A:M User
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:55 PM

Just curiosity! What kind of contest is this?

#5 Eric2575

Eric2575

SplineMeister

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 2570 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:37 PM

Every month the Animation Master Web Site holds a contest - pretty much just for fun - to showcase people's work. There is a plaque for first, second and third place that get's send out to the winners, and the first place winner get's his/her work displayed on the Hash web site for the month. Here is a list of upcoming topics: http://www.hash.com/...showtopic=26956

Since the contest is supposed to highlight your skills, the work should really be your own. Good taste and keeping in mind that this is a forum visited by some very young artists should be kept in mind. Again, show off your skills, not your viewpoint. You have until midnight of the last day of the month to submit your work to Steve@hash.com - make sure you identify yourself. Since this is a contest, and since we all like surprises, entries are usually kept secret until voting starts, usually four or five days after last submission. In a week or so, Steve tallies up the votes and declares the winners. It is up to Steve's discression whether or not an image gets submitted. Reasons for disqualification are pretty much common sense, ie, nudity, gratuitous violence, etc.

So, start your artistic engines and take part in the challenge.

#6 heyvern

heyvern

Native American Mennonite

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • 4840 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

Ooohhhhhh!!! Sci-Fi! I did pretty good the last time I entered that one. Be prepared losers. I have a new PC... a new PC... dual monitors. You are all so... maybe... going down... if everyone has a bad day... and I get really lucky again and have enough time. Or maybe if a comet hits the Hash server and all the entries are destroyed except for mine. To be honest, lately I feel like I've lost my muse. If I find it again I hope to really give you guys a good run for your money.. if you drop your change on the floor and it rolls under the couch. -vern

#7 Eric2575

Eric2575

SplineMeister

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 2570 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

None of this I might enter poodle puppy puddle dribble. Pull yourself together and stand up to my challenge...Lemon merangue in your face with this coin under the couch running and hiding stuff. If you enter, I promise not to kick you off the winner's podium :lol: p.s. I'm holding your Muse for ransom - enter the contest or your Muse is poodle puppy puddle dribble.

#8 Tralfaz

Tralfaz

Prolific

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:42 AM

Dear Steve:

I just wanted to give you the heads up that I will enter this month's contest and that you can already have the first place plaque made up in my name. That's CAMDEN, ERIC.
P.S. I may enter two or possibly three entries, so fourth and fifth place are still up for grabs.
P.S.P.S. I liked the brass plaques better than the thinner colored ones

So, who's gonna knock me off my high horse, hmmmmm? C'mon, let's roll!!!

-E

Hmmmm.... more smack talk from Eric.

Wait a second... last time you did this smack talk, you whipped everyone's butts!!!!

I think the only thing we can do is mount an all-out offensive. Yes, that's right, everyone put together your best Sci-Fi entry and accept Eric's challenge.

So, yes Eric.
I accept your challenge.
And be prepared.
I am putting my high horse knockin' off hat on and am ready to do battle!!

Now, I just have to come up with an idea for this contest....

Al

P.S. Hey Steve. Better hold off on getting a plaque ready for Eric. I would hate to see you go through all that work only to have to scratch Eric's name off and put mine on!
I hope when I die....My wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her they cost!!

Windows XP Pro - 32 Bit SP3, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5 GHz, ATI 1 GByte Silent PCI Express Video Card, 4 GB DDR3 RAM - Custom built desktop PC
Windows XP Pro - 32 Bit SP3, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz, NVidia 256 MByte Video Card, 4GB RAM - Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop
A:M 14.0c (Oz)

#9 jzawacki

jzawacki

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:19 AM

I thought you were going to suggest everyone get together to work on the submission to go up against Eric. ;) Is it against the rules to use a model that was created in another software package and imported into AM?

#10 Eric2575

Eric2575

SplineMeister

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 2570 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:48 AM

Hmmm...well, first off - Al, BRING IT ON - hahahahamuahahahahmuahhahah - that is if your modeling skills aren't too rusted from working on that walking monstrosity in the blizzard! Second - usually imported models need so much reworking it's usually better just to do it from scratch. In any case, these contests are here to showcase your work and proficiency - how good you be. So it's pretty much up to you as to how much claim to fame you want to advertise for a given submission. Personally I'd like to see your modeling skills over anything imported, cause this is after all a modeling contest ;) Stian, where have you been? Someone once told me a long time ago that you had some modeling skills? It's been so long, I can't remember :D

#11 MMZ_TimeLord

MMZ_TimeLord

"THE MAN"

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1446 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:15 AM

Hmm... I think I may dust off my modeling and composition skills just for you Eric... :D Cheers!
MMZ>TimeLord
"Oooooooooh... that's gonna leave a mark!"

#12 Eric2575

Eric2575

SplineMeister

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 2570 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:25 AM

Atta boy :D

#13 MasterFunk

MasterFunk

Craftsman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:40 AM

Its on! I will take the prize if I finish on time... You're going down

#14 heyvern

heyvern

Native American Mennonite

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • 4840 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:47 AM

I don't think a TimeLord should be permitted to enter. With the power to stop time, run it backwards and forwards at will, it gives an advantage the rest of us just don't have. My own time machine doesn't really work that well which is why I don't use it for image contests. It requires a lot of setup and I can't always guarantee the results. Besides it uses a ton of electricity and energy is so expensive. It sends my carbon foot print through the roof.

-vern

#15 Heiner

Heiner

Craftsman

• *A:M User*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:52 AM

Sci-Fi ... hehehehehe ... ... prepear to be amissilated ... ... erm ... anticipated ... ... oh ... ansippitated ... Oh darn, where is my copy of the hitchhikers guide and my towel ... Baaabelfischy fischy fischy fischy
Question: When i started working with Hash software, it was called Playmation ... am i old? I dont feel so ...

#16 StormedFX

StormedFX

Journeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:03 PM

Sorry! I am stucked with my WIP... mat be next time... Here is one of creatures from Thai's novel calls Hanuman which I would like make it look as sci-fi character if I have enough time... It is half-human half-monkey but with only two arms. Hard to say who is going to win... :rolleyes: CHEERS!

Attached Files

#17 Tralfaz

Tralfaz

Prolific

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:28 PM

Hard to say who is going to win... :rolleyes:

Not really. Me.

Al
I hope when I die....My wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her they cost!!

Windows XP Pro - 32 Bit SP3, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5 GHz, ATI 1 GByte Silent PCI Express Video Card, 4 GB DDR3 RAM - Custom built desktop PC
Windows XP Pro - 32 Bit SP3, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz, NVidia 256 MByte Video Card, 4GB RAM - Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop

#18 Eric2575

Eric2575

SplineMeister

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 2570 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

Oh my god, what have I done??? Now everyone is in my sandbox talkin' smack. Heiner, I'm holding your Hitchhiker's Guide along with Vern's Muse for ransom...you know the drill, enter this contest or never see your Guide again, muahahahahahahahah!!! I do hope that you can still put two splines together without your guide? Masterfunk, you almost sound confident if it weren't for the ominous ..."if I finish on time..." Al, are you sure you're not too old to enter this contest, you're always talking about your walker :lol:

#19 Tralfaz

Tralfaz

Prolific

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:38 AM

ARRGGHHHH!! Due to my laptop upgrade woes, I am still without a working computer for doing A:M stuff. Not sure if I will be able to compete in the Sci-Fi contest. Oh well, at least that will give you folks a better chance of winning.... :lol: Al

#20 Darkwing

Darkwing

"In danger of getting things done"

• 2627 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:59 AM

i'd enter, but i don't stand a chance!

#21 Eric Camden

Eric Camden

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:48 PM

Oh boy! Haven't you heard the old adage: "It's not about winning or losing, it's..." wait...oh heck, it is about winning? Just kidding, it's about progressing, about doing something with your fellow Hashers, about perseverance, and having fun. I've found that it's the effort that counts, not the final product. If everyone thought like you did, competition would cease to exist and progress would be halted. There would be no Olympics, no light bulbs, and no Kentucky Fried Chicken (that might not be a bad thing). No one is here to tear someone else apart. Haven't you noticed, we are all here to help each other get better and succeed. You need to change your attitude my friend and jump into the water ;) -E

#22 Eric Camden

Eric Camden

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:46 PM

Besides, I've been so busy with Jinx Castle that I haven't even started on the Sci-Fi contest.

#23 Eric Camden

Eric Camden

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

There hasn't been any smack talk lately, so I guess it's up to me again :P I've taken a little break from Jinx castle to do a quickie for August's, er...I mean September's Sci-Fi contest. I hope you're all shakin' in yer boots, cause I'm a gonna win this here con-test. Look for that li'l Hash feller to be up to his usual nonsense in my entry :D Hope we have a great turnout, may the best smack talker win!

#24 Tralfaz

Tralfaz

Prolific

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:28 PM

Well, you better get ready Eric. Just got my new laptop all set-up and working tickety-boo! Whatever I do though, I will have to try and get done this week coming up, as the family is going away for the last week of August. If I plan on keeping my marriage in one piece, I don't think I will be able to take my laptop along... :( Oh well... Al

#25 Eric Camden

Eric Camden

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:33 PM

:lol:

#26 Kamikaze

Kamikaze

Mike "Kamikaze" Cossey

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1886 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:06 AM

Well I have hopes to enter, Im trying my best to enter all the contests that I have the slightest clue on what to do. It may look rough like most all my entries, but I should enter even if not fully finished or polished...
"It'll Shine When It Shines"

#27 KnightHammer

KnightHammer

New User

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:24 AM

OOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DARN YOU DEADLINE!!!!!!!!! Must at lest attempt to finish and enter.
Hey, I tried...

#28 Eric Camden

Eric Camden

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

I'm actually in the same boat, but I'll enter what I have, no matter what.

#29 Tralfaz

Tralfaz

Prolific

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:41 PM

Ditto... Al

#30 Eric Camden

Eric Camden

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:42 PM

I was hoping you would say that AL, because I will crush your walker with doom from the skies! Your puny Walker will be defenseless against my terror from space. You might reconsider if you want to keep your homebuild pile of junk (it's actually really quite nice - anyways, back to smack) in one piece. After I'm through with you, err, I mean your machine, it will go back in the smelter where it belongs :lol: -E

#31 agep

agep

To be, or not to bevel

• Hash Fellow
  • 2070 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:04 AM

I might only enter one image this contest so that the second and third place is still open for you guys
Download FREE Textures and HDRI Environments from:
www.nordicfx.net

My Portfolio:
www.agep.biz

3D Developer, Kongsberg Digital, www.kongsberg.com

#32 Tralfaz

Tralfaz

Prolific

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

Ahhh... this is good for me that you folks wish to live in your delusional worlds of Bigfoot, UFO's and being able to win the Sci-Fi contest. I will feel for you after your hopes of winning are crushed when the voting results come in. :D Al

#33 agep

agep

To be, or not to bevel

• Hash Fellow
  • 2070 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:47 AM

Bigfoot

Hey! That was uncalled for! Leave my father out of this discussion! 'key?
Download FREE Textures and HDRI Environments from:
www.nordicfx.net

My Portfolio:
www.agep.biz

3D Developer, Kongsberg Digital, www.kongsberg.com

#34 KnightHammer

KnightHammer

New User

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:02 PM

OOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DARN YOU DEADLINE!!!!!!!!! Must at lest attempt to finish and enter.

Yes!!! Two more hours 'til my final render for the SciFi contest. So any of you want to see it look to first place...than hope they put the top 100+ in their than look at the bottom of the list for me.
Hey, I tried...

#35 Tralfaz

Tralfaz

Prolific

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

Mwuhaahaahaa!!! Puny humans. I have submitted my entry for the Sci-fi/Fantasy contest. You need not waste any more of your time or bother to enter. My entry will crush you. Crush you like a little bug! :D Seriously though, I wish I was able to spend more time on this, but we are getting ready to leave for a weeks vacation. Not sure if I will be able to pop in over the next week or not. Good luck to everyone and am really looking forward to see everyone's entries. Al

#36 Eric Camden

Eric Camden

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:19 PM

Enjoy your vacation Al! Can't wait to see your composition ;) -E

#37 Gorf

Gorf

Craftsman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:04 AM

Are there any rules available to look at? I want to composite together the rendered scenery and the foreground objects separately, just because the difference in scale is so massive. Is that allowed?

#38 Xtaz

Xtaz

I A:M 3D Designer

• Hash Fellow
  • 1813 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:25 AM

well...well...well ..... I had an idea !! .... 4 days .... I believe I still have time I'm in ... :)
Peace

Xtaz

3D'ing Sketches

visit my forumīs gallery

#39 Eric Camden

Eric Camden

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:56 AM

Gorf: Compositing is fine as long as the main subject is done with AM. Wouldn't be much of a contest if you had a picture of a cityscape and the only thing done in AM is a model of the sun over the city. The main gist is to showcase your talent with AM, not your talent with pasting jpegs together. Pretty simple. Now get to it and turn in somethign cool. Marcos: I was under the impression all along that you would enter. Can't wait to see what you'll come up with. "It's a dead heat, the're neck-n-neck, it'll be a photo finish..." :P

#40 Xtaz

Xtaz

• Hash Fellow
  • 1813 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:52 PM

The first place was sent .... there is still time for you send your work to other places :)
Peace

Xtaz

3D'ing Sketches

visit my forumīs gallery

#41 Eric Camden

Eric Camden

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:58 AM

Send my work to other places???? Wow, I didn't know you were that afraid of my entry. So sorry, it's been send, and you my friend are going down...muahahahahahahahahahah!

#42 Gerry

Gerry

Honorary human

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 3586 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:00 PM

So do we vote now, or what? How does this work? I've been looking for some info but can't find anything.

"When fortune comes, seize her firmly by the forelock, for I tell you she is bald in back." - Leonardo daVinci

#43 Xtaz

Xtaz

• Hash Fellow
  • 1813 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:40 PM

Steve inform us when the contest is open for voting.. the entries will be showed in one page ... then we must choose 4 of them.... GOOD LUCK !!!
Peace

Xtaz

3D'ing Sketches

visit my forumīs gallery

#44 Eric Camden

Eric Camden

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

It usually takes about three or four days until the voting page is up. Since this is a holiday, it might take another day. I hope Steve is on vacation, because I still have not received confirmation of my entry.

#45 Caroline

Caroline

Mentor

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • 1249 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

I still have not received confirmation of my entry

You might want to check that he got it, because I got confirmation yesterday straightaway, even though it was a holiday or Sunday or whatever it was in your neck of the woods.

#46 Xtaz

Xtaz

• Hash Fellow
  • 1813 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

I got confirmation yesterday straightaway

same here
Peace

Xtaz

3D'ing Sketches

visit my forumīs gallery

#47 ssappington

ssappington

I am a leaf on the wind... watch how I soar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:48 PM

Yo, Eric- got your entry, as well as your additional request for confirmation- double check your spam filter- I replied to both-

#48 Eric Camden

Eric Camden

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:33 PM

Thanks Steve. I will check that.

#49 Eric Camden

Eric Camden

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:26 PM

Well, now that I've had more than my share of humble pie, I may think twice about smack talking again. Since my main purpose for this thread was to try and get more people to enter, I will console myself into believing that at least in that I may have contributed in doing that. Again, congrats to all the winners and artists that contributed. It was a great turnout. Maybe we can take Rodney's suggestion and start a thread with all entries and links to the respective pages telling a bit about how they were created. Cheers -E

#50 Tralfaz

Tralfaz

Prolific

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:07 PM

Well, now that I've had more than my share of humble pie, I may think twice about smack talking again. Since my main purpose for this thread was to try and get more people to enter, I will console myself into believing that at least in that I may have contributed in doing that.

Again, congrats to all the winners and artists that contributed. It was a great turnout. Maybe we can take Rodney's suggestion and start a thread with all entries and links to the respective pages telling a bit about how they were created.

Cheers

-E

I am curious Eric, which entry was yours?

Al