Hash, Inc. Forums

Constraints

TheToadStool

Is there any OTHER reason besides parenting hierarchy why one might not be able to choose a bone applying constraints ? I'm trying to rig a model and the right arm bones are not appearing in the dropdown nor can I apply constraints to them. I have tried moving them around the heirarchy and am pretty certain they are correct, yet I cannot associate anything to them, specifically translate/orient. I am tearing out my hair just trying to get this simple thing done yet I cannot see the bones in the dropdown no matter what I do. What am I overlooking? Please help !

adam

• Hash Fellow

Is there any OTHER reason besides parenting hierarchy why one might not be able to choose a bone applying constraints ?

I presume you really mean choosing a target for constraints.

Choosing a bone to apply a constraint is done by selecting a bone, RMB>New Constraint while in a Pose or (sometimes) an action or Chor

Hi I just want to say thank you again, Rob, for entertaining my questions. I get kind of worked up if I spend too much time trying to figure something out. It's better to ask, sometimes, than get into that frenzied state. There are some problems that are unsolvable, like graphic card incompatibility for example, but most problems are user error or lack of knowledge. I am working on my .bvh files as usual and trying to tailor the constraints to make the model work fluidly with the motion capture. I am cleaning up old models and realizing that I know more about troubleshooting rigging than I did before. I just enrolled in a college course here in Portland for Motion Capture so I will likely be talking A:M with industry professionals in the area! I know bvh is outdated supposedly but it seems like a good premise to work from. As far as constraints go, I'm not sure what causes certain bones to fall off the 'target' list but keeping constraints 'on' while rigging seems to cause problems sometimes. I am going through the old A:M cds and starting to study the different rigging methods with weighting and nodes. I just made some victories with cloth and hair so things are looking up.

thanks again, community!

love,

Adam